FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I'm thinking I must be the Hive Queen

Author Topic: I'm thinking I must be the Hive Queen
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
For the past couple of weeks, I've been plagued by weird hives. They emerge and grow and itch like mad, then recede and disappear, only to re-emerge later on some other part of me. Any pressure to my skin will reliably summon the hives -- under my wristwatch band, the elastic on the top of my socks, bra straps -- but they also come of their own accord on other parts of me. When I wake up in the morning, I get to discover where they will be for the day.

This morning was especially excruciating. My right palm was a little itchy. Then both palms were itchy. They both hands were bright red and swollen over with what had merged into two giant hives -- like mitts over each hand. Then little hives began forming and growing and joining and running up my arms. I was clutching ice packs in both hands to soothe the itching and quell the hives, and after an antihistamine tablet and about a hour, they receded. It was maddening.

I have no notion of what is triggering this. Every day is a new adventure in itchiness.

Does anyone have experience and advice for the Hive Queen?

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Have you tried taking an antihistamine?
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalD
Member # 6222

- posted      Profile for GaalD   Email GaalD         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe you should take a break from posting on Hatrack. It might be the cause.
Posts: 853 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Some people have an allergic response to pressure. This includes me, alas. Whenever I bring in plastic bags of groceries, my hands catch on fire. [Frown]

Had you been carrying things or had other palm pressure this morning?

(No jokes, please. Papa Moose and all. [No No] )

Pressure Urticaria

I have the more rare form, which is "immediate" pressure urticaria. In some people, it takes 4-8 hours after the stimulus to develop. I also only have it on certain parts of my skin.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theaca
Member # 8325

- posted      Profile for Theaca   Email Theaca         Edit/Delete Post 
Chronic urticarias can be difficult to figure out sometimes. You might consider whether a food is triggering it, or something on your skin, like wool, a certain metal, or a certain soap. I read about some woman that was allergic to the adhesive keeping her artificial nails on. She saw doctor after doctor, noone even thought twice about asking about her nails.

Antihistamines can help. Seeing an allergist may be necessary, especially given that you have chronic unusual medical problems and are probably on medications.

Posts: 1014 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Determining the trigger has been tricky. I've been hivey in response to pressure on my skin, but also in areas where there is no pressure. I have not changed detergents, and I sometimes get the hives on places that are not under clothes. The foods I'm eating are not obvious triggers, in fact, I've broken out in hives on days that I was fasting. I've gone itchy at work, at home, in the car, and round and about other places, too.

The only thing that I can think of that is consistent from day to day are my medications. I would hate to think that I am developing an allergy to those, since they are doing a fine job of keeping me healthy and able.

Antihistamine does help. I swiped some of my husband's Allegra. But I wish I didn't get so hivey in the first place.

Hives are wicked itchy.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

I'm also wondering if the hives can be related to SLE (lupus), which I also have.
Theaca
Member # 8325

It could, yes.
Posts: 1014 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theaca
Member # 8325

what dose of allegra are you using, btw? And how often?
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

180 mg QD PRN
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
Have you tried seeing a chiropractor? I used to have really bad hives on pressure zones when I was little, but I haven't had trouble in three years now. Apparently, I had a pinched nerve cluster along my spine or something of that nature.
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

No. I am dubious about the therapeutic value of chiropractors for this sort of thing.
Theaca
Member # 8325

Yeah, I would be very doubtful of chiropracters being able to help this.

If you take the allegra daily, keeping the level in your bloodstream up, you might be able to keep it at bay. If your symptoms tend to be worse in the morning, try taking it every evening preventatively.

foundling
Member # 6348

- posted      Profile for foundling   Email foundling         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Tante. I have a very good friend who has lupus. She breaks out in hives all the time. Her allergies, of which she has many, are so sensitive that if someone has a cigarette butt in their coat pocket, and even if they havent smoked in days, she'll break out on her hands after touching them. It has been pretty much a constant nuisance for her. Well, more than a nuisance, as the hives are horribly itchy and hurt like hell after you scratch them.
She has learned to control it to a certain extent by being INCREDIBLY picky about what she eats, where she hangs out, who comes over her house, ect.... Basically, she controls, or tries to control, every part of her life that might expose her to something that she is allergic to. She also buys up large amounts of non brand name antihistamine and takes 3 at the first sign of itching(or when she cant resist rotissere chicken and is willing to suffer for it).
I dont know how long you've had lupus for, and everyone tends to develop routines that work for them. Just thought I'd chime in [Smile] .

Posts: 499 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
Tante...that sounds kind of like how I reacted when I came up allergic to penicillin. It was awful. I'd itch, then I'd scratch, then hives would come up, stay awhile, and then go away. Then I'd itch somewhere else and the whole sorry cycle would begin again. This went on for two full weeks. Even my tongue itched.
Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Ew.

I'm sick and tired of the bug bites I get here. Some turned all pussy and got infected, but they're finally going down. The latest ones were from, we think, a new-to-us variety of small mosquitoes.

Ick.

You have my sympathies. [Frown]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cali-Angel-Cat
Member # 8799

- posted      Profile for Cali-Angel-Cat   Email Cali-Angel-Cat         Edit/Delete Post 
Ever since I moved out here I take allergy meds every day.

I have a huge list of allergies, including, penicillin, latex, formaldehyde, cigarette smoke, milk, and bees (Which seems to have triggered a reaction anytime I get bit by an insect.)

There are certain things like Latex based paint, if I inhale the fumes I break out. If I touch a balloon I break out.

My uncle who is allergic to penicillin also can take none of the synthetic versions either. The one I can take is Tetracycline.

It's been mentioned to me that if you have had a operation, your body chemistry changes each time you have one.

Posts: 113 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Yuck. I've been taking the Allegra every night, so now I don't wake up with the hives -- they come later in the day. And they seem to come earlier every day and are getting worse every day. So now I'm taking Benedryl when the hives arrive, and Allegra as well.

Yesterday I was smote down with nasty joint pain. I couldn't cook the dinner I was planning, because my hands were't up to chopping vegetables with the knive. We had frozen pocket sandwiches instead. I feel like cr*p today, and no one at work is interested in hearing me complain. I'm in pain and I'm itchy.

You'd think the doctor would take my calls, but after the third call to his office today, the secretary told me that he would call me back this evening.

Thanks for listening. Sometimes it just helps to kvetch. [Frown]

Samarkand
Member # 8379

- posted      Profile for Samarkand   Email Samarkand         Edit/Delete Post 
I think seeing an allergist is a really good idea. I also have a hunch that you have indeed developed a sensitivity to one of your medications. Just in case, be really aware of any shortness of breath or throat swelling feelings. If your immune system is reacting to something it "sees" every day, the reaction is likely to get worse over time. Benadryl is a great way to treat those allergic reactions; it'll also lower your risk of something more serious happening.

Meine arme Tante, es tut mir leid. Sprichts du Deutsch?

Posts: 471 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

I agree, Sam. That's why I really want to talk to my doctor. I think that it is either a reaction one of the medications that I take to manage the lupus, or the lupus itself, being unmanageable.

Kein Deutscher, spreche ich nur Englisch.
(per Google Translate)

theresa51282
Member # 8037

- posted      Profile for theresa51282   Email theresa51282         Edit/Delete Post 
Hugs I hope you feel better
Posts: 416 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

I finally heard back from the doctor.
quote:
It sounds like a reaction to something. Maybe an allergy.
His medical school must be so proud. I will try to find an allergist to cure me. [Roll Eyes]
foundling
Member # 6348

- posted      Profile for foundling   Email foundling         Edit/Delete Post 
That sucks, Tante. Did you at least get to smack him upside the head and day "No sh*t, Sherlock"?
I hope so.
Anyways, you wouldnt happen to be on Prednisone, would you? My friend with Lupus took that for quite awhile, but had quite a few negative allergic reactions to it.
Also, on a cautionary note, the more Benedryl you take, the less effective it is going to be become over time. I really hope you find an allergist or naturopath that can help you out soon.

Posts: 499 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Tante, I hope you get this figured out soon. [Frown] Hives are no fun. I've had my share of mystery hives.

I once had hives all over my arms and legs - really really bad, and thousands of tiny little bumps. Saw a doctor. His response? I don't know what they are, but they're not contagious. Uh, how do you know they're not contagious if you don't know what they are? He had no response. [Roll Eyes] I avoided everyone until they were gone anyway. It took a few weeks or a month, but at least they finally went away.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

I have an appointment with an allergist on Monday, and I am trying to see my primary doctor today.

This morning I kept coughing and coughing, and kept filling up with a phlegmy feeling that I couldn't seem to swallow. And my eyes were having difficulty being open.

I'm doing much better with the Benedryl in my system. Breathing fine, swallowing fine. But itchy. Still hivey and itchy.

I'm not on prednisone.

Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
His medical school must be so proud.
That had me
[ROFL]
I hope the allergist can help, Tante. Good luck.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.