FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » All 80's children raise your hand!! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: All 80's children raise your hand!!
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
We were watching the Challenger launch in school. I think I was in 2nd or 3rd grade at the time. And yeah, horrified is a pretty good word for our reactions.
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
I learned my colors from Cyndi Lauper's hair in different videos. Seriously. When I was 18 months old. I LOVED Cyndi Lauper. When I wanted to hear "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun", I said, "Fun!", and "She-Bop" was "Bop!"

I'm so old. [Wall Bash] Old, I tell you. [Wall Bash] [Wall Bash] Old. As in Ancient. [Wall Bash] [Wall Bash] [Wall Bash] [Wall Bash]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
I had Spiderman underoos. I would try to wear them on Sundays whenever possible, because going to church meant wearing a button-up shirt. Because if you're going to change into your secret identity, you have to do it with a shirt that unbuttons in the front.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Ooh...I remember seeing that happen. I was five, and very disgruntled that Muppet Babies was being interrupted - until it happened, that is. Then I was horrified.
I was three. We watched it in my preschool. I remember it like it was, well, not yesterday, but I remember it very clearly.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm still a Transformers fan.

Yep, same here. Even have the original seasons on DVD. The movie twice over (VHS and DVD. VHS will never come out of the plastic). I remember rollerskating to M.J. and Poison. I still listen to that music (not Poison, but 80's music).
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silent E
Member # 8840

- posted      Profile for Silent E   Email Silent E         Edit/Delete Post 
I was reviewing my high school yearbook this morning, and was shocked at all the big hair (on the girls) and mullets (on the guys). Of course, back then, I had never heard the term mullet.
Posts: 202 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember watching the Challenger launch in ninth grade science class after lunch.

ET was the first PG movie I was allowed to watch.

I envied my friends who had Ataris.

Anybody remember ENTER magazine?

Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swampjedi
Member # 7374

- posted      Profile for Swampjedi   Email Swampjedi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Yep, same here. Even have the original seasons on DVD. The movie twice over (VHS and DVD. VHS will never come out of the plastic).
I was so excited when the DVD seasons came out! All I had was the Heros/Villains DVDs, and suddenly all of my favorite episodes were available!

I must admit that I'm really too young for early Transformers, and I never saw the later seasons. I got the tapes from the local video place, and watched them over and over. [Big Grin]

Wow, so many great quotes in the movie. [Cool]

</geek>

Posts: 1069 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I was reviewing my high school yearbook this morning, and was shocked at all the big hair (on the girls)
I WANTED "beautiful" big hair, but it was almost impossible for me to achieve, because I don't have the right texture hair. The individual strands are thin and delicate, so it goes flat if I put much hair spray on it, looks dirty if I put much mousse on it, and splits at the ends if I get a perm.

*spent years 1983-1990 with terrible hair*

Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
*spent years 1983-1990 with terrible hair*
But, really, for those of us alive and in charge of our own hair during that time, who didn't? My very worst hair year? 1989. Boy howdy, was that bad.

I remember most of the 80s fairly well. I was in school when Cyndi Lauper was popular. In fact, I was Cyndi Lauper one year for Halloween. The following year, I was Laura Ingalls Wilder. I was a girl of varied tastes. [Big Grin]

I watched the Challenger launch in school, as well. I was in the second grade.

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
larisse
Member # 2221

- posted      Profile for larisse   Email larisse         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember almost all of that stuff and more. I remember Pinwheel and all the great early Nickelodeon programs like Belle and Sebastian and David the Gnome. Loved me some Transformers and GI Joe. I wanted to be Jem when I grew up and even dressed up as her once for Halloween. (Note to self, never wear jelly shoes ever again.)

I remember the Challenger Disaster. We got to watch it on tv at my grade school. I remember all of us being very shocked and the teacher shutting off the tv hurriedly. We all went to lunch that day very confused. [Frown]

Overall, the 80's were a very fun decade for me, but the time before puberty often is.

Posts: 822 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
My hair in the last couple years of the 80s is probably best described as a fluffy q-tip. >_<
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Belle and Sebastian
OH! I'd totally forgotten about that one. I remember now, because there was a girl named Isabel, and my father and younger brother, being funny, started calling all the characters Isa-whatever. Sebastian was Isaboy, Belle was Isadog, there was a grandfather who became Isagramps. [Big Grin] Good times.
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
Even though I was born in 1980, I paid attention to very little of the pop culture of the 80's. Looking back, I'm really glad that I was so oblivious. 80's hair *shudder*

I do remember David the Gnome. That was a great show. I actually managed to find the first episode online back when I had high speed internet. I just wish I had found more; I would love for my daughter to watch shows like that when she's older.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
Mon Chi-Chis! Yeah!

KQ, I was born on the 29th. I think I remember so much of the 80s because I have older brothers and a less than vigilant mother. I was all over MTV and HBO at the age of five. I love the 80s. *nostalgic sniff*

Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
In 1980, I was the same age that my kid is now -- 14.

Yikes!

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
3-2-1 CONTACT!
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I wasn't born yet for the Challenger disaster.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember 3-2-1 Contact! But I was too young.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sillygoose
Member # 1616

- posted      Profile for sillygoose   Email sillygoose         Edit/Delete Post 
Well I guess I didn't really grow up in the 80s since I was born in 87, but I still watched a lot of those good cartoons. I loved the original transformers, and did any of you ever watch Captain Planet or Dark Wing Duck? (I don't know if they started in the 80s or not) How come they don't make good cartoons like those anymore? *sigh*

goose [Cool]

Posts: 169 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
I watched both Captain Planet and Dark Wing Duck. Launch Pad McQuack was the ultimate comic relief as a kid.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
(Note to self, never wear jelly shoes ever again.)
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH Jelly shoes!!! I'd blocked that particular memory....
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
onlyme
Member # 8836

- posted      Profile for onlyme           Edit/Delete Post 
I was born in 88' but the photo's of my parents are very funny. My mom's hair had to be award winning BIG and definitely "BULLET PROOF"! I will have to print this thead out for her she will enjoy it.
Posts: 6 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I had jelly shoes! My mom said they were impractical but my sisters thought they were adorable. And bought me some. [Big Grin] And I watched 3-2-1 Contact. And the Electric Co. And Sesame Street-- I remember when we saw Snuffy the first time!

quote:
I think I remember so much of the 80s because I have older brothers and a less than vigilant mother.
I hear that! My sisters were 9 1/2 and 12 1/2 when I was born. I used to watch them get dressed every morning, and they used to help get me ready sometimes. I remember my sister (who has TONS of hair like mine) crimping and teasing it every morning. Everyone envied her her big floofy crimped side ponytail. Gosh, I wish big hair hadn't gone out before it was my turn. [Wink]

One day when my brother was two, they got him dressed for preschool. In a far-too-big-for-him Metallica t-shirt, black jeans, his little boots, and they spiked his hair into a mohawk with their uber-strong gel and colored the tips blue with some wash-out dye that my sister had from Halloween. Then they put eyeliner on him (would have used blush, too, but he was always naturally pale with very pink cheeks.) He then marched proudly out to go to preschool and my mom cracked up. She thought it was so funny, and he was so happy, she took him like that. The preschool teacher loved it, too, took a picture and posted it for the rest of the year. [ROFL]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Thats adorable Kq. I had neon green Converse all stars, in a teeny size, I was probably 2. I don't remember any other weird clothes, well stirrup pants, but I think that was the 90s, oh and sweat dresses, ack. Stirrup Pants with a Sweat dress and Converse Hight tops, and naturally wavy blonde hair! I shouldn't admit to this.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
Pshaw, 3-2-1 Contact was so annoying. Square 1 was so much better. Unfortunately, on our tv station at least, Square 1 was only on half the year, with Reading Rainbow being on the other half. Reading Rainbow was ok, but how could it compete with Mathnet?

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theaca
Member # 8325

- posted      Profile for Theaca   Email Theaca         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Yozhik:
I remember watching the Challenger launch in ninth grade science class after lunch.

ET was the first PG movie I was allowed to watch.

I also watched Challenger launch after lunch in science class. O_O
I remember the big deal about getting to go watch ET.

Posts: 1014 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

Perhaps this is more for the teenagers of the 80s than the children, but it needs to be said.

The Breakfast Club.

Seriously, people: The Breakfast Club.
And while we're at it, Weird Science, Real Genius, The Goonies, Sixteen Candles, and Labyrinth.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silent E
Member # 8840

- posted      Profile for Silent E   Email Silent E         Edit/Delete Post 
Back to the Future, Ghostbusters, Raiders of the Lost Ark, The Karate Kid.

Depeche Mode, Erasure, The Cure, Duran Duran, INXS; Guns N Roses, Poison, Bon Jovi, Def Leppard.

The Cosby Show, Family Ties, Silver Spoons, Diff'rent Strokes, Punky Brewster.

Posts: 202 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Punky Brewster! I LOVED Punky Brewster!!!
sillygoose
Member # 1616

- posted      Profile for sillygoose   Email sillygoose         Edit/Delete Post 
Back to the Future will always be one of my favorites [Big Grin]
Posts: 169 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Depeche Mode put out a new album recently.

um...just so you know.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uhleeuh
Member # 6803

- posted      Profile for Uhleeuh   Email Uhleeuh         Edit/Delete Post 
For my list of all things of the 80s I remember/watched/wore/listened to, please consult I Love the 80s part 1, part deux, and 3D. [Razz] Everything from 86 and up, I remember and everything from 86 and down I learned about post-86. *born in 83*
Posts: 378 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Avadaru
Member # 3026

- posted      Profile for Avadaru   Email Avadaru         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH Jelly shoes!!! I'd blocked that particular memory....
Oh, wow, I'd forgotten about these too...I remember being really jealous of my older sisters because they had jelly shoes. I thought they were the coolest.
Posts: 1225 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
3-2-1 Contact, Square One, and Reading Rainbow. [Big Grin] Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

It depends on whether you define "80s child" as "born in the 1980s" or "was an adolescent in the 1980s." In the former sense I was an 80s child; in the latter I was firmly a 90s child (born 1981).

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Is it wrong of me if I can still sing along to Rainbow Brite?
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

Only if you're wearing her outfit too.
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember all of these things/shows because my kids did or watched them!!!! Every one of you are young enough to be my kid! [Eek!]

*sulks and goes off to find the children of the 60's thread....*

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

Despite my late birth, I was more a child of the 60's than the 80's, culturally speaking. I had a turn-table and I only listened to records that my dad had given me: The Beatles, Peter and Gordan, The Monkees. My dad loves old movies; I think I saw more movies when I was a kid that were from the 20's, 30's, 40's, 50's and 60's than the other two decades.

So my childhood was a bit strange, but I liked it.

--Mel

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

FG, you wanna be really scared? If I'm the right age to be your kid, that means that Ems is the right age to be your grandkid.
mackillian
Member # 586

I refused to ever wear jellies because if you wore them, you weren't allowed on the jungle gym at recess. And there's no way I was staying off that jungle gym.
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Long live the 80's! Do you remember Mighty Orbots?

OH! Cyndi Lauper is coming to Michigan!!!!
I'm going to go this Decemper to see her in Ann Arbor!

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

I never actually saw the Mighty Orbots. However, I had a roommate in college who had watched them as a kid and loved it. One day he was very excited to have suddenly remembered the name of his favorite Orbot. He was asleep on the couch and suddenly sat bolt-upright shouting:

"Bort! He was blue! He could transform! BORT WAS A LEG!"

Which is a fairly odd thing to hear your roommate burst out with when you had no idea of the context.

--Enigmatic

Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
<--just got a bootleg DVD of all 130 episodes of Thundercats.

Sunday, I get all the He-Man episodes.

I love being back in NYC. Best. Criminals. Ever.

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniK
Member # 3939

- posted      Profile for JenniK   Email JenniK         Edit/Delete Post 
I was sick the day of the Challenger disaster.On the way back from the doctor's office we heard what happened on the radio. I was in 5th grade and it was my uncle's birthday (January 28th).
I know about all of the things mentioned as I grew up in the 80's, I loved Gummi Bears, Pound Puppies, et al. I even had a cabbage patch kid.... do you remember Garbage Pail Kids?

I'm a little older than some of you...and in 1989 I started High School.... born in '75...... [Big Grin]

But Kwea is still older than me!!!! [Taunt]

Posts: 325 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

My mom has some Garbage Pail kids cards-- unopened packs.

She's going to save them another 20 years and sell them on ebay.

Yank
Member # 2514

- posted      Profile for Yank   Email Yank         Edit/Delete Post 
Born in '82. I thought Transformers were the coolest thing in the history of the world. I still tend linger around the toy section in Walmart to see if they have anything cool. I'm kind of sad that my younger brother is now too old for them; they made great birthday and Christmas presents.

I have a roommate now who's 18 and he makes me and my other roommate feel really old. We were talking about the original Atari system and playing games on Commodore, and he said "What's that?"

Posts: 1631 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL] yep, I get that from my youngest sister. She's mostly out of it anyway, being that she is so shy and all.
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

- posted      Profile for unicornwhisperer   Email unicornwhisperer         Edit/Delete Post 
"Gummi Bears! Bouncing here and there and everywhere! High Adventures that's beyond compare! They are the Gummi Bears!" [Big Grin]
Posts: 1417 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yank
Member # 2514

- posted      Profile for Yank   Email Yank         Edit/Delete Post 
Great, now I'll have that song stuck in my head the rest of the day. *angry face*
Posts: 1631 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.