FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Something to bring a smile to your face

Author Topic: Something to bring a smile to your face
theresa51282
Member # 8037

- posted      Profile for theresa51282   Email theresa51282         Edit/Delete Post 
This made me laugh out loud when I read it. The government outsmarted by otters.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/science/11/16/freerange.otters.ap/index.html

Posts: 416 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
That's otter madness!
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Audeo
Member # 5130

- posted      Profile for Audeo   Email Audeo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
This concept of taking animals and putting them in one place and expecting them to stay where we want them ... wasn't really working," said Sanders, 44, a U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service biologist.

I thought that was a funny quote. Still after all this work you'd think they'd have done some sort of study to figure how or why the otters returned to their native environment.
Posts: 349 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theresa51282
Member # 8037

- posted      Profile for theresa51282   Email theresa51282         Edit/Delete Post 
That line really cracked me up too. Clearly this biologist never had a cat.
Posts: 416 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm wondering how many people have had on going battles with squirrels and birdfeeders.

I know my mom constantly has to adapt her set up so that the squirrels don't eat all the bird food.

Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, revolution has begun. For the American biologists, tomorrow the world!

"Who should rule the world otter than humans? Why, otters of course!"

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RoyHobbs
Member # 7594

- posted      Profile for RoyHobbs   Email RoyHobbs         Edit/Delete Post 
"Otters of the world, UNITE!!"
Posts: 201 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
UNTIE, darn it, UNTIE.
Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

O.T.T.E.R.S.

"Otters to Take Earth Revolution to Sweden"

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
After waiting for an otter to fall asleep, wildlife crews would sneak up beneath it with a propeller-powered craft manned by a diver and snare it in a net. The otter then would be flown in a chartered plane or driven hundreds of miles to a Northern California beach for re-release. Some died from the stress.
[Frown]
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

I loved Otters when I was a kid. This is terrible stuff. Maybe I should start a Pro-Otter Life organization. I'm sure it would be so helpful here where I live near no seas, oceans, or rivers.

Well, actually, I do live close to the Meramac River, but it doesn't have any otters.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.