FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Old school Diablo fans

Author Topic: Old school Diablo fans
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
I broke out my original Diablo last night so I could test out the LC ISO creator and Magic Disc. I created a vitual drive and mounted the ISO image--much like Alcohol 120.

It worked!...and I remember my love for the original Diablo. I need help tho. In Diablo (not DiobloII), is there a way to see what is on the ground? If you hold down a key will the names of everything on the ground show up? In the game it is sometimes hard to see what has fallen in the shadows.

Thank you!

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Man, I loved Diablo. I don't remember which key it was that did that -- try going to the help bar to see all the controls.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, I don't think so. I know there was a key like that in Diablo II although I've only played it at a friend's place, but I'm pretty sure you can't do that in the first one. Sorry.
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
calaban
Member # 2516

- posted      Profile for calaban   Email calaban         Edit/Delete Post 
duping books >:} Mages own.

MMM fresh meat.

Warcraft, Diablo, Diablo II & LOD not to mention Starcraft Broodwar, Warcraft III and now WoW.

Ahhh, I blame all my wasted time on Blizzard. They made me do it.

Posts: 686 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TrapperKeeper
Member # 7680

- posted      Profile for TrapperKeeper   Email TrapperKeeper         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember moving the mouse all over the place to try and find those tiny rings that you heard drop but could never find em.

I dont think there is a key

Posts: 375 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silent E
Member # 8840

- posted      Profile for Silent E   Email Silent E         Edit/Delete Post 
There was no key to highlight items. In the stupid expansion (Hellfire) the monk character had a special ability for highlighting items, though.
Posts: 202 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

quote:
duping books >:} Mages own.

I don't get it... [Confused]

That is too bad about not having a key to see items. Grr...arrrgh. I am saying that (grr..arrgh) far to much these days. Even in real life I walk around work muttering that to myself. Weird.

Hellfire? Expansion? Never heard of it. Why was it stupid?

I heard there was a way to get unlimited mana. Was that a crack or a legitimate exploit? [Smile]

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
On Diablo II it was the tab key (or was it alt (?) gosh I just played it the other day) and it would show you all items on the ground.

I'll ask my son when he gets back on IM. We have all versions of Diablo.

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
In diablo II it is the alt key, I don't think there ever was one for old school diablo.

And calaban is referring to a bug where you could duplicate items. You could use it to get your mage to an insane number of levels for a spell, if I remember correctly.

I didn't know of the bug until after I was done playing, but I still had a mage who was insanely powerful. I only ever played single player though (played through the game dozens of times, buying elixirs by the handful).

Oh and I have recently started playing diablo II again. Its starting to suck my life away, like it always does... I had 4 characters over level 85 with some of the best gear possible when I stopped playing it last. That account expired, however, and now my gear is absolute crap [Smile] . I have a level 44 barb, a 48 necro, and a 24 paladin. On version 1.09, I had a 92 necro, an 88 paladin, an 86 sorc, and a 91 sorc. Was a lot easier to level before the new patch.

Edit: You know the one thing that is stopping me from enjoying diablo II this time around as much as last time? I don't ever play with anyone I know. Before, me and this one dude basically teamed up and did a lot of Mephisto runs together and gave eachother the gear that the other one needed. We didn't play together all the time, but it was nice to have one of us mule for the other one at times, and I got some of my best gear from him.

[ November 17, 2005, 12:30 PM: Message edited by: Xavier ]

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

Holy Cow Xavier! I only ever played until I could clean out the cow level. For some reason I have more fun leveling up in games then being powerful. At around 30 I get bored, delete, and restart. I may have to think about going further.

In Diablo one monsters don't regenerate, right? How do you level up and get uber powerful? ZI guess you just play through the game?

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I honestly hate level grinds with a passion that approaches the heat of a million burning suns.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

quote:
In Diablo one monsters don't regenerate, right? How do you level up and get uber powerful? ZI guess you just play through the game?
Yeah, in Diablo I you have the option of playing through the game again when you finish, and there's no limit to the number of times you could play through.

You don't get that much XP on each time through, but you do get craploads of gold, and as a mage you would find plenty of books.

That gold is what really allowed your character to become uber, since elixirs were only 5,000 gold each. So everytime you go back to town, get all the elixirs that are for sale. You'll max out every stat but energy pretty quick, but thats okay, since energy doesn't max until like 255. At energy 255 as a sorceror, you'll maintain an energy shield at all times with all the mana you'll have. You'll also have uber spells from all the books you'll find.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

Once you are maxed out, is there any difference between a warrior and a mage? If both have max energy, then can't they both cast spells the same? I always thought the only difference between the characters were starting stats...once you maxed, they are all the same, except for graphics.
Silent E
Member # 8840

- posted      Profile for Silent E   Email Silent E         Edit/Delete Post 
lem:"Hellfire? Expansion? Never heard of it. Why was it stupid?"

Blizzard let another company create an expansion to the first Diablo. It was called Hellfire. It added a character class (monk), a handful of new areas/quests, and the ability to run, which was the only really good idea.

The graphics were not as good as the original, the new monsters were stupid, the monk was not an innovation, and the new content did not mesh well with the old. I heard later that the company that did the expansion kept coming up with pretty good ideas, but Blizzard wouldn't let them use them because they were things they already planned for Diablo II.

Posts: 202 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

quote:
Once you are maxed out, is there any difference between a warrior and a mage? If both have max energy, then can't they both cast spells the same? I always thought the only difference between the characters were starting stats...once you maxed, they are all the same, except for graphics.
The warrior and rogue had max energy at like 55. The warrior's max stat was his strength. The rogue's was her dexterity.

But there were other differences besides their stats. For instance, the speed at which the rogue could shoot arrows was way way faster than the speed a mage could, even with equivalent stats.

Yank
Member # 2514

- posted      Profile for Yank   Email Yank         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I honestly hate level grinds with a passion that approaches the heat of a million burning suns.
Amen to that. I couldn't play either Diablo for more than a few hours before I was infected with "What's-the-point?" disease. No story, no characters, just whacking generic nasties over and over with a pointy thing so you can get more shinies. And also so you can get better at whacking nasties. So you can get better shinies. And on and on....
Posts: 1631 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.