FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Seeking German Translation Help

Author Topic: Seeking German Translation Help
aiua
Member # 7825

- posted      Profile for aiua   Email aiua         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm working on translating from German an "Index of Equipment" for a friend of mine. It seems to be a sort of shipping reciept. At the bottom it reads "O.U. den _______________ 1944" leading me to think that the ______________ should be filled in with the month and day, but I'm not sure what the "O.U." stands for.
I googled it and found it at the beginning of a few letters from Nazis, followed by the date there as well.
My mother, however, thought it could be an abbreviation for a city, such as seen on European license plates.
There is a stamp underneath this as well, but with the bad resolution and smallness and fancy script it's written in, all that I can make out is "Olen_ _ _ _ elle on the top, with an eagle in the middle, and the bottom cut off, which makes me think my mother might have been on to something.

At any rate, I'd like to know what "O.U." stands for. Thanks!

Posts: 1215 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I had a German translation problem this morning also. But it was because I didn't know what Rammstein's lyrics were about. Google solved that. Hmmm, as for your problem? Contact the closest German teacher. There might be one in your town's high school.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I'm sure we have a German-speaker or two on these boards who would know what that is. [Smile]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiua
Member # 7825

Yeah, he's mine. Last resort, though.
Which song were you looking for?

Posts: 1215 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

Basically the lyrics for the whole album "Reise, Reise" It is the one from 2004, I think.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiua
Member # 7825

Oooo... Must get my hands on a copy of that.
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

Its a very good cd. I have a legally burned copy.
aiua
Member # 7825

"Legally burned copy"? How is that not an oxymoron?
Rusta-burger
Member # 8753

- posted      Profile for Rusta-burger   Email Rusta-burger         Edit/Delete Post 
Is the eagle holding a swastika or is the bit below its feet cut off?
Posts: 75 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiua
Member # 7825

Cut off right below the feet and with (what looks to be) "SachTich...." printed over it.
aiua
Member # 7825

Though now that I think about it, it could very well be holding one, the year next to the "O.U." being 1944.
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
I love Rammstein. Have 3 of their albums, and they're excellent.

That is all.

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiua
Member # 7825

Rusta, does your deletion mean you no longer wish to bet? I'd've gone as high as 8 Hatrack dollars it didn't. Oh, darn..
Rusta-burger
Member # 8753

- posted      Profile for Rusta-burger   Email Rusta-burger         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah that's exactly why I deleted it.<grin>. Are hatrack dolars even real?

Just as a sidenote, I looked up the exact translation of lebensraum on Babelfish while I was there. I spelt one letter wrong and got "loving space".

[The Wave]

hehe, i know, i know, childish.

Posts: 75 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiua
Member # 7825

They're real to me. And that's all that matters. [Big Grin]
Heh...Liebensraum. I can totally picture HippyHitler .

Rusta-burger
Member # 8753

Check this out:
http://www.funnypictures.dk/funny-picture-416.htm

human_2.0
Member # 6006

- posted      Profile for human_2.0   Email human_2.0         Edit/Delete Post 
That's scary.
Posts: 1209 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
Reminds me of this.
(Look at the picture on the bottom left.)

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiua
Member # 7825

I finally figured out what "O.U." is!

Apparently the document is a sort of list of things that the 4th Zug [Platoon, possibly] was recieving during WWII. As with all documents from the front, no location was ever posted. Instead, a mandatory O.U., standing for Ortsunterkunft, or temporary quarters for troops, was used before the date.

This is a site with letters containing the O.U. , and, for those who can read German and are interested, this is the site I found it at, point 5.1, first paragraph.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.