FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Gravity waves... Wow!

Author Topic: Gravity waves... Wow!
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
This is astounding!
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
enochville
Member # 8815

- posted      Profile for enochville   Email enochville         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for sharing! I studied physics in college for a while before I switched my major, so I am fascinated by the prospect of this gravity telescope.
Posts: 264 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
wicked cool... giant Michelson-Morley experiments!

I wonder how they are managing to damp out things like vibration from passing trucks and stuff?

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Very cool stuff--breath taking, even. Hope they're successful.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I read about this yesterday and considered posting it but I figured someone else would come up with it sooner or later [Wink] . It is very incredible- or will be, when they succeed.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Oliver Dale
Member # 8398

- posted      Profile for Oliver Dale   Email Oliver Dale         Edit/Delete Post 
J-M,

Don't have to worry about passing trucks or even passing mountains. Gravitational waves are so weak (especially when compared to EM waves) that it takes something truly cosmological in order to blip their 'radar.' If you're talking about the physical shaking of the tubes, then I'm fairly sure it isn't a problem just due to the size of the thing. The laser has some wobble room without making contact with the shielding.

Posts: 92 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, but shaking the mirrors would change the effective length of the light path.
Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.