FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » An SAT Style Math Question

Author Topic: An SAT Style Math Question
J T Stryker
Member # 6300

- posted      Profile for J T Stryker   Email J T Stryker         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, So I'm taking the SAT's in the morning, and I've been taking online practice tests. I'm fine on everything except for a certain kind of question from Algebra 1 (which i took 4 years ago). Can Anyone around here explain how to do this problem to me.

If Steven can mix 20 drinks in 5 minutes, Sue can mix 20 drinks in 10 minutes, and Jack can mix 20 drinks in 15 minutes, how much time will it take all 3 of them working together to mix the 20 drinks?

2 minutes and 44 seconds

2 minutes and 58 seconds

3 minutes and 10 seconds

3 minutes and 26 seconds

4 minutes and 15 seconds

The answer is 2 minutes and 44 seconds, but i can for the life of me figure out how to get it...

Posts: 1094 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
figure out how many drinks each mixes in a given unit of time (drinks/second would be your best bet for this problem).

Then, once you know the rates, multiply them all by some time T to find out how many drinks are mixed during that time.

Then set the whole equation to 20 drinks.

You'll end up with

(R1 + R2 +R3)*T = 20;

Where R1 is Steven's rate, R2 is Sue's rate, adn R3 is Jack's rate.

Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Steven mixed drinks at a rate of
20drinks/5minutes = 4 dpm
Sue mixes at 2 dpm
Jack mixes at 1.3 dpm

Together they mix (4+2+1.3) = 7.3 dpm

7.3 drinks/min = 20 drinks/x min

Cross multiply and solve for x.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
Stephen can mix 20 drinks in 5 minutes. So 20/5 = 4 drinks/minute.

Sue can mix 20 drinks in 10 minutes. So 20/10 = 2 drinks/minute.

Jack can mix 20 drinks in 15 minutes. So 20/15 = 1.33 drinks/minute.

4 + 2 + 1.33 = 7.33 drinks/minute

(20 drinks)/(7.33 drinks/minute) = 2.73 minutes

Multiply the decimal portion by 60 to get seconds, and you have your answer.

Good luck with the SATs. [Smile]

Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Ha ha, Miro! Too slow!

Or, great minds think alike.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

[Razz]
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

One piece of advice for the math portion of the SATs:
Don't worry too much if you think the answer is not enough information. You can always come back to the problem later, and if there really isn't enough information you could spend way too long on a given problem.

I say this because I barely finished half of the questions on the math section my first time taking the test.

Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
(20/5 + 20/10 + 20/15) = (4 + 2 + 1 1/3) drinks a minute.

7 1/3 drinks/minute * X minutes = 20 drinks
20/7.3333 = 2.7 something, which translates to 2 minutes 44 seconds.

That's the long way. The easier way, the way you're supposed to do it, is to say 3 minutes gives you 12 + 6 + 4 = 22 drinks, thus it has to be the 2:44 answer.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J T Stryker
Member # 6300

- posted      Profile for J T Stryker   Email J T Stryker         Edit/Delete Post 
*light bulb goes on*

Wow... that really was easy... Thank you so much... I feel really silly for pondering over this for 45 min...

O-well...

I now feel confident in my ablilty to take this stupid test... You have no idea how stressed I am over it... I've got to get atleast a 2000 on it...

*disappears back into the darkness where lurkers dwell*

Posts: 1094 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

quote:
Originally posted by El JT de Spang:
Ha ha, Miro! Too slow!

Or, great minds think alike.

I could say the same to you. [ROFL]
KidB
Member # 8821

- posted      Profile for KidB   Email KidB         Edit/Delete Post 
Make sure you get "Steven" to mix you a stiff one after the test. You'll need it.
Posts: 53 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

quote:
Originally posted by J T Stryker:
*light bulb goes on*

I now feel confident in my ablilty to take this stupid test... You have no idea how stressed I am over it... I've got to get atleast a 2000 on it...

Did they change the scoring on the test?
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

Good luck on getting a perfect + 400 points. That would be impressive. But as Squick and ricree say, best to try to intuit what the answer ought to be than to actually pound through formulas on a timed test.

Do the easy ones first, then come back to the hard ones is my advice. That's what I did on the F.E.

J T Stryker
Member # 6300

yes... they added another 800 points to the old system when they added the essay.
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

2000? Did they change the SAT scoring?

JT,
I got a perfect score on the SAT, I used to tutor for it, and two of the big pieces advice I can give you is 1) stressing over it is a really bad idea and 2) there are tricks, like the multiplying by 3 minutes (which is suggested by the only fractional proportion being 1/3 and the answers clustering around the 3) to many of the problems that make them much easier to solve. I don't know that the night before the test is the best time to think about that, but keep in mind when you're taking it that, if a problem seems very complicated, there's probably a silly little trick like that that will make it much easier. (Oh, and watch out for the pos/neg switch, especially when dealing with square (and any even power) roots and be on the look out for the things that work except when x = 0.)

Good luck.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J T Stryker
Member # 6300

Thanks Mr.Squicky... I am trying my best not to stress over this stupid test, but i've been accepted into NYU pending my SAT scores... And NYU is my first choice for next year...
Miro
Member # 1178

I can just imagine the abuse until people get used to it. "Yes sir, I got 1600 on my SATs."
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

JT,
If you don't get it this time, it's not the end of the world. You'll have at least one more chance to take it in the spring. Best advice I can give you is to stop thinking about the score you have to get. Put it out of your mind. You'll do much better on the test if you can do this. Strange as it may sound, taking the SAT can be kinda fun, if you approach it the right way. I was out at a party the night before I took em.

J T Stryker
Member # 6300

True, but I would much rather not wait until next may to know where I'm going...

But I will do my best not to think about my score... I have to say, now that I can do simple algebra again, I feel a lot less stressed...

Ok, now i'm going to bed...

Thank you all...

Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
They have a math section, a writing section, and a critical reading section. The essay contributes to the writing score. They basically split up the verbal section into two other sections. It's out of 2400 now. I'll be taking the SAT myself in the semi-near future. I'm hoping to score in the 2200+ range.
Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

Critical reading, eh? Do they still do the analogies and antonyms and such or is it all crit reading?
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
No more analogies-- mostly passages now.

It's ten sections (Nine real sections and one ungraded "test" section).

3 Math
3 CR
2 Writing (Multiple Choice)
1 Writing (Essay)

Many schools ignore the writing section or count it as an SAT-II score. I personally hate the new format. My dad had me practicing for years, and they changed it on us [ROFL]

Good luck JT (and Mr.Funny). I'm taking the IIs tomorrow; hoping I do just as well on this one...

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
The answer is actually 3 minutes exactly. Not what they're looking for, I'm sure, but it's correct nevertheless. At 3 minutes, Steven has just finished mixing his 12th drink, Sue her 6th, and Jack his 4th. Which comes to 22 drinks total. But a second before the 3-minute mark only 19 drinks have been mixed. To get their answer you'd have to assume that three bartenders can work together exactly as efficiently as they would alone, a pretty dubious assumption. I'm actually surprised no else has pointed this out. *looks around the thread to make sure*

(And somehow I got a perfect score on my math SAT and not on my verbal. Hmm. [Smile] )

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J T Stryker
Member # 6300

[Party]

I think i'll have that stiff drink now Steven...

I think I did it....

[Party]

lord trousers
Member # 8741

- posted      Profile for lord trousers   Email lord trousers         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by El JT de Spang:
Steven mixed drinks at a rate of
20drinks/5minutes = 4 dpm
Sue mixes at 2 dpm
Jack mixes at 1.3 dpm

Together they mix (4+2+1.3) = 7.3 dpm

7.3 drinks/min = 20 drinks/x min

Cross multiply and solve for x.

The computer scientist in me says this answer is absolutely ridiculous, and indicative of the cloud of unreality that math professors usually walk around in.

20 drinks / 7.3 drinks/min = 2.739726027 minutes, or 2 minutes, 44.383561644 seconds. There are two problems with this answer, and the people making the SAT should be smarter than this.

First, if you round down, you'll get an answer that's too low. If you divide it back out - 20 / 2.733333333 - you get a combined rate of 7.317073171 drinks/min, which is faster than the combined drink-mixing rate of 7.3 drinks/min. They should round up instead.

Second - and worse - this assumes all three are capable of mixing the same drink at the same time without any reduction in efficiency. (Huh?) That's a really bad assumption, so let's take it out. In 2:44 minutes, Steven can mix 10.933333333 ~ 10 drinks. Sue can mix 5.466666666 ~ 5 drinks, and Jack can mix 3.553333333 ~ 3 dinks. 10 + 5 + 3 = 18 drinks.

(Assuming they can work on the same drink at the same time - totally infeasible, of course - Sue and Jack would mix one final drink together, and then both of them would help Steven with his last.)

Let's try having someone mix a non-fractional number of drinks and see what happens to the others.

Let's have Steven mix 11 drinks exactly. That's 11 / 4 = 2.75 minutes. Then Sue can mix 5.5 ~ 5 drinks, and Jack can mix 3.575 ~ 3 drinks. 11 + 5 + 3 = 19 drinks. Too short.

Okay, Sue's turn. She mixes 6 drinks: 6 / 2 = 3 minutes. Then Steven mixes 12 drinks, and Jack mixes 3.9 ~ 3 drinks. That's 6 + 12 + 3 = 21 drinks.

If Jack does 4 drinks, 4 / 1.3 = 3.076923077, which is larger than 3 - so that won't work either. We need an answer between 2.75 and 3.0 minutes.

Okay, that didn't work. Hey - one of the answers is 2.966666667 (2:58) minutes. Let's try it: Steven does 11.866666667 ~ 11, Sue does 5.933333333 ~ 5, and Jack does 3.856666667 ~ 3. 11 + 5 + 3 = 19 - whoops. I really thought they'd have it.

Well, it turns out this problem cannot be solved. Here's why: at 3.0 minutes, both Sue's and Steven's number of drinks roll over to an integer. At 3.0 minutes, they go from 19 drinks to 21 drinks.

Like I said, whoops. The SAT people really messed up on this one.

The worst thing is that people like me (both mathematical and incessantly pragmatic) would spend way too long on a problem like this to verify that they'd got it wrong. I'd finally put down 2:44 because that's what they were looking for.

I'd feel dirty, though. [Big Grin]

Posts: 73 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

Psst, lord trousers, look up two or three posts. [Wink]
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lord trousers
Member # 8741

- posted      Profile for lord trousers   Email lord trousers         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I saw that. You're wrong. [Big Grin]

It's 21 drinks, not 22. Jack does 3.9 in 3 minutes.

Okay, so I saw it after I posted. So what? [ROFL]

Posts: 73 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

There was a case many years back (though this story might be apocryphal) that there was an unintentional trick question on the math SAT that ended up being successfully appealed. The question was this: if you take a regular tetrahedron and regular octahedron whose faces have the same area and glue them together along one face, how many faces does the resulting figure have? The answer they were looking for, 8 + 4 - 2 = 10, is not correct. Don't believe me? Look here. (OK, so I skipped a few steps. Sue me. [Smile] )

[Edited the link so it makes slightly more sense.]

Mike
Member # 55

quote:
It's 21 drinks, not 22. Jack does 3.9 in 3 minutes.
Nope. Check your rounding errors.
lord trousers
Member # 8741

Gah! It was El JT de Spang's rounding errors!

That's the last time I use someone else's numbers. Jack's rate is 1.333333333 drinks/min, not 1.3.

Mike
Member # 55

No worries. [Smile]

Incidentally, if a hen and a half lays an egg and a half in a day and a half, how many and a half that lay better by half will lay half a score and a half in a week and a half?

breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Who are Sue and Steven, and when did Jack get so fast, I thought he had to drink them in between. Good job kid, I hope you can get as far away from this town as humanly possible.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J T Stryker
Member # 6300

Amen...
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
The analogies were the best part of the SAT. I loved them.

--Mel

Er...where did starLisa's post go?

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah I thought that too!
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

quote:
Originally posted by Mike:
No worries. [Smile]

Incidentally, if a hen and a half lays an egg and a half in a day and a half, how many and a half that lay better by half will lay half a score and a half in a week and a half?

I think that the answer is 20/21 hens. The original hen lays 1 egg every 1.5 days. Thus, better by a half would be 1 egg per day, so the new set of hens lays at 1 egg per day. A week and a half is 10.5 days. The number of eggs to be layed (laid?) is a half a score and a half, which is 15. Since it's "how many and a half", the many part will lay 2/3 of the total eggs, or 10 eggs. Thus, the many portion will lay 10 eggs in 10.5 days. This must mean that there are 20/21 of a hen for the "many" portion, since the hens lay at 1 egg/day.
Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

I think the way it's supposed to be interpreted is that "half a score and a half" is 10.5 rather than 15. That way the numbers work out better. It is rather ambiguous the way it's written, though, neh?
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

Oh. Yeah, probably.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.