FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » New Testament handed out on school grounds (updated) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: New Testament handed out on school grounds (updated)
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Public Schools have pretty strict rules about "signing-in" and wearing some sort of badge to identify yourself as an approved guest or visitor.

This is not only about safety for kids, but about CYA'ing in the event of any litigation.

Parents have to fight for the right for their kids to READ religious materials during "Free Reading" in Public Schools.

But some group of unknown, unidentified/able strangers are allowed to hand out materials?

I don't think so . . .

Just imagine the concern if some well-meaning health care/outreach worker were handing out condoms and pictorial directions for use, eh? I mean, after all, stopping the spread of HIV/AIDS is very important - and knowing how to keep yourself safe should start young so kids are comfortable with safety measures by the time they reach the discerning age of puberty, no . . . ? [Roll Eyes]

You're right, Bob - my Bible was presented to me as part of a special childhood religious ceremony. So was my son's. With family and friends nearby. Not a pack of strangers.

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, of all the Christian groups in the world, the Gideons as an organization are among the most benign, IMO. I'd rather have them handing out even a mediocre translation of the Bible, than a Chick Tract as stated previously.

How their individual members behave, in general, is supposed to be quietly and respectfuly. (Though obviously individuals are individuals too.) They are not supposed to get into confrontations, from what I know of their policy. They aren't Fred Phelps types, if anything, the direct opposite.

I'm not sure about being at an elementary school. However, in the college arena, I found that the Gideons and the LDS missionaries, were the only two groups that were respectful enough to humanity in general to bother to talk to to begin with.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
I have no problems with groups proselytzing on college campuses, or even high school IF they've received approval from the school first AND they vet the people there.

I have big problems with anyone approaching my kids in elementary or middle school and handing them anything. The fact that it's a bible is entirely besides the point, as far as I'm concerned, and has nothing to do with this issue.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Their website says they distribute at public and private schools from 5th grade on up. Every experience I have had with them, they did ask for permission through the proper channels if necessary.

AJ

They also only hand out KJV and NKJV bible translations, so if it is not one of those versions and/or doesn't have the Gideons symbol on it, it didn't come from the Gideons.

(Actually the Gideons kind of remind me of an evangelical version of the Masons.)

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
This seems stupid to me. Why the heck were these men allowed to do this? Clearly the religion has taken the stand that marketing is key to their success, and everyone knows that sex sells. It should have been handed out by scantily clad women. And Tellytubbies for little 'uns. Same goes for Mormons, someone send Hobbes a Speedo.
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Bob the Lawyer:
It should have been handed out by scantily clad women. And Tellytubbies for little 'uns. Same goes for Mormons, someone send Hobbes a Speedo.

[Eek!] (What I really want is a one-eyebrow-raised graemlin.)
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
Called the school, which said the Superintendent was in charge of it and was transferred to his office. His secretary seemed surprised, as if this was all news to her. I left a message asking him who authorized them to hand out Bibles.

Got a call back later Friday afternoon (after being told that both he and the high school principal would be in meetings all day) and he said that what happened was. . .

Apparently, the school allowed a community garage sale to take place in their parking lot. When asked if the Gideons could pass out Bibles, the first "advice" they got was that since they opened up the parking lot for one group to hold a garage sale, they had to allow other groups the same access.

At which time, I mentioned the previously mentioned 1993 case. He seemed surprised that I would know anything about that and then went on to say that he'd just come from a meeting where they got that information. They realized the original "advice" they got was wrong and the Gideons won't be allowed back.

I'm assuming that no one else will be either. But I didn't think of asking. I mean, it'll be another 4 years by the time the Gideons really need to come back since they managed to hit four years worth of kids already.

Right now, I'm hung up on the original "advice" they got. Did they take the word of the people asking for permission? Did they actually talk to their lawyers? If they talked to their lawyers, and then had to go back and revisit the issue again, how much time are these lawyers charging the taxpayers? I mean, it took me about 5 minutes to find the relevant case law, add 5 for the original phone call for the question and another 5 for the response, I don't think the school should be billed for more than 15 minutes. But I have a feeling that the original phone call took about an hour, plus God only knows how long they "researched" and another hour for the return call. Then there were two days spent in meetings about whether or not the Gideons should have been given access and how the school could/should cover it's ass. So, about 3 days worth of billing for a 15 minute question.

I should call and find out, but I just can't deal with it right now.

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been handed pamphets, but never a Bible. I could really do with a Bible.

Also, the language that these types of people use really gets on my nerves; "Jesus loves you here take my pamphlet."
"No, thank you."
"Jesus reeeeeeeeally loves you, even after refusing my pamphet. Take a pamphlet and be saved."

I'm always very polite though. I always recycle the pamphet.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Teshi, I would be happy to send you a Bible.

Actually, I'm sure there are several people here who would.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
etphonehome
Member # 999

- posted      Profile for etphonehome   Email etphonehome         Edit/Delete Post 
The Gideons show up a couple times a year at my university and hand out little green new testaments. I don't think there's any policy against it as the whole campus is open to free speech/protests/whatever. The grounds of a public primary or secondary school might be a different story. However, if they were standing across the street or even on the sidewalk outside the school there might not be anything the school administrators legally can do to stop them.
Posts: 45 | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Several question need to be answered.

Does the school have a free speech area?
Does the school restrict public access?
Were the Gideons on a public road or sidewalk or actually on school property?
Does the community have ordinances that restrict free speech in the vaccinity of the school?

I think it would be interesting to contact your local American Athiest society (or maybe Wicca) and get them to hand out pamplets next week at the same location. If the school officials try to stop them, then you have a strong lawsuit for unequal access. What's more likely is that many angry parents will contact the school demanding that this be stopped. If the community doesn't already have an ordinance that prohibits the solicitation in the vaccinity of schools, this action would likely get you one.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
Rabbit, I was told that from now on, if anyone wanted to hand out anything, they would have to be in the parkway and not on the actual school grounds. And that they shouldn't have been allowed to be where they were this time, but they were given incorrect information.
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Kayla. I still think it would be fun to get some vocal non-Christian group to come hand out literature and watch how the community reacts.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.