FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Anyone else feel unimportant?

Author Topic: Anyone else feel unimportant?
BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

- posted      Profile for BaoQingTian   Email BaoQingTian         Edit/Delete Post 
So I ranted to my wife the other day about how frustrated I am with politics in this country. I felt like I talked enough to annoy her, so I thought I'd just post my thoughts here. Don't expect too much coherency, because its not a reasoned out argument, just what I'm feeling.

I seriously feel like there is a big disconnect between me and everyone else that is in the media for political reasons. I just don't feel as though there's any party or organization out there for me. I don't identify with Republicans or their goals, Democrats and theirs, Chris Matthews, Rush Limbaugh, Slate Magazine, CNN, or anything. They all seem like crazy extremists to me.

I guess I'm just frustrated that it seems like a big deal is made out of things that don't seem to matter so much and not enough attention is paid to those things that do. I'm an active news reader (ok, probably news junkie) but seriously I just feel like pulling the plug. Is anyone else just weary of it all? I'm at the point where I just despair voting as well because I just feel like I'm having to choose the lesser of the two evils as the saying goes.

Edit: I guess my point is I feel that all the politicians and media are so caught up in their self important games that there's no connection to real people out here.

Posts: 1412 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
You're not the only one. I've been thinking of switching my voter registration to independent.
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
My answer to your subject line is, "Only all the time!"
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin] Quit wasting time on the news and go out and serve your community. You'll feel better about yourself and the world, largely because you'll be improving both.
Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to being a moderate in today's political climate. Register as an independent and you'll be able to vote in either of the partie's primaries in most states.

It really does seem that our political parties cater to the extremes more than the centers anymore.

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

- posted      Profile for BaoQingTian   Email BaoQingTian         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by jeniwren:
[Big Grin] Quit wasting time on the news and go out and serve your community. You'll feel better about yourself and the world, largely because you'll be improving both.

Absolutely jeniwren, that's great advice for anyone. I'm actually very involved in my church and becoming so in Scouting. I'm not suffering from depression or lack of meaning in my life. I have a very rewarding career, a loving wife, and fantastic family. Its not just the political news, its the way these policies (or lack thereof)that I have zero control over affect so many aspects of my life and those I love. And this is the world my children (and myself, I'm only 25) will grow up in, and I don't feel like I have any say in it. Its just frustrating at times I guess.

In response to the others, its not sure that registering as an independent will make a difference-but I'll probably do it anyway just out of principle.

Posts: 1412 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
You sound just like me, although I'm not as much of a news junkie. [Big Grin]
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tern
Member # 7429

- posted      Profile for tern   Email tern         Edit/Delete Post 
Nah.
Posts: 561 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't register as an independent. I register as "unaffiliated" (or in CA, "decline to state a party.") That way, in most states, I can choose which primary to vote in. Not that that makes much of a difference, but hey.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
Doesn't indepependent mean unaffiliated? I'm confused. What's the difference?
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
When I registered to vote, they didn't even ask me to declare a party.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
In each state I've registered in or looked at registration for, there's an option for "American Independent Party"-- sometimes shortened to "Independent Party". It's not the same thing as "unaffiliated voter."
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
Wierd. I've never heard of the American Independent Party (or the 'Independent Party' for that matter). I still remember my eighth grade American history teacher asking us to list all the political parties we could and saying that 'indepedent' by definition means no party.

In DC, you can register Democratic, Republican, Green, or independent (which means unaffiliated, not the AIP). There's probably an 'other' option as well.

I think that's what most people mean when they say they're registered as 'an indepedent', as opposed to the 'Independent Party'. I could be wrong, though.

Edit: Now that I've looked at the AIP's platform, I don't much like them. I'd really rather not (as an independent) be associated with them.

Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.