FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Homemade Firefly cast Barbies (New! YoSaffBridge!)

Author Topic: Homemade Firefly cast Barbies (New! YoSaffBridge!)
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
We all deal with our obsessions in different ways. Teres has been working on making a Barbie set of the cast of Firefly.

All of the characters are in various states of construction, including a few guest stars she likes. Here's what's completed so far:

Zoe: 1 2

Jayne: 1

She wasn't happy with her original version of Jayne but we didn't want it to go to waste so we hit it with a whole can of fake stone spraypaint to make The Hero of Canton.

Many more to come...

[ December 26, 2005, 10:30 AM: Message edited by: Chris Bridges ]

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Those are cool. [Big Grin]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
That is incredibly cool. Zoe is such a beautiful woman that comes across even in plastic.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't understand. What is this Firefly that everyone keeps talking about here?
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
It's the best television series no one ever watched, it was cancelled and made into a movie that came out over a month ago, called Serenity.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Where was it? And when? What was it about? And if no one watched it, how does everyone know about it?

And why don't I?

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent
Member # 7850

- posted      Profile for Kent   Email Kent         Edit/Delete Post 
Tante, Serenity is the movie (still in theaters?) made from the series. Go see it! It is a cult classic already!
Posts: 231 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Firefly is a science fiction/western/comedy/drama from "Buffy" creator Joss Whedon. It came on FOX a few years back and was treated horribly -- started with the second episode, other episodes run out of order or pre-empted, cancelled after 11 episodes shown, the pilot shown after it was cancelled, etc -- but did tremendously well in DVD sales.

Universal Studios wanted Whedon and he wanted to do a Firefly movie, so he started work on "Serenity." Sales of the TV show DVDs clinched the deal, and the movie came out to incredible reviews and slumping ticket sales last September. The novelization and soundtrack continue to sell at the tops of their charts and the Firefly DVDs and newly released soundtrack are still going strong. The DVD for the movie will be out December 20th.
More info can be found at the official movie site.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Bwahahahahaha! Awesome! [Big Grin]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Originally posted by Kent:
still in theaters?

I checked. Apparently not. [Frown]
Theaca
Member # 8325

- posted      Profile for Theaca   Email Theaca         Edit/Delete Post 
It's still playing here, tonight! Tempting to go...
Posts: 1014 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Originally posted by Theaca:
It's still playing here...

Where? Where?

<looks around>

Theaca
Member # 8325

- posted      Profile for Theaca   Email Theaca         Edit/Delete Post 
Right here in Eastern Indiana, duh!
Posts: 1014 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Well, that is far away from New Jersey. You'll have to forgive me for not being able to see that far.
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]

Those are *fantastic* Chris!

Have you guys thought about posting pictures on of the official fan sites?

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I like them a lot!

I do have to say, however, that knitting a Jayne hat for an action figure is something that would have never occurred to me. Obsessive fan seems like too small a phrase to describe the phenomenon.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

I'd love to see some of the in-progress shots.

[Smile]

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

The hat was purchased by a fan who's cranking them out in any size desired. She makes Jayne hats for dolls, action figures, babies, and has expressed interest in making one that will cover a Volkswagon.

Teres gets frustrated with her incompletes -- she tends to repaint the faces a lot -- but I'll see what I can do.

breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll take one for a 69 Convertible VW!
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

I was wondering about the faces - does she just paint, or does she re-mould them at all?

They really are fantastic. [Smile]

KrabbyPatty
Member # 7055

- posted      Profile for KrabbyPatty   Email KrabbyPatty         Edit/Delete Post 
I love the tiny Jayne hat! I made four of the people-size hats - my first knitting project in maybe 20 years.

Edit: Zoe is awesome!

Posts: 113 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

Here's a pic of the Kaylee doll in progress. I think Teres wants to even up the face before adding the proper streaks of engine grease.

Note the tools and small bag of strawberries.

Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

She paints them all. She hasn't had as much luck remolding as she'd like, but she's trimmed features down to match when she can.
imogen
Member # 5485

They are great. *Great*

I'm seriously impressed.

NinjaBirdman
Member # 7114

- posted      Profile for NinjaBirdman   Email NinjaBirdman         Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome! [Smile]
Posts: 204 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

A more or less finished Kaylee.

1, 2

CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
My daughters are seriously impressed (well, so am I). They want to know when more will be done. Cayla says she should make Shepherd Book with hair-popping action. [ROFL] Amanda can't wait to see a River doll.
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

I like the idea of Hair-popping Book. [Smile]
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
I love the tiny Jayne hat!
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

River!

"Nothing in the 'verse can stop me."

imogen
Member # 5485

[Big Grin]

River's hair is great.

Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

I need to take a pic without the sweater, her hair isn't really that full.
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't it "No power in the 'verse can stop me?" [Evil]

*runs away*

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

Yup! I hang my head in browncoat shame.
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
[Wink] That doll really does look great. The gun is the perfect finishing touch.
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

Current status:

Mal - Got his clothes, his coat, and his hair (which looks great). Working on his suspenders and trying to find a close-enough gun. Still trying to get his facial tones right.
Wash - Shes not happy with the face, Alan Tudyk is an oddly shaped individual. Everything else is ready.
Simon - Just picked up a Disney doll with a Simonesque hairstyle.
Book - No problem with clothes, big problem getting the hair to look right.
Inara - Not sure what the holdup is here, I think costume-related.
Saffron - She added a fair bit of putty to a doll to get Saffron's decidedly unBarbie build right, but she wants to make a different dress than her first attempt.

Just FYI. [Smile]

imogen
Member # 5485

[Smile]

And when they're all done, you can stage re-enactments!

Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
This is really great. I'm so impressed that someone took the time and energy to make these characters. Real. I my adolescent slang I shall say "Kudos to you!"
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

I was thinking, you could also stage alternate endings.

So, you know, no-one dies and everybody lives happily ever after. (Because that's so Joss).

Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

Latest doll: Wash. Note the tiny dinosaur in his hand.

And here's the happy couple.

sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
awwww... [Smile]

You have a point that Alan Tudyk would be hard to do. The man has a seriously prominent chin.

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
Teres needs to make sure Zoe's always standing on something -- Wash is way too tall in comparison! [Wink]
Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

They look great together. [Smile]
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

Teresa finished this one some time ago but holiday chores and general laziness kept me from posting her. I give you YoSaffBridge:

Saffron: Close up | Full body

Also, Teres surprised me Christmas morning with a doll I didn't know she was working on... me.

Me: Close up | Full body

She was far too kind to my hairline for it to be a true resemblance but I definitely wasn't expecting it. She said originally my gut was more modest but my sons helpfully added stuffing until it approached reality. There's also a book in one hand and a cellphone in the other.

Problem is, now I need a Teresa doll and that could be tricky. Maybe she could load up the putty on a Skipper doll...

Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
:snork: I love the T-shirt!
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rCX
Member # 8503

- posted      Profile for rCX           Edit/Delete Post 
Nice [Big Grin] ! You should take a picture with the whole crew together!
Posts: 164 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.