FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Help in creating Adobe PDFs - a computer question

Author Topic: Help in creating Adobe PDFs - a computer question
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a question regarding a problem with a couple of programs. Does anyone know the answer?

I have a 70 page booklet in Word, and I need to turn it into a PDF file. I print to Adobe PDF, but the links do not work in the new PDF file. There are links on almost every page, and I will print it to Adobe PDF several times in next while as I update the document, so I really don't want to add in the links by hand. Does anyone know how to make sure the links work in the PDF? Is it because I am using the print function? I can't find anything in the help for Word, and the help for Acrobat is just terrible and I can't find anything there, either.

*flounders* And, I think it's laughing at me. *pout*

[ November 04, 2005, 03:02 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

I'm hoping I didn't push anyone away who has an answer with the disclaimer above. Of course I didn't mean you. [Smile]
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
What version of Word and Adobe Acrobat do you have?

I would try the macro from the Adobe toolbar in Word (it may not be showing, right click on a toolbar and choose PDFMaker to show it) or the Adobe PDF menu in word.

I don't know if it will work, but it's something to try while we research.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

- posted      Profile for TheHumanTarget           Edit/Delete Post 
Kat,
Check the print options under the setup tab of Adobe. It may be an option that is turned off.

Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Are these links to outside web sites or intra-document links?
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

It's really bizarre, but I don't have either the menu or the toolbar. I definitely have it in other documents, but not this document.

I'm going to try to copy and paste the document into a new one, just in case the toolbars are linked to the document, and since it is so old it won't show up.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

The toolbars can be controlled by the underlying template as well, although I've never had the Adobe one disappear.

In fact, sometimes I have serious disagreements with it when I try to make it go away.

katharina
Member # 827

Okay, even in new documents the macros and toolbar won't show up, although I have Adobe Acrobat 6.0. Maybe it got corrupted?

I have already checked the print options, and turned all of them off and on. It didn't do anything.

There was one that said "Update Links", but even when clicked, the links still did not work. They are blue and underlined, but not links.

katharina
Member # 827

The Adobe one has dissapeared completely.

Grrr...I have a pile of things to do today, and I've been wrestling with this document for the past four hours.

katharina
Member # 827

...Hatrack? [Frown] Does anyone know?

Oh, I just knew I scared away the gurus with disclaimer.

I've given up, though. I can't find the place to fix it, so it will have to wait for Monday and in the meantime I am getting upgraded to Acrobat 7.0, so with any luck the new batch of bugs will not include this one.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

Everything I found that might help suggest using the Conversion Settings item in the Adobe PDF menu in Word. [Dont Know]
katharina
Member # 827

Yeah, I think my Acrobat is corrupted. So, put off fixing it until Monday, publish it now without the links, and get upgraded in the meantime.

Thank you, Dagonee and Human. [Smile] [Smile]

ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
What happens with you use Acrobat to convert the Word file (ie. from inside Acrobat, you Create a PDF from a File)?

This is a really stupid question (and will show my very limited familiarity with pdfs), but is it even possible to have links within a pdf document (since a pdf is essentially a document that's been turned into an image)?

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

I tried creating the PDF from inside Acrobat, and the same thing happened.

There is a button there called "Settings" but it was grayed out, which led me to believe it's the piece of hud I'm working with that's the problem, and that upgrading might fix it.

It is very possible to have links. You can also make forms and limited workbook functions.

dropofTapioca
Member # 7867

- posted      Profile for dropofTapioca   Email dropofTapioca         Edit/Delete Post 
What about trying an alternate 'word to pdf converter'? It's worth a shot.

I use freeware called 'gotopdf', which can be found at www.go2pdf.com/product.html. Brief instructions: After download and installation, open the word document, open the print window, change printer to 'Virtual PDF Printer', then press 'Print'. A 'Save As' window will appear, and then proceed from there.

Links in the word document are preserved in the pdf file by gotopdf. Or at least it does for me.
Hope this helps.

Posts: 32 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
I exclusively use Open Office. I have never had a problem with links or PDF conversion. Open Office has a built in PDF converter/exporter in the menue.

EDIT: By "had no problem with links," I mean that the links in OpenOffice works. I haven't tested PDF. Sorry.

[ November 04, 2005, 08:42 PM: Message edited by: lem ]

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
I just tested it and the links in the PDF document worked. Open Office will read word documents.
Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.