FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Need male oppinions on hats as gifts

Author Topic: Need male oppinions on hats as gifts
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to somehow produce presents for two boys, 15 and 12, that happen to be my second cousins, by Thanksgiving. The tradition has always been to give them a homemade gift, I am so so much better at gifts for girls, I've got that one down to a science, bath stuff, home made lip gloss, hats, skarves, jewelry, bags, journals, all that I made, oh boys are so much harder. Little boys it's easy, you felt them a ball (which is so so much fun, I need to do that more often), or you make them a hat that matches their coat. When they are 15 it's so hard, and the twelve year old becomes hard because he thinks whatever the 15 year old says is cool.

So I think I'll knit them hats, their mom will think it's cool. I wouldn't have as much of a problem if I weren't 19 and "cool" myself.

If you were a boy, and were getting a handknit hat, would you perfer solid or two striped colors, ribbed the whole way, or just at the bottom so it doesn't roll, with a fold over or not? And since I don't know their favorite colors exactly (both like blue I think), would it be ok to use the older one's school colors, that's red and white, he runs cross country, that could be nice.

Unless you can think of something else useful I can make them, that won't break my budget, require extreme skill (I can't carve wood or weld very well), or seem like I have no clue what I'm doing. There will be no girls at this event, so I don't even get to have total fun for this one.

Oh, food is not an option, which is my standby with teenage boys.

[ November 09, 2005, 04:03 PM: Message edited by: breyerchic04 ]

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Do they dress up for church or anything? Ties are easy to sew, and teenage boys like creative ones that reflect their interests.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Hats are nice. But don't ask me what style/color. Ask the boys. Or must the present be a BIG SURPRISE?

If they live nearby, maybe they can even pick out the yarn with you.

My mother-in-law knit my son a sweater, which he loved so much that he wore it every day, and still kind of mourns that he outgrew it. They picked out the pattern and the wool together. She appreciated that all the work she was doing was going into a sweater that she knew he would like, and he appreciated getting a sweater exactly like he wanted.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
They don't dress quite that up for church, usually just polo shirts and khaki's or something.

I really can't talk to them, or go shopping iwth them, they're 3 hours away, and almost impossible to catch on the phone. I think I will go with hats, and can figure the colors out myself, was just hoping hatrack males might chime in and say whether they perfer folded over or not.

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
Jayne style from Firefly.

For an alternative homemade gift idea you could knit them a Hackey Sack.

Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

My grandma crocheted hacky sacks last year, all of us got several (I even got a pink one!). Jayne style may be a bit too complecated for the moment, and since I don't think (but I can't be sure) either of them have seen it, I don't know I will. I could make them hats in their harry potter house colors, that I know.
airmanfour
Member # 6111

- posted      Profile for airmanfour           Edit/Delete Post 
It all depends. I like solid colors myself, unless we're talking hackey-sacks. Warning: homemade stuff for teenagers can be tricky. i'd ask them.
Posts: 1156 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

Yes I know it can, I am one, but it's expected.
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
Go for Harry Potter.

Actually, just remember a good hat should always make you stand out in a crowd. The real purpose of a hat is to provide some flair into something which is otherwise fairly dull. Go for something flash, and I assume these are beanies?

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Jayne style from Firefly.
I was going to suggest that. [Wink]
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

I'm thinking more like ski tobbogans, but not turned up, I don't know, I really am better with girls. Pink, frilly, or even not, but still female.
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

I just feel a Jayne hat would be lost on someone who has no clue who Jayne is. I plan to make on for a friend who does know who Jayne is, practically is Jayne in many ways, and dresses very strangly to start with (he wears a black afro wig to school at least once a week).
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I wouldn't have worn a knit hat when I was 15. You're going to have to make it pretty funky for them to want to put it on.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, it's gotta be something beyond the norm.
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Are you talking winter hats? For some reason I thought you were talking about some floppy baseball cap or something.

I’ll revise my opinion. Winter hats might actually get worn. Funky ones that don’t look like anything anyone else is wearing will get worn if they’re that type of guy. Otherwise, it has to be the right brand name and the right style. If neither, they will be worn if it’s actually cold and if the guy doesn’t think the hat makes him look like a dork.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Uggh, from the perspective of a 15 year old boy, any sort of clothing is not a present. Period.
Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

I'm really really really having issues coming up with a present other than some sort of clothing, that fits into the family rules of must be home made and under about $8
GaalD
Member # 6222

- posted      Profile for GaalD   Email GaalD         Edit/Delete Post 
If it's hats for winter, sky blue and white sounds nice to me (15 year old boy). I wouldn't want it striped the whole way though. Maybe solid blue with a white stripe thru it, or vica versa.
Posts: 853 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

Oh that would be cool, and I have Sky blue, so I just need white in that type of yarn, and yeah just one stripe would look nice. I may do one red and white, and the other blue and white, plus I also have brown that looks nice with white or blue.
GaalD
Member # 6222

And my other suggestion would be a light/dark green and blue, with bottom half green and upper half blue. Kind of like a Sprite bottle.
Edit: Like this

Posts: 853 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
airmanfour
Member # 6111

- posted      Profile for airmanfour           Edit/Delete Post 
Everybody likes Sprite [Smile] Even 15 year olds.
Posts: 1156 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

Jaime, if it's ribbed, do you think it should be turned up, so the bottom is two layers thick, or just left to be worn one thick. You are being very constructive, thanks.
GaalD
Member # 6222

Can you find a pic of the hat you're describing to show me what you mean? I don't think I'm picturing the hat right.
Brian J. Hill
Member # 5346

- posted      Profile for Brian J. Hill   Email Brian J. Hill         Edit/Delete Post 
FWIW, I prefer to wear my toboggan hats with the bottom rolled up. I also prefer single, dark colors rather than any kind of pattern. But I'm just one guy, and my fashion tastes have been described by others as a bit . . . odd.
Posts: 786 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
Can you find out what their favorite clothing store is? Then you could just go to that store's website and see what colors they're using this season, thereby increasing the coolness factor.
Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
My brother is 16 and would probably wear a scarf more than a hat - as long as it was plainish and obviously masculine.

But I think the hats are a good idea, especially if they live somewhere cold.

Or, how about this style?

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
A Jayne hat would be excellent if you then showed them Firefly. And what a good Christmas present that would be!

Jenny

Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
I still think scarves would be a better knit gift for a teenager. Hats are kinda iffy, but scarves are always cool.
Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.