FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Wrongful Life Suits

Author Topic: Wrongful Life Suits
Foust
Member # 3043

- posted      Profile for Foust   Email Foust         Edit/Delete Post 
From Courttv.com:

quote:
A blind and deaf Australian woman who claims she never should have been born is suing a doctor for a lifetime of suffering in the country's first "wrongful life" suit.

Alexia Harriton, 24, is seeking compensation from the doctor who misdiagnosed rubella in the first trimester of her mother's pregnancy, claiming Olga Harriton would have aborted her had she been aware of the potential birth defects arising from the illness.

<snip>

A similar claim had greater success in California, where the state appeals court found that a testing laboratory was responsible for the medical costs associated with the care of a child whose parents were not informed of the potential for a certain genetic disease being passed onto the fetus.

So many issues here. Let's brainstorm:

Parents openly regretting the birth of their child

Placing a dollar value on non-existence

Hating your life so much that you sue your doctor, but for some reason not commiting suicide

I'm sure there's plenty more. See what you can come up with!

Posts: 1515 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Princess Leah
Member # 6026

- posted      Profile for Princess Leah   Email Princess Leah         Edit/Delete Post 
1. I see parents regretting that thier child was born without the opportunities they would have wanted for her.

2. Why don't we call it placing a dollar value on withholding information and/or malpractice? Forget the fact that it's a "wrongful life" case; what the doctor did was WRONG.

quote:
Hating your life so much that you sue your doctor, but for some reason not commiting suicide
[my emphasis]

I'm sorry, if I abide by Hatrack's user agreement I can't say what I would very much like to say about this idea. Foust, perhaps you could elaborate a little on this last idea so I would be able to know whether to get angry or to let some poor phrasing slide.

Posts: 866 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite issue is placing a dollar value on non-existance. The California suit makes more sense, since it was costs the parents would have avoided if the doctor had made the correct diagnosis. Although I think the doctor should be allowed to countersue for the value the child brought to the parents, which they would have missed out on if they'd aborted it.

I wonder, would the Australian woman call it even if the doctor simply revoked her life? If she truly feels her existence itself deserves recompense, logically (to me) it means she believes she is worth more to herself dead than alive. And so it is odd that she hasn't ended her own life, if she really feels that way.

Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
It is very sad, indeed, that this woman sees her entire life as a burden. My husband has severe disabilities, and as a nurse, I work with people who have severe disabilities. People can lead meaningful, worthwhile lives, able-bodied or not, or people can lead miserable, unfulfilling lives, able-bodied or not. The level of ability is not what quantifies the quality of the life.

I hope that the lawsuit gets dismissed.

On the other hand, I have heard of "wrongful life" cases where a person's living will or express wishes to forego "heroic measures" was disregarded in the face of a severe or progressive debilitating condition, and the person was sustained in pain and debility contrary to the expressed desire to be allowed to die.

I think that this is another situation entirely, and DOES haver merit.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MandyM
Member # 8375

- posted      Profile for MandyM   Email MandyM         Edit/Delete Post 
There is another issue here too. What are the religious repercussions of wishing you were never born? I think that God works in ways such as these. The doctor's misdiagnosis allowed this woman to be born. She was created by God for a purpose. It is sad that she hasn't overcome her disabilities enough to find out what that purpose is. I certainly hope that suing the doctor isn't it. I would hate to see her win this case. I do see a malpractice suit here but not "wrongful life."

Sorry if I open a can of worms here. Just stating my own personal beliefs.

Posts: 1319 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
The main problem I have is how can the woman be certain that her mother would have aborted her?

She may say that now, but there is no way to be certain what she would have done, because when she was pregnant she may have reacted differently.

If there's malpractice, then I say it's on the part of the mother - she could be able to sue saying that she didn't receive a proper diagnosis. But I don't see how the child herself has grounds to sue.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.