FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Potters? Muggles?

Author Topic: Potters? Muggles?
unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

- posted      Profile for unicornwhisperer   Email unicornwhisperer         Edit/Delete Post 
So..
Fans of Star Trek are called "Trekkies"
Fans of Lord of the Rings are called "Ringers"

So what are fans of Harry Potter called? Muggles? Potters?

Posts: 1417 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sillygoose
Member # 1616

- posted      Profile for sillygoose   Email sillygoose         Edit/Delete Post 
Hm, intriguing question. I'd say start calling them whichever you prefer, and maybe it will catch on. [Smile]
Posts: 169 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

- posted      Profile for unicornwhisperer   Email unicornwhisperer         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't know about "Ringers" until I came across that DVD (see link above).
Posts: 1417 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
What are Star Wars fans called? Warries?
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sillygoose
Member # 1616

- posted      Profile for sillygoose   Email sillygoose         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah I also had never heard that term used before for LOTR fans. Weird.
Posts: 169 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sillygoose
Member # 1616

hehe warries. . . [Big Grin]
unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

I would think "Skywalkers" would be cool... I guess.
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
My friends and I always called 'em "Warsies."

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
My friends and I always self-identified as "Star Wars Freaks". It's an accepted term on TFN, too. *looks superiorly freakish*
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Warsies sounds like Gollum is the president of the fan club.

"We loves the Warsies, they are, precious, to us."

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I would have to prefer the term Muggles. I don't know. It appeals to me.

And I call myself a Star Wars Freak as well. I agree with kq

Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

Woo! OK you guys lets start the trend of "Muggles" to mean fans of Harry Potter. We can tell our grandchildren that we helped the fan term "Muggles" get in the dictionary!
lord trousers
Member # 8741

- posted      Profile for lord trousers   Email lord trousers         Edit/Delete Post 
Potheads.
Posts: 73 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jennabean
Member # 8590

- posted      Profile for jennabean   Email jennabean         Edit/Delete Post 
So many Potheads at such a young age...
Posts: 308 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I don't like using Muggles.

Technically, we're all Muggles anyway, thus misrepresenting the fan base.

What about Snitches?

Has a connotation to it, but everyone who is a fan knows what it means.

And it sounds better than calling us all Quaffles.

Princess Leah
Member # 6026

- posted      Profile for Princess Leah   Email Princess Leah         Edit/Delete Post 
Although anyone who's ever been bowled over by eager fans might find Bludgers to be apt.

<--eager fan. but not overly violent.

Posts: 866 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I like Quaffles!
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess we can't all be "Mollywobbles", can we?
Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
What do you call Star Wars fans? Dateless

What do you call Lord of the Ring Fans? People of taste.

What do you call Harry Potter fans? That ravenous horde.

(PS only people of low quality consider me a snob)

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
I kind of like Muggles for it.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

Muggles? But that's what they call the Dursley's!

And of course Muggles are people who know nothing about the magical world, while WE, on the other hand, are a part of it and if only we could get the right wand or something ... I'm sure I could get that Accio spell to work for me if I concentrate on my keys hard enough.

I guess maybe, sadly, we're Squibs.

Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, you raise a good point.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
I vote for Potheads. [Razz]

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

Well, we can always listen to the Chick tracts and call HP fans Satanists.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tern
Member # 7429

- posted      Profile for tern   Email tern         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dan_raven:
Well, we can always listen to the Chick tracts and call HP fans Satanists.

Gotta love those people, they put the fun in fundamentalist...

So how about "Rowlings". "Going to the new Hairy Potter movie?" "Yep, I'm a Rowling and proud of it!"

Posts: 561 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
Phooey! Dan_raven beat me to it again!

I was going to suggest that "geek" covers the whole lot of us.

Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
"Harrys" and "Hermiones"
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite name for enthusists is "Phans."
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
they put the fun in fundamentalist...
[ROFL] [ROFL] [ROFL] [ROFL]
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

Wait, if Star Trek fans are Trekkies, does that make us ... *drum roll* ... "Potties"?

"Going to the new movie?" "You bet, I'm such a Potty!"

Dan_raven
Member # 3383

Or we could combine the two names and create Muggers.

Am I strange, that when I see people write "HP" this or that, I think Hewlett Packard? This has left me a bit confused more than once.

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
when I see people write "HP" this or that, I think Hewlett Packard? This has left me a bit confused more than once.

Dan, nerdier than the average fan.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Does "Ringers" apply to people who love the books far more than the movies? I've always used the term "Hard Core Tolkien Geek" myself, but I agree that it's unnecessarily wordy. [Smile] What is the correct word for people who have read all the arcana and whose readings of the main canon number in the double digits? Those people who enjoy discussing the particulars of Balrog Wings and the possibilities of identification of Tom Bombadil with Manwe or Eru Illuvatar? People who study elvish languages and scripts, and know what day their birthday is in Shire Reckoning? Somehow Ringers implies for me something more along the lines of people who squeal at the sight of Dominic Monaghan. Am I off base?
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Am I strange, that when I see people write "HP" this or that, I think Hewlett Packard? This has left me a bit confused more than once.

Happens to me all the time. So yes, that makes you strange [Razz]
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
People who study elvish languages and scripts, and know what day their birthday is in Shire Reckoning?
My birthday is New Year's Day in Gondor and the same as Elanor's.

Gloating...

Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiua
Member # 7825

- posted      Profile for aiua   Email aiua         Edit/Delete Post 
I vote for MUTTS: Magically Understanding, Though Talent-less Spectators or Potheads.

Katharina, I can't believe you've disgraced the good name of phans everywhere by bringing it into the same discussion as Harry Potter. Granted, I'm not saying Harry Potter's absolute rubbish, but you just can't compare the two. Leagues apart.

Posts: 1215 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BGgurl
Member # 8541

- posted      Profile for BGgurl   Email BGgurl         Edit/Delete Post 
I usually hear Harry Potter fans being called Potheads. However, as Dan_raven suggests, I'd also vouch for Satanists since J.K. Rowling is the devil's storyteller and every last one of us is going to hell for enjoying Harry Potter (at least according to one of my neighbors)

[Evil]

Posts: 106 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Ask them.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

I always think of Hit Points.

Especially since it's usually followed by a number. For instance, "I saw HP 4 last night!"

This, in turn, makes me think Harry needs to get to a Cleric or other Divine spellcaster some time soon.

...Then again, being a Wizard, his hit dice are only d4, so maybe he's just first level with an average constitution.

Somehow, I'm not buying it.

Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.