FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I found a kitty!

Author Topic: I found a kitty!
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
There was a beautiful grey cat outside my dorm room when I was walking home after doing homework in one of the campus buildings. I bent down to pet it, and it jumped right in my lap.

I put an ad in the school online classifieds, and put a bowl of milk outside the dorm building. Then I sort of just left him there. I'm not really sure what to do beyond this point. I guess if he's still there, I'll call the shelter tomorrow, and see if anyone's been searching for a grey cat, or at least, if they'll take him in and find him a good home. He's soo beautiful!

Also, if he's still around tomorrow, I'll try and post pictures.

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sillygoose
Member # 1616

- posted      Profile for sillygoose   Email sillygoose         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not a real big cat person, but there are times when I find them to be pretty cute. I hope you are able to find an owner. [Smile]
Posts: 169 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theaca
Member # 8325

- posted      Profile for Theaca   Email Theaca         Edit/Delete Post 
You shouldn't feed cats milk. Water is better for them.
Posts: 1014 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah...tuna water! [Wink]
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sillygoose
Member # 1616

- posted      Profile for sillygoose   Email sillygoose         Edit/Delete Post 
mmm. . .tuna [Smile]
Posts: 169 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theaca
Member # 8325

Mmm, tuna water! A good way to attract every cat on campus. [Wink]
Posts: 1014 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sillygoose
Member # 1616

That's a pretty scary thought. *Too many cats, must hide!* [Angst]
Grisha
Member # 6871

- posted      Profile for Grisha   Email Grisha         Edit/Delete Post 
Seriously though, milk makes most kitties sick, though from what i understand, the ones who aren't made sick by it, seem to really like it.
Posts: 376 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theaca
Member # 8325

Actually, most kitties LIKE drinking it, it isn't until afterwards that they have diarrhea or other problems with it.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Milk isn't good for kitties-- unless you give them kitty milk. Yup, they make special milk with the things kitties can't digest removed.

It's freaking expensive, though. I'd go with water or tuna water and some mashed garbanzos if I were you (or falafel.) Kitties love garbanzos. And tuna.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hugh57
Member # 5527

- posted      Profile for hugh57   Email hugh57         Edit/Delete Post 
From a cat's perspective, tuna is the new chocolate.
Posts: 241 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
In one sense.

In another, arsenic is the new chocolate from a cat's perspective.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
Raw goat's milk is also generally easier for them to digest than pasteurized cow's milk. But unless you keep a dairy goat that's gonna be nigh on impossible to find, and probably very expensive.

But, you know, just in case you do have access to a dairy goat...

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL] Yeah, just in case... Cuz, you know, it's so likely. [ROFL]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
meow!
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
Can cats drink lactose-free milk made for humans? Is there anything special about the cat-specific milk other than the fact that they do not contain lactose?
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Is there anything special about the cat-specific milk other than the fact that they do not contain lactose?
I think so. It also has some additives, I think, to be more healthy for cats. (Edit: having googled it, some of them don't contain cow milk at all, some do but are lactose-free and have other additives, but I think that plain old Lactaid milk would probably be okay for them, though not quite as good. How do I know kitty milk exists? My mom has occasionally bought it for her kitties. [Roll Eyes] )

quote:
But, you know, just in case you do have access to a dairy goat...
It might be more likely if quid had found the cat. [Razz]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mle
Member # 8830

- posted      Profile for mle           Edit/Delete Post 
You;d have to specify a bit on the "made for humans" bit. it's not like we drink the milk of female humans. Milk make for humans extends to the milk of quite a few animals, but as for cows milk, yes you can feed a cat that. Nothing else is neccessary.
Posts: 6 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
it's not like we drink the milk of female humans.
Some of the youngest among us do. [Wink] But he specifically said lactose-free milk made for humans. Meaning lactose-treated cow's milk.

quote:
but as for cows milk, yes you can feed a cat that. Nothing else is neccessary.
Not true. It gives many cats diarrhea and sometimes worse, as we previously discussed.
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks KQ, mle. [Smile]

KQ, I think I would enjoy meeting your mother. [Big Grin]

mle, when I said for humans I meant cow milk. I am lactose intolerant so I usually purchase lactose free cow milk made by Lactaid.

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
KQ, I think I would enjoy meeting your mother.
If you like cats, yes. Her house is all over cats (and kids' toys, and books, and good food.) She has not had less than 3 cats at any time in the last 8 years-- and that's despite two cats dying.
xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
Kitty milk has taurine in it, and looks a bit brownish. I buy it for Raina sometimes. [Smile]

Also, gray kitties are awesome. Raina is a gray tuxedo. [Big Grin] *loves her kitty*

Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a friend in a duplex who loves cats... She might be willing to take the cat in. Or it could stay with her boyfriend, who's a fifth-year intern (and therefore doesn't live in campus-owned housing).

I would take the cat, but both of my flatmates despise kitties.

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

- posted      Profile for Choobak   Email Choobak         Edit/Delete Post 
I love Cats ! You're story confirm you are a sweet person, Shani. If a cat go to you, you must be a good person with a big heart.

[Wink]

Posts: 1189 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
Try finding another cat and milking it.
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theaca
Member # 8325

Come to think of it, that WOULD be easier than finding a goat and cheaper than buying kitty milk.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

*giggles* Can you just imagine trying to milk a cat, though? Think of the scratch marks...

I think a bag of store-brand catfood, some tuna, and, if you're determined, some Lactaid are the way to go. [Wink]

human_2.0
Member # 6006

- posted      Profile for human_2.0   Email human_2.0         Edit/Delete Post 
I love my kitty.
Posts: 1209 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Haha, thanks, Choobak! [Kiss]

Jhai, I actually went home today because I'm horribly ill... but if the cat's still around when I get back (I think my friend Ann Marie is still caring for it and feeding it), then I'll let you know. He's beautiful, and very friendly!

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

- posted      Profile for Choobak   Email Choobak         Edit/Delete Post 
[Wink] A [Kiss] for you too !
Posts: 1189 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
We're adopting two kittens later this month. Siblings, currently about 8 weeks old, starting to eat solid food but still nursing on occasion. The funny part is that their current names are Fiazko and Pooka [Smile] We're trying to decide if we want to change those, though.
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
I hope you're feeling better, Raia!

When you get back to DePauw, feel free to call/IM if you need some soup or crackers and ginger ale or whatever. I could even make homemade soup! [Smile]

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.