FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Well, my dog has fleas . .. (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Well, my dog has fleas . ..
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
Fleas are extremely hard to kill. Their bodies are wafer-thin, and they jump incredibly high. I've tried drowning them in the toilet, but somehow they manage to get themselves to the sides and out. They won't drown very easily at all, and you'd have to boil your pet to make it too hot for them. There are a variety of ways to control fleas, and you'll have to see what works for you. I recommend using as many methods as you can in parallel. First of all, there is the chemical killer found in Advantage, Frontline, and Capstar. Some of these chemicals you apply to the animal's body, and Capstar is ingested. You can also get Program, which is basically flea birth control. The fleas will bite your pet, but they won't be able to reproduce. And persistent vacuuming is a good idea, too - although flea eggs and larvae are very tiny and tenacious. Good luck with the flea battles. I've again taken up the fight myself, as the cats come in from outdoors. My current weapons are Capstar and Program, and judicious vacuuming. Unfortunately, I think some of these fleas are living off human, not cat, and so the poisons aren't doing as much good as I'd hoped. We'll see. "I have not yet begun to fight."
Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
Just fill a bowl with blood and set it in the corner.
Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, Jenny, I've been battling fleas on my cats as well, and I've found that fleas drown far more quickly in hot water than in cold. I was combing one of the cats and dropping the fleas into a jar of water. I started with cold, soapy water, and they would struggle for 30 seconds to a minute before dying. When I switched to hot tap water, it took less than five seconds. Most of them barely even twitched.

Oh, and are you making sure to kill the fleas in the vacuum bag? Either put a flea collar in there or vacuum up some flea powder after each use, otherwise you're providing an excellent nursery for them.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.