FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Club for People Who Know Random Facts That No One Else Cares About

Author Topic: Club for People Who Know Random Facts That No One Else Cares About
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I have to admit it. I'm a dork. I know random facts. And I'm in Scholar Bowl.

I actually joined it two weeks late, so I am not a Starter. We run our program on a point system:

You get five points for coming to practice and one point for each correct answer. The five people with the highest points are Starters.

Anywho, I'm not a Starter. But we have a competition this weekend. I'm going out to support the home team.

I've been told that, at some point, I'll end up as a Starter anyway. But, for now, I am just going to watch the team.

We've only had nine or ten practices, but I do a fairly good job. I'd probably be a Starter if I'd joined when everyone else did.

But, for the most part, what I'm trying to get at is that I know random facts and I'd appreciate it if you would wish my school's dorky team luck in beating other school's dorky teams.

I'm a dork, I know it. And I'm proud of it. [Big Grin]

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dawnmaria
Member # 4142

- posted      Profile for dawnmaria   Email dawnmaria         Edit/Delete Post 
I was in Scholar Bowl when I was in high school. It was kind of funny because everyone assumed because I wore all black and had the sides of my head shaved that I was stupid. Actually, I was pretty smart. It disarmed a few people. And this was WAY back before goth. We were just weird! I had fun going to compete. I hope you enjoy it!
Posts: 601 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I wish we'd had, or been told about, something like this at my high school when I was there.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samarkand
Member # 8379

- posted      Profile for Samarkand   Email Samarkand         Edit/Delete Post 
I was in Knowledge Masters and Quiz Bowl . . . and I was goooood.
Posts: 471 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, dork Steve. Happy dorkness.

Yeah, I also wished we'd had something like this back when I was in school. But then, everyone already hated me for being smarter than them - this would have just cemented that hate-hate relationship. Ah well. [Smile]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Audeo
Member # 5130

- posted      Profile for Audeo   Email Audeo         Edit/Delete Post 
I find it the variations on the names humorous, but I was in Knowledge Bowl and Hi-Q. My Knowledge Bowl team went to state 3 years in a row (we kept 3 team members the same, and only had the fourth person change), but the same team sucked at Hi-Q. Nevertheless, I am still full of random facts that no one else cares about, except now that I'm in college, there's not even a competetition to excuse it. [Frown] I miss quiz bowls.
Posts: 349 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, the memories! I was in Academic League in High School, and then in College, College Bowl. It was great fun!

In my town, we had two high schools (creatively named), "North" and "South". I went to North. We named our team the "North Academic Demons" or "NADS". Our team cheer was "Go NADS! Go NADS!" Until one day a teacher from an opposing team whispered in the ear of our adviser, who went all red in the face and told us not to say that any more because "It has a different meaning than we thought it did" [ROFL]

We changed our cheer to "Gimme an E -- Gimme an X -- Gimme an L -- Gimme an A -- Gimme an X -- What does it spell? EX-LAX! What does it mean? GO! GO! GO!"

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I was on the Quiz Bowl team in high school. Our team wasn't always that good, but at our last meet of my last year we went 1 farther than the 3 'placement' matches.

I remember one of our competing schools had a *fabulous* QB team. They would always completely kick our trash when we played them, and usually went on to win first or second place at any competition.

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Tante [Smile] I'm so amused. [ROFL] How slow were those advisors? *snort*
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry folks, but you can't just claim to know random facts of little value.

You must prove it.

If you want to join the Trivia Organization of Elegant Jatraqueros, All Mighty (or TOEJAM) you must display one random useless fact.

For example. Did you know that in Montana, in 1872, you could not hang a man with a wooden leg?

You had to use a rope like everywhere else.

Good luck Steve

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
The human body can be drained of blood in 8.6 seconds given adequate vaccuuming systems.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SC Carver
Member # 8173

- posted      Profile for SC Carver   Email SC Carver         Edit/Delete Post 
A regulation NCAA football should be filled between 12.5 and 13.5 PSI.

Quadriplegics can not sweat below their injury level.

In Korea Tuna eye is considered a delicacy. (it is cut up into very small pieces, then mixed with water and done as a shot)

Van Gogh painted 70 canvases during the last 70 days of his life. He only sold 1 painting during his lifetime, for the price of a meal.

The "Ugly Stik" is the best selling fishing rod in America, selling over 1 million rods a year.

“Tweety” from the Looney Tunes is Male. He is commonly thought to be female.

How’s that for random?

Posts: 555 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I have never thought of Tweety as female!
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Although many people believe that the official state bird of New Jersey is --|--, it is actually the Eastern Goldfinch.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

I have never thought of Tweety as female either.

except for that one dream

mmmm what a dream!!

what a tweety!

the feathers tickled.

I woke up chewing on my pillow.

But that is getting way off the subject.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yank
Member # 2514

- posted      Profile for Yank   Email Yank         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The human body can be drained of blood in 8.6 seconds given adequate vaccuuming systems.
Stolen, of course, from River in Firefly. To which Mal adds, "See? Morbid and creepifying I can deal with, just not yelling."

"Creepifying" is a great word.

Posts: 1631 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
I've always thought that PHOAKS (People Helping One Another Know Stuff) would be a good name for an academic decathlon team (scholar bowl, whichever it happens to be in your region).

Random facts to come later.

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Although many people believe that the official state bird of New Jersey is --|--, it is actually the Eastern Goldfinch.
[ROFL]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

An Obscure Law in Georgia, that I stumbled across while stumbling across the living room:

No person is allowed to carry an ice cream cone in their back pocket if the day that the cone is pocketed is a Sunday.

Another one:

Mules can't be kept in the bath.

A Texan Law:

It is illegal to sell one of your eyeballs.

And, just for us Dan, a St. Louis city law:

It is illegal for a milk man to run while delivering milk.

Its funny, I found all of these in a pamplet on the government that talked about laws. It gave examples of some laws, and it gave examples of stupid laws. There were quite a number of stupid laws, but the above ones stuck with me because I found them to be quite humurous.

Do I qualify now Dan_Raven?

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
Yank, darling, most of what I say is a Firefly quote. Best get used to the idea.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiua
Member # 7825

- posted      Profile for aiua   Email aiua         Edit/Delete Post 
A pregnant goldfish is called a twit and the dot over the letter 'i' is called a tittle.
Posts: 1215 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.factmonster.com/

My favorite random fact site.

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Cows can walk upstairs, but not downstairs. I know this for a fact, because I tried it.

Um, does anyone know a good butcher who will make a house call?

SteveRogers
Member # 7130

Not anymore.
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
The state bird of Arizona is the Cactus Wren. The state neckwear is the bolo tie. Isn't that special? [Wink]

Here's another fun fact. The coolest military helicopter in the world, the AH64A, is built here.

Arizona became a state on February 14th, 1912. That's the same year the Titanic sank.

Is that enough useless information to qualify me for membership in the club?

Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

You are an Arizona Scholar. All Hail!

Bolo ties. It just figures, doesn't it?

James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
from the annals of our HS quiz bowl team:

Tippacanoe = William Henry Harrison. rCX will know the signifigance of this.

[Wink]

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
I should point out that I don't own a bolo tie. In fact, I only know one person who does. That would be my uncle Tom.

He often wears them when lecturing on the legend of the Lost Dutchman's mine.

Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
My own current personal favorite random fact:

Steven Spielberg's first choice to play the role of Roy Neary in "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" was Steve McQueen. However, McQueen declined the role because he didn't think he could cry on camera as was required for the role.

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CRash
Member # 7754

- posted      Profile for CRash   Email CRash         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been in Knowledge Bowl for two years now, and I'm a fan of weird facts.

One I got the other day was about this other cool club in New York City. It's called the Tall Club. It is just what the name implies--a club for tall people. Established in 1942, the Tall Club became a popular social meeting-place. Requirements are that you must be at least 6'2" if male, 5'10" if female. That's pretty much it.

Sadly, I cannot join the Big Apple's Tall Club. But that's all right, since I live nowhere near New York anyway.

Posts: 973 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Contrary to popular opinion, 'anyhow' is not, in fact, spelled 'anywho'. I really don't understand why people make this mistake, it's not as though 'how' sounds even remotely like 'who'.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by SteveRogers:
And, just for us Dan, a St. Louis city law:

It is illegal for a milk man to run while delivering milk.

This law was instituted, of course, because if a milkman tripped and fell while delivering milk no one would be able to tell if he was crying due to an injury or over the spilled milk. In St. Louis if you're gonna transgress against a platitude, they want to be able to tell.
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Random fact... Fungi have two nuclei per cell. Scary! [Angst] [Smile]
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
A regulation NCAA football should be filled between 12.5 and 13.5 PSI.
But 12.5 is easier to catch and throw. 13.5 feels like playing football with a rock.

Also, male seahorses get pregnant. And the gestation period for an elephant is 18 months.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

Yes Steve, and everyone else, you qualify.

I once won a trivia game because of a bug-bunny cartoon I remembered watching. Sports is the subject that I am least prepared for, but I had to get one sports question right to win.

The question: "Who promised to turn you from a 90# weekling into a muscle man?"

Answer: Charles Atlas (as parodied in many Bugs Bunny cartoons, and about everyone else including Benny Hill)

imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
The only unicameral State in Australia is Queensland.

(Random *and* irrelevant to most of the board - I win! [Big Grin] )

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Well, the female seahorse gets pregnant, but then passes the products of conception over to the male seahorse to carry.

Way to go!

KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:
Well, the female seahorse gets pregnant, but then passes the products of conception over to the male seahorse to carry.

Way to go!

Actually, it is the male that gets pregnant. The female deposits un-fertilized eggs into the male's pouch and he releases his sperm into the pouch and carries the eggs until they hatch. link

[Smile]

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rCX
Member # 8503

- posted      Profile for rCX           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Tippacanoe = William Henry Harrison. rCX will know the signifigance of this.
[Eek!]
Posts: 164 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genius00345
Member # 8206

- posted      Profile for genius00345   Email genius00345         Edit/Delete Post 
I love Quiz Bowl. I lettered as a freshman on varsity. My extensive knowledge of random facts helps a lot. Hey, steve, maybe we should play each other in a match (our teams, I mean). That would be cool.

Alex

Posts: 206 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Humean316
Member # 8175

- posted      Profile for Humean316   Email Humean316         Edit/Delete Post 
Fun fact: the Hudson River isnt a river, its a title estuary because it is deeper than the body of water it flows into.

Charlemegne is French for Charles the Great.
There are three words in the english language that begin with the letters dw: dwindle, dwarf, and dwell.

Posts: 457 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
I did a computerized version in middle school that I forget the name of. Schools all around the state competed and each school had a team. Ours was made of the AEP (Advanced Education Program) kids. We got to miss a full day of school for it. [Smile]

Edit: Knowledge Master Open. Anyone else do it? It had auk-ful auk jokes like auk-cellent and vunderbars and things like that.

Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
D. James Larkin
Member # 8865

- posted      Profile for D. James Larkin   Email D. James Larkin         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm SR, are you sure you wouldn't rather be a geek than a dork?

One never knows though, maybe there is an upcoming film about a whale based on the writings of Herman Melville being cast.

Posts: 14 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiua
Member # 7825

- posted      Profile for aiua   Email aiua         Edit/Delete Post 
I did that too, kojabu. Absolutley horrid jokes is all that I remember. We did it after school, though. More of a party than a contest.
Posts: 1215 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Nanoarchaeum equitans is the smallest known organism and has the smallest genome ever sequenced.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Grey horses are born black, and black horses are born "mousey grey."
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.