FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Out-of-state job interview advice

Author Topic: Out-of-state job interview advice
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
It looks like I've got a potential job interview in Tucson, Arizona. They said that I'm potentially a good fit for the job and that they'd like to meet me in person. Sounds good to me.

The only problem is, that's 800 miles away. I figure it'll be cheaper to fly down in the morning, rent a car, and fly back that same day than to spend two days driving and get a hotel. Even so, I'm still looking at $300 spent on an interview for a job that I don't know if I get.

Ruth's mom suggested asking them to go halves on it. She said that way they'll feel like they've already invested something in me, so they'll be more likely to hire me. I don't know about that. It seems pretty presumptuous of me to ask them to pay for that.

So what do the great citizens of Hatrack think? Do I bite the bullet and fork out the cash for the chance to get this job? Do I ask them to chip in? Do I tell them that I'd love to come down there but it just costs to much, so could we please just do a phone interview? I'm feeling a little overwhelmed at the moment.

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Are you sure they're not already planning on paying for it? The company paying for travel expenses if they'd like to meet you is pretty standard.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, every job interview I've ever had out of state, they picked up the tab.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
ElJay and JT have the right of it, in my experience.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
See, now, I'm reading that as in your experience JT and I are always right, as opposed to your experience in this matter agrees with ours. Please do not correct me if I'm wrong. [Big Grin]
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck at the interview. Don't whistle in the elevator.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
If the company won't pick up the tab don't go.

It's pretty standard business practice to pay for the interviewee's travel expenses, if they won't, then they aren't being serious about you and I say don't spend your money on it.

I would call and say something like "Considering the distance I have to travel, would you rather conduct any preliminary interviews by phone, so that you need only fly me out there for the final interviews if necessary?"

That puts you in a good light - you're trying to be accomodating to them by suggesting the phone interview process but you make it clear (in a polite way) that you expect them to pay travel expenses for the interview.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Be also on the look out about going halvsies. There is a con going around where you send them 1/2 the money for the trip, then they fold up and disappear.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with what Belle said, Jon. She gave very reasonable advice. [Smile]
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wendybird
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Wendybird   Email Wendybird         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm here in Tucson and though I don't have an extra room my husband and I do have a comfortable couch (he knows he's slept on it many times when the kids kick him out of our bed) and you would be welcome to stay if need be. If you need any help finding your way around Tucson or whatever please email me and I'll be happy to help in whatever way I can!
Posts: 1132 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ElJay:
See, now, I'm reading that as in your experience JT and I are always right, as opposed to your experience in this matter agrees with ours. Please do not correct me if I'm wrong. [Big Grin]

[Big Grin]

::carefully doesn't correct::

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan K.
Member # 7720

- posted      Profile for Jonathan K.   Email Jonathan K.         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dan_raven:
Be also on the look out about going halvsies. There is a con going around where you send them 1/2 the money for the trip, then they fold up and disappear.

It doesn't seem that logical though, they would only stand to make about $150.
Posts: 220 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

It's worth pointing out that the interview will be with a university, so I doubt there's much chance of them folding up and going away. Also, this will be my first experience with this sort of thing, so I didn't know if the company usualy foots the bill.

Thanks for the advice, everyone, and thanks for the very generous offer, Wendybird. I'll be sure to let you know if I need any help. [Smile]

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samarkand
Member # 8379

- posted      Profile for Samarkand   Email Samarkand         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a Wendy Bird! Ok, sorry, shh shh. Shh.
Posts: 471 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Did someone just drop a Hook reference? They must've, because Noemon said that I'm always right, and he's very smart.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peterh
Member # 5208

- posted      Profile for peterh   Email peterh         Edit/Delete Post 
Any respectable organization (gov't or not) should pick up the bill for meeting you in person. It's all part of the cost per hire in recruiting. If they like you that much, it'd be worth it to them.

With my recent job interviews in Utah, I got myself there, but only because I was already taking my family there on vacation and simply let the company know I'd be in town on such-n-such days.

Because of my getting myself to the interviews, I negotiated a trip back up for my wife and I to find a house (including flights and rental car (no hotel was needed)) later on. If the company had not agreed to this, as well as relocation expenses, it would have been a huge red flag to me that maybe I didn't want to work for such a company.

PS. Why is everyone trying to leave Utah just when I'm getting there. (I move into my house next week)

Posts: 995 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Why do you think there are houses available? [Wink]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theaca
Member # 8325

- posted      Profile for Theaca   Email Theaca         Edit/Delete Post 
My dad says as far as he knows, universities do pay for applicants for professors and others to come and interview. He's a department chairman so he is involved in a lot of interviews these days. However, he did comment that funds for this are limited in many universities. It's possible that the company doesn't have funds for it now. Or that they've already used up all their funds allotted for looking for that particular job opening. However it certainly wouldn't be a bad thing to ask about it. All they can do is say no.

[ November 13, 2005, 04:58 PM: Message edited by: Theaca ]

Posts: 1014 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

- posted      Profile for Allegra   Email Allegra         Edit/Delete Post 
A company in Toronto wanted to hire my father a few years back. They paid for my parents and I to fly there for a couple of days as well as for me to have my own hotel room. They paid all of our expenses and even showed my mother and I things that we would enjoy in the city based off of what my father told them. I realize that this is a bit above and beyond, but it was very nice.
Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately, when you're looking and they're not recruiting you, they may not be inclined to pay to bring you out-- just not be interested if you're not willing to come out to interview. *speaks from experience*
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wendybird
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Wendybird   Email Wendybird         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey my dh said we'll just kick the boys out of their room (they usually come into our room in the middle of the night anyway!) and you can have the queen bed in their room. Gee if its for a university would it be the only major university in Tucson? [Big Grin] When would you be coming down? My dh graduates in December so he knows tons, he's been there awhile.
Posts: 1132 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FIJC
Member # 5505

- posted      Profile for FIJC   Email FIJC         Edit/Delete Post 
If the company will not pay to fly you out, hotel, food, etc., then I wouldn't go.
Posts: 57 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
Every out of state interview I've ever had (three of them so far -- was offered the job for every one, but only took two of them -- part of the interview process is discovering if you *want* the job. On the one I didn't take, I could tell the company culture was not one I wanted to be involved with, though the job would have been a good opportunity.), the company paid for everything and made the arrangements. Two of those companies were seriously cheap. I paid my relocation expenses for one I took, but looking back, should have insisted on a relocation bonus to defray my costs. The other one was a full ride relocation, as I was going to work for a multibillion dollar company. It was just part of their standard hiring process.

Believe that you are worth every penny and that you are THE ONE for the job. After all, they couldn't find someone better closer to home. I say that not to make you arrogant, but to make you stand up for yourself. As it is a university, they should pay your way out, hire you a car or meet you at the airport if it's just a one day trip. If you get the job, they should fly you and Ruth out for a househunting trip. And they should pay for at least part of your relocation. Just ask them outright how this is typically handled in their organization. If they want you to make the arrangements, they should have a travel agent to work through, so that the expenses go directly to them. You should not prepay for anything.

Good luck!! I hope this is a job you're really interested in.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Well, I told them that I think I'm not interested after all. They couldn't pay for my travel expenses, so they almost certainly couldn't pay for relocation, too. And even if they had paid me the high end of the pay range, it would have been settling. It just wouldn't have been worth it.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.