FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Fiction for 5th and 6th graders (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Fiction for 5th and 6th graders
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't see where that matters. Unpleasant character, makes atheist arguments, tries to kill children. What more was wanted?
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
I wasn't arguing with you, I was just pointing out a factoid.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I see. Misunderstood you, then.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
Dkw- I'm a little confused. Do you want picture books, or learning to read chapter books?
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
dkw, thanks for the tips. I'm really excited about it and looking forward to it.

I understand what you're saying about the outrage - it does upset me to think that 5th graders can't read, but I'll do as you suggest and not bring that attitude to the school with me.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Picture books. There are plenty of learning to read chapter books that are appropriate for slightly older kids than the book's target age. I'm asking about something interesting for the older kids that can't read at all.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scythrop
Member # 5731

- posted      Profile for Scythrop   Email Scythrop         Edit/Delete Post 
Dkw -

Here are a number of, for the most part, Australian picture books especially written for older readers - it's been a bit of a publishing trend here over the last ten years. I've used most of these with various classes ranging from academically challenged, right through to pre-lit and lit.

The Lost Thing by Shaun Tan. I can't recommend this book enough - it's funny, quirky, beautifully illustrated, thematically brilliant in an understated way, and boys partivularly love it.

Also by Shaun, The Red Tree Is a simple but beautiful book dealing with depression and growing up.

Fox by Margaret Wild and Ron Brooks is a moving and quite stunning book about friendship and betrayal.

The Viewer by Gary Crew (also illustrated by Tan - I love his work) while not as good imho as Tan's two solo books above, is an engaging and rather dark mystery which, like Eleventh Hour, relies as much on the readers being able to decode the illustrations as well as the text to draw out the subtextual narrative.

Another book which does this far more effectively, also by Crew, but illustrated this time by Steven Woolman isThe Watertower this book won the Australian children's picture book of the year in about 1996/7 and was the first picture book written for older readers to do is. Its use of visual subtext is brilliant, and is a perennial favourite with both boys and girls. It has a sequel entitled "Beneath the Surface" which came out last year, but doesn't seem to be available on Amazon, so might not yet be out in the U.S.

finally, Luke's way of Looking by Nadia Wheatly and Matt Ottley (illus) is one of my favourites - about identity, seeing the world through different eyes, and coming to terms with self. A lovely book for Young Adults.

I'm not sure if any of these are exactly what you're looking for, but I've found them very useful in the past. Feel free to shoot me an email if you want any more info on them, or other suggestions.

Cheers
tony

Edit: I should add that the ones I've chosen here, with the possible exception of FOX, would all be culturally accessable to an overseas reader - there are a few others I can recommend that are brilliant, but more specific to Australian culture.

cheers

Posts: 466 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I've become intrigued and am thinking about seeing if any of the schools around this area need volunteers in the libraries or to help kids read.

Do you mean learning to read picture books like Frog and Toad or The Step into Reading books?

Or do you just mean normal picture books? Could you give me some examples?

I'm sorry to be so much trouble, I've just gotten really interested in how kids learn how to read and what gets them interested in reading.

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sartorius
Member # 7696

- posted      Profile for Sartorius   Email Sartorius         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by dkw:
Picture books. There are plenty of learning to read chapter books that are appropriate for slightly older kids than the book's target age. I'm asking about something interesting for the older kids that can't read at all.

Weslandia
I, Crocodile
Where the Wild Things Are

These are picture books I found and loved in my late teens when I was learning to write children's books. There were so many others, but I can't remember them. I'll sleep on it and see if I can't add a few more titles.

Posts: 152 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tern
Member # 7429

- posted      Profile for tern   Email tern         Edit/Delete Post 
Anything by Stephen Kellogg (sic?)
Posts: 561 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't actually argue that Narnia _or_ Dark Materials are propoganda. But I still think HDM isn't appropriate reading for a Christian school.
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
The Edge Chronicles
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.