FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Bored with hamburger

Author Topic: Bored with hamburger
dawnmaria
Member # 4142

- posted      Profile for dawnmaria   Email dawnmaria         Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone have any cool recipes for hamburger meat? I am sick of the same old same old. And since it's cheap at the commissary we eat it alot! I would appreciate any new meal ideas! If I make spagetti again my hubby may revolt!
Posts: 601 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dabbler
Member # 6443

- posted      Profile for dabbler   Email dabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
The only thing I can think of offhand is kinda weird for American families... It's ground meat, soy sauce, some sugar. Cook together and eat with rice (and some sides). I vaguely remember this from childhood. I'm guessing you're also sick of tacos?
Posts: 1261 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dawnmaria
Member # 4142

OOO! The hubby loves soy sauce! He might like that! Oh, yes I am over tacos in all their incarnations!
Posts: 601 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
My mom likes to mix steamed rice, stewed tomatoes, and hamburger together. She eats it weekly.
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
I love cumin with beef mince. [Smile]

Here's some that recipe*zaar had:

Hamburger Stroganoff served with rice or pasta.

Danish meatballs with creamy dill sauce sounds yum - bit more work though. I'm sure you could adapt it to your budget.

Cabbage rolls?

Oooh, how about moussake, using ground beef instead of ground lamb? (yummmm, moussaka).

Or shepard's pie. If you do make shepard's pie, you can play around with it - add mashed sweet potato to the potato topping, change the spices, veggies etc to your liking.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dabbler
Member # 6443

- posted      Profile for dabbler   Email dabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, you could make some indian recipes with the beef (practically sacriligious, I know). Is there an indian grocery or small convenience store near you? The one near me sells little boxes of spices for a dollar apiece or so, that is enough for 4-5 servings at full strength. You might be able to fashion kebabs with the ground meat, or keema mattar (ground meat with peas) at least.
Posts: 1261 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Our favorites are Loosemeat Sandwiches and Texas Hash. We also like kafta (mix ground beef with many, many spices-- it's Lebanese/Lebanese-Armenian-- and a dash of lemon juice, form into cigars, brown in salted pan, and then cover and steam.) Then there's chili, stuffed grape leaves, sauerbraten klopse (German meatballs in sweet-sour gravy), ground beef soup (use whatever's in the fridge and cupboards), stuffed peppers/cabbage... All favorites of ours. And one that even Jeff can cook, good for when we want comfort food and don't need haute cuisine is Tater Tot Casserole.

Some interesting-looking ground beef recipes that were in my recipezaar cookbook:

Bobotie
Pastitio
Stuffed Hamburger Roll

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I do homemade hamburger helper.

With enchilada sauce and Fritos. It's delicious.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
There are always sloppy joes and good old hamburgers.

We also will make meatballs and brown them with Worchestershire sauce, dump a can of Cream of Mushroom soup and some sliced mushrooms over them and let them stew for a while. Then we serve it over pasta with a bit of Parmesan cheese and parsley.

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Meatballs...either in a red sause or a white.

Shepards Pie...

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
My guys love when I make sloppy joe sandwiches on garlic bread.

And of course, there is always this.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
minced beef + bread crumbs + egg + chopped onions + salt&pepper
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh...shepherd's pie...*drool*

You could also make chili.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, the more I think about it the more I think Shepard's Pie is definately one to think about.

Very cheap, easy to make and has heaps of variations. You can make it with lamb mince too, if you get some, or leftover roasts (cut up and recooked in sauce). Add peas (frozen - taste just as good) or mushrooms or peppers or really whatever you want.

As I said earlier, sweet potato is great added to the topping, as are mashed swedes, turnips or pumpkin. You can make it cheesy or not depending on your preference.

And it's Yum. [Smile]

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
Hungarian Goulash: ground beef, onions, LOTS of Hungarian paprika, diced tomatoes (either canned or fresh), cooked macaroni.

A lot of times I just start tossing vegetables into the ground beef: tomatoes and summer squash mostly. Then mix in a can of condensed cheese soup and cooked macaroni.

Pima casserole: cooked ground beef, cooked black beans, frozen corn, and salsa, all mixed together. Layer in baking dish with grated monterrey jack or cheese of choice. Top with cornbread batter and bake in a 350 degree oven until the cornbread is cooked. It's still good even if you leave off the cornbread top.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
My two most interesting recipes involving hamburger are Sweet & Sour Meatballs and Chinese Heca. I can give full recipes if my descriptions sound interesting enough to you. Just let me know.

Sweet & Sour Meatballs: Kind of a Hawaiian recipe with meatballs, pineapple, and green pepper in a sweet teriyaki pineapple sauce. Served over rice.

Chinese Heca: The best way to put it is "a spring roll unwrapped on rice." Hamburger mixed with coleslaw vegetables (minus mayonaisse sauce) stir-fried with soy sauce. Served over rice. Very simple and very delicious.

Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
We eat a lot of hamburger too because we buy a whole cow from a rancher and have it butchered and usually wind up with about 70 pounds of hamburger.

The thing that I do with mine to keep it interesting is play with shapes - for instance use a meatloaf recipe but make it into oven baked meatballs instead. My kids will eat meatballs quicker than meat loaf even if it's the exact same recipe!

One thing I do on nights when it's late and I don't have time to think of anything really creative is just hamburger steak served over rice with gravy. I just shape the hamburger into patties, pan fry them in a large skillet until completely brown all the way through, add some chopped onions and gravy (just from an envelope) and then let it simmer until the gravy thickens. Serve that over rice and add a green vegetable ( my kids like broccoli)

It's really quick and cheap (I buy rice in huge bulk bags too so we eat a lot of rice!)

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
hamburger stroganoff. Yum.
Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
I make a shepherd's pie (or a "cottage pie", if you're on of the purists who insists to be a shepherd's pie it has to contain lamb) by browning ground beef with a beef bullion cube, chopped onion, corn, and about a tablespoon of cinnamon. Cover with mashed potatoes and bake for about 15 minutes at around 350 to let the flavors say howdy. Very tasty.

I've also got a good minestrone recipe, but that's a little more complicated.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
This thread is making me really hungry.
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sterling:
Cover with mashed potatoes and bake for about 15 minutes at around 350 to let the flavors say howdy.

*snort* This is a cool descriptive. [Big Grin]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dawnmaria
Member # 4142

Thanks for all the wonderful ideas! Next week might be exciting for the Hubby!
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Also, dirty rice.

My old roommate used to make giant pots full of dirty rice at least once a week. That stuff is tasty.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
No one mentioned chili?!
Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
We didn't? I thought we did. Oh, well, just in case: chili! [Big Grin]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mackillian:
Oh...shepherd's pie...*drool*

You could also make chili.

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, here are the full recipes. I'd post them on the recipe site, but I often have problems with my login there, so I think I'll post here first before trying to figure that out. [Smile]

Chinese Heca

4 c. shredded cabbage
1 c. celery
1 lb. hamburger
1 c. shredded carrots
Onion (I guess as much as you want)
1/4 c. soy sauce
1 c. water

Brown hamburger and chopped onion. Add vegetables, soy sauce, and water. Simmer until wilted. You may also add zucchini and brocolli if desired.

Tip: Use prepackaged coleslaw vegetables to save time on the cabbage and carrots.

Sweet and Sour Meatballs

1 lb. hamburger
1/4 c. cracker crumbs or dry breadcrumbs
1/4 c. dried onion flakes (you may also use 1-2 Tbsp. onion powder)
1/2 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper

Mix together. Fry in about 1/2 inch of oil or bake in oven 10-15 min. at 400 degrees. (I always bake. Healthier and easier overall. I do line my cookie sheet with aluminum foil first to make cleanup easier.)

1/4 c. sugar
2 Tbsp. corn starch
2 Tbsp. soy sauce
2 Tbsp. vinegar
1/2 c. water
1/2 c. reserved pineapple juice
1/2 c. chopped bell pepper
1 13 oz. can pineapple chunks

In frying pan, combine sugar and cornstarch. Stir in soy sauce, vinegar, water, and pineapple juice. Cook and stir constantly until it thickens and boils. Add bell pepper, pineapple, and meatballs (if your timing is right, the meatballs should be coming out of the oven right about now!). Simmer until green pepper is cooked and pineapple is warmed through. Serve over rice.

Also, did anyone mention sloppy joes?

Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
D. James Larkin
Member # 8865

- posted      Profile for D. James Larkin   Email D. James Larkin         Edit/Delete Post 
Here is a link to a site that has recipies for 1048 hamburger dishes.

www.Cooks.Com

Posts: 14 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.