FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » SciFiction is being cancelled :-(

Author Topic: SciFiction is being cancelled :-(
OlavMah
Member # 756

- posted      Profile for OlavMah   Email OlavMah         Edit/Delete Post 
And I am very sad. This was one of my favorite markets to read, and was one of the first online markets to be recognized as a pro market by SFWA.

Address for gripes and protests: feedback@scifi.com

Posts: 700 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
On a good note, I really liked that book you recommended. [Smile]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Darn, I liked reading those. I guess now is the time for everyone to start copying the archive onto their own computers...
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
You scared me for a second.

I thought you meant ALL Science Fiction was being canceled.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I thought you meant ALL Science Fiction was being canceled.
It is.

Damn you, Rupert Murdoch!

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
[Wave]

Hi Ralphie. I just checked to make sure this wasn't a phantom bump of an old thread.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, Dana. [Smile]

This topic a year old would be a particularly lame phantom bump. (But now I've got plans 11/13/06!)

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by dkw:
[Wave]

Hi Ralphie. I just checked to make sure this wasn't a phantom bump of an old thread.

I did the same thing. [Smile]

Hiya from me, too. [Big Grin]

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Ralphie girl! [Wave]

Did you get your chicken yet or are you stuck in the drive-thru of life? [Kiss]

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
*pinches self* Ow!

Hiya, Ralphie. [Wave]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Who's 'Ralphie?'

Some n00b, I guess...

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Destineer
Member # 821

- posted      Profile for Destineer           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh my god, this is terrible. This is the worst thing to happen to the biz since SF Age went under.
Posts: 4600 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Ralphie!

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
>>This is the worst thing to happen to the biz since SF Age went under.

Well, I don't know about that. I consider the advent of the 'Battlefield Earth' and 'Dungeons and Dragons' movies to be the worst things to happen to the speculative fiction business.

But it's not good, that's for sure.

But think-- sci-fi.com was paying upwards of .20/word for stories, and getting nothing back. Ellen Datlow said that when the 'zine started, the idea was to take the stories published in the 'zine and make them into movies. That never happened.

There was no return on revenue-- how could they convince upper managment to keep it running?

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OlavMah
Member # 756

- posted      Profile for OlavMah   Email OlavMah         Edit/Delete Post 
.25 per word. SciFiction brought people to the SciFi website, and *that* was the "return on revenue". Yes, they also made noises about developing stories into movies, but I don't know that that was ever pursued with any seriousness. They didn't lack for material.

The amount of money that went to Ellen's salary and to her inventory are small change for SciFi. They pay a lot more on options that they then don't exercise (based on what I've seen from colleagues who've sold options to SciFi). It's also a pretty cheap way to generate publicity, given that SciFiction routinely made the final ballot at the Hugos and Nebulas and won two Hugos this past year.

Basically, SciFiction put SciFi.com on every serious fan, author, and artist's radar. Incidentally, the feedback (feedback@scifi.com) emails are being read and excerpts forwarded on to the higher ups. So if this interests you, it's definitely worth an email.

I'm glad you liked the book, Mack! Sequel's out next spring.

Posts: 700 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, hello Ralphie:) Pleased to e-see you.

This just in: soap-operas, CANCELLED

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.