FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » About this Nifty Job

Author Topic: About this Nifty Job
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Due to no fault of my own I have lost it today.
I am an excellent worker according to them, but they have to get rid of all of their temp clerical workers.
They seem to want me back. They also threw me a party with pizza and cake and gave me $170.00 whole dollars!
People are nice to me for some reason.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry you lost your job, but if they did all that for you, they really, really liked you. Can you apply for a regular job there?
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
When the budget thing is resolved, they seem to want me back... So I reckon I have been downsized. Or temporarily laid off.
But, my mother will lecture me anyway. [Frown]

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Hold on while I explode in anger for a moment.

***BOOOM***

Ok, Tell your mom that being laid off, especially for no fault of your own, is one of the worst feelings that you can have and that a lecture won't make it any better. You couldn't have kept this job if you'd been Jesus and every day at lunch you kept the entire company in loaves and fishes because you were let go for bugetary reasons.

((syn)) I've been laid off twice. It really stinks. But get out there and look for another job. Don't count on your old one coming back to you. And don't let it get you down!

Pix

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Pixiest is absolutely right. This is not your fault and you really should take the way you were let go and their feelings toward you as the compliment that it is.

I agree, don't wait for this one to come back - budgetary problems seldom get resolved quickly if they get resolved at all. Ask the employer for a good reference letter - sounds like you'll get one - and move on.

Best of luck!

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kettricken
Member # 8436

- posted      Profile for Kettricken   Email Kettricken         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck finding another job, it may not seem like it, but there will be another just as good if you keep looking.

I agree with the Pixiest when it comes to your mother. This is not your fault, let her know that you are upset and need support not a lecture.

Posts: 169 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
I am absolutely NOT saying that this is the situation in Syn's case, but it may be what her mother will think when she hears the news:

Many companies use "budget cuts" or "budget shortfalls" as an excuse to get rid of someone who they just don't like but can't otherwise justify termination. The person is a good worker, friendly, conscientious, competent, all the things they're supposed to be. But because of a personality quirk or because they started off on the wrong foot with someone, they find themselves let go under the guise of "budget". Been there, done that, turned out for the best in the long run. In my case, I was "too friendly" with coworkers and apparently management thought I was a distraction. But rather than address the issue with the people who were lagging in their work, or talking to me to say that I may be interfering with other people's abilities to get their jobs done, I was just let go. It turned out better for me, though, because the department was in the process of moving to another location that would have tripled my daily commute.

Syn, I'm sending you lots of good vibes that the closing of this door is an indication of an open window of opportunity. {{{}}}

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

It makes me think of going to Japan
But it might be different in this case. I do between 50-100 correspondance letters a day. Most of my letters have little or no mistakes in them. Plus, I wasn't the only one. They got rid of ALL the temp workers and clerical workers. I think they will suffer a bit as a result. They got rid of overtime, so there are not enough people to do these letters.
But they could always think ill of all of my Dir en grey pictures in my cubicles, but they told me thousands of time that my work was first rate...
So at least I did a good job...

Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
If they got rid of all the clerical workers, then my comment definitely does not apply. Which is most positive news (strange as that may seem) and simply supports our knowledge that you were an excellent worker.

And yeah, they're definitely going to suffer for getting rid of everyone... not that it's your problem anymore.

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry Lynn. [Frown]

Good luck dealing with your mother, and finding a new job.

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.