FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Pride and Prejudice, the US ending...

Author Topic: Pride and Prejudice, the US ending...
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh no...
Looks like Hollywood just COULDN'T keep their damn hands off changing this classic for the worse.

US version extended "sweeter" ending.

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
Pride and Prejudice...a classic? Blech!
[Wall Bash]

Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't the BBC version have Mr. Darcy coming out of his lake all wet and sexy like?
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
What do you mean.. Blech? [Wink]
Pride & Prejudice is AWESOME! [Cool]

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

Well... yes they did... but this is different!
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
Wuthering Heights < Pride and Prejudice < Everything else I had to read in high school. That's what I mean by blech. That book was one of the worst things I've ever read. Yuck, just thinking about it is boring me.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

[Wink]
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Have you seen the American movie version where Mrs. Bennet is determined not to allow the Reverend William Collins to achieve ownership of Longbourn, and plots to set a time bomb in the Estate. There is this awesome climactic scene where Elizabeth, her bodice strategically ripped, and Darcy, stripped to the waist and glistening with sweat, attempt to diffuse the bomb. They are almost in time, and realize that they are unable to diffuse it -- explosion is imminent. The run from the building just as it explodes, hurling them, still running in slow motion, in the air towards the camera. For some reason, Darcy is also holding a machine gun, which he fires while hurled in the air.

Darcy and Elizabeth land, fetchingly smudged, but otherwise unscathed, in each other's arms. It is at this point that Elizabeth realizes that she loves Fitzwilliam Darcy after all, and agrees to marry him. Consummation ensues as the music swells and the camera discreetly pans away.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
calaban
Member # 2516

- posted      Profile for calaban   Email calaban         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL] btw just finished the A&E version yesterday. Its the best.
Posts: 686 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Consummation ensues
[ROFL] Holy Crap Tante, that was hilarious!!!
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crotalus
Member # 7339

- posted      Profile for Crotalus   Email Crotalus         Edit/Delete Post 
Me and the wife had just finished watching the A&E version a while back when she rented 'Bridgett Jones Diary'. We watched up until the time of the Christmas party and someone was about to introduce 'Darcy'. I said, "Wouldn't it be cool if it was the guy that played Darcy on Pride and Prejudice?" Imagine our surprise when it was. After that we couldn't help but notice similarities in the general plotlines. I really do think that BJD was directly inspired by P&P, only updated and done much much worse.
Posts: 232 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
The UK ending was understated and very 'sweet' in it's own way. I'm all for the smoochies, but in a Jane Austen movie it just seems like overkill.
Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

(to Crotalus) You are right on all counts. It was all on purpose.
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm rather partial to the Greer Garson/Laurence Olivier version myself.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

I love those two actors SOOO much, but I was bummed at the production designer for that movie. It seemed like it was set in the pre Civil War South rather than the Regency era in England. Just irked me. But their performances really are wonderful in that version.
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
The costumes are pretty goofy - but you just gotta love those hats!
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Audeo
Member # 5130

- posted      Profile for Audeo   Email Audeo         Edit/Delete Post 
You know if you really dislike the new ending, you could just leave 8 minutes early, and pretend it ended where it the UK version did.
Posts: 349 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
To Narnia and Crotalus: Not only are you right, but Bridget Jones was specifically inspired by the A&E mini-series. Mark Darcy was specifically inspired by Colin Firth, along with the whole plot being a Clueless-style P&P adaptation.
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crotalus
Member # 7339

- posted      Profile for Crotalus   Email Crotalus         Edit/Delete Post 
I knew it! Ha! I love it when I am right. So seldom ever happens.
Posts: 232 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.