FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » 18 yr old elected mayor

Author Topic: 18 yr old elected mayor
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Another reason why my state is an interesting place. Mayor Elect of Hilsdale, MI.
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
Sweet! [Big Grin]

It'd suck to be the guy he beat, though.

Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Wasn't there a movie about something like this?
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it's interesting, but time will tell if it is a story about a talented and ambitious teenager, or about an electoral system with a glaring flaw.

I mean, really, the kid isn't even out of High School. Presumably he's a senior. In my experience the pressures of that year were enough to fill anyone's life. Add to that all the pressures of political office?

I think it's a fluke. There was very low voter turnout, indicating that perhaps no one thought there would be a serious challenge to the incumbent. The endorsement of the Fire Department is unconvincing. I think it's just a likely they knew they weren't going to get a 4th person on staff under the incumbent so they took a shot.

I know I'm sounding a bit like a wet blanket, and who knows? Maybe the kid will turn out to be a great politician. But I'm skeptical. I think it's more likely he will find that he's bitten off a bit more than he can chew. He doesn't even have a HS diploma to show as qualification for the job.

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if I should laugh or just be worried for the kid. I think I'll do both...
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe it's a trend
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foust
Member # 3043

- posted      Profile for Foust   Email Foust         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"We never thought this would happen," Hillsdale City Manager Tim Vagle told ABC News. "Now we will see what we need to do to make this work. [Sessions] missed a planning commission meeting this morning. I assume it is because he had school."
[ROFL]
Posts: 1515 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]

I think it's great. Here's hoping. [The Wave]

Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
The college I went to got a student elected to city council, which was a really big deal. Basically they got the majority of the campus registered to vote in the city elections. The campus was tired of stupid outdated laws like not allowing more than 4 girls in a house to a avoid brothels.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
Here in Texas, we had an 18 year old a few years ago get elected to a justice of the peace position I believe.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Stephan:
The college I went to got a student elected to city council, which was a really big deal. Basically they got the majority of the campus registered to vote in the city elections. The campus was tired of stupid outdated laws like not allowing more than 4 girls in a house to a avoid brothels.

So if you were the 5th girl in a house attendance was mandatory? [Confused]
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
Stephan,
Are you talking about somewhere in PA, or do other states have that crazy law too?

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celaeno
Member # 8562

- posted      Profile for Celaeno   Email Celaeno         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Stephan:
The campus was tired of stupid outdated laws like not allowing more than 4 girls in a house to a avoid brothels.

Snopes'd: http://www.snopes.com/college/halls/brothel.asp
Posts: 866 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
etphonehome
Member # 999

- posted      Profile for etphonehome   Email etphonehome         Edit/Delete Post 
This week a college student almost got elected to the city council of Ames, IA (home of Iowa State University) for the first time in many, many years. But he only got 49% of the vote in a three-way race, and a majority is needed to win, so there will be a runoff in a month. But I actually think he'd do a good job, so it might not be too similar to this mayor case.
Posts: 45 | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
There were two 19 year olds who were elected to mayor of small towns in PA in the last couple years. One of them was even reelected this week after his first term went so well, and he passed a police protection grant.

I think once people stop assuming things based on age, there won't be so many barriers to increased participation.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
There were no frat or sorority houses on campus anyways. Maybe it was for more then 4 men or women in a house. I never really looked into it. The campus just got tired of making a lot of money for the town, and never having any say.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
My college tried that about 2 years ago. Unfortunately, the guy who was running was a complete dink and only got 52 votes out of 4000.
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you saying he was meeker than the other candidates? [Razz]
Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
Peter Wiggin!

Having said that, I'd like to make a few points:

1. That is certainly a one-of-a-kind after school job.

2. Nobody's gonna believe him when he puts it on his resume for his first job filling in time in hamburger hell.

3. With that in his records, he better get some good colleges lined up.

4. "Hey man, you goin' to the party?"
"No, I got a city council meeting tonight. Sorry."

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.