FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Euphemism

Author Topic: Euphemism
Atlantis
Member # 8788

- posted      Profile for Atlantis   Email Atlantis         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it might be fun to post our favorite euphemisms. Personally I loved the one Jude Law used to describe an alcoholic in Closer. Instead of saying that the man was an alcoholic, he stated that “he was a convivial fellow”.

Fun stuff ^_^

Posts: 37 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite: "Excuse me, I have to use the euphemism."
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Bowles
Member # 1021

- posted      Profile for David Bowles   Email David Bowles         Edit/Delete Post 
Sanitation engineer, rather than garbage collector. Pretty sad, IMHO.
Posts: 5663 | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
[Laugh] Tante
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

I don't know that this really counts as a euphamism, but I love "the contagion of slumber assails me" in place of "I'm tired". I got this one from a Krazy Kat cartoon.

Another good one is "Disencumbered from it's earthly shroud" in place of "dug up". That one's from a 19th century paleontological paper.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
My pet peeve and sure to make someone mad: Educator instead of teacher. My dad was a teacher and proud of it. Many of the great, well, teachers of the world were teachers. Educators? Sounds like someone trying to force-feed "education" down someone's throat. Yuck. Sterile, unappealing, politically correct attempt to raise teachers out of the undeservedly low esteem in which they're held by the public. I still prefer "teacher" as a term of honor.

*getting down off soapbox*

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Bowles
Member # 1021

- posted      Profile for David Bowles   Email David Bowles         Edit/Delete Post 
Add "facilitator" to that one... as in "I facilitate learning, not teach."
Posts: 5663 | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
what if you're a bad teacher? you hinder learning?
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kama:
what if you're a bad teacher? you hinder learning?

Not to insult everyone here, because I know that it is wrong, and I do not agree with it, but back when I was in High School, the kids used to say, "Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach. Those who can't teach, teach gym."
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omega M.
Member # 7924

- posted      Profile for Omega M.           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if this is a euphemism or just a bad choice of words, but I can't stand it when a newspaper or magazine makes an error, runs a correction, and after the correction says, "Newspaper X regrets this error." They really should say "Newspaper X apologizes for this error," since they slipped up; I think when you regret something you did it means that you thought (with good reason) that it was a good idea at the time but that it turned out not to be because of something that wasn't your fault and/or couldn't have been foreseen.
Posts: 781 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
'Power cycle' for 'turn off and on again'.
'Undocumented feature' for 'bug'.
'Religion' for ... ah, never mind, I'll be good.

Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Casualties for Deaths. Death should not be casual.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heffaji
Member # 3669

- posted      Profile for Heffaji   Email Heffaji         Edit/Delete Post 
Members instead of customers. Associates instead of an employees.
Posts: 291 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
I love "hear the Cranning Call" for feeling any urgent call of nature.

Another one I like is "valetudinarian" for someone excessively concerned with his health.

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lord trousers
Member # 8741

- posted      Profile for lord trousers   Email lord trousers         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Omega M.:
I think when you regret something you did it means that you thought (with good reason) that it was a good idea at the time but that it turned out not to be because of something that wasn't your fault and/or couldn't have been foreseen.

Politicians use that language to appear to apologize while really not doing so all the time.

My latest favorite euphamism is "telephone sanitizer." It actually means "toilet cleaner."

Leave it to the Brits... [Big Grin]

Posts: 73 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
"I take full responsibility for my actions."
Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:
Not to insult everyone here, because I know that it is wrong, and I do not agree with it, but back when I was in High School, the kids used to say, "Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach. Those who can't teach, teach gym."

No, no, no Tante. It's those who can, teach. Those who can't, administrate.

And I really, really hate euphemisms. And the one I hate the most, I think, is "collateral damage", as used by the military to try to make noncombatant casualties palatable to the public.

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Originally posted by littlemissattitude:
quote:
when I was in High School, the kids used to say, "Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach. Those who can't teach, teach gym."

Perhaps that was the version in your high school. You never met our gym teachers. [Razz]
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
Any euphemism relating to death. Just say dead, died, death. I do use the word 'lost" sometimes but rarely. I find this to be the worst among other parents who have lost babies, who use such phrases as " angelversery" ( date of the baby's death), earned his wings", etc.

Dead is dead.

On a lighter note, I thing any euphamism I learned with working for The Corporation Formally Known as Kinkos to be laughable.

Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omega M.
Member # 7924

- posted      Profile for Omega M.           Edit/Delete Post 
Telephone sanitizer? Wasn't that one of the jobs of the people being deported to Earth in The Restaurant at the End of the Universe?
Posts: 781 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
Why yes, it was.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
There's a whole subclass of these language monstrosities I refer to as "euthanisms" -

soft-core language used to make the idea of killing people in relation to assisted suicide, etc. more acceptable.

Replacing terms like "suicide" or "euthanasia" - terms such as "hastening death" and "self-deliverance" are being used and promoted.

(Believe it or not, it makes a big difference when pollsters use "assisted suicide" or "hastened death" in asking questions. Recently, a major pro-assisted suicide advocacy group urged the press to abandon the term "assisted suicide" in favor of "hastened death.")

The press might actually go for it. [Grumble]

"End of life decisions" is another good one. It's not always a euphemism. OTOH, I've read journal articles lately in which "end of life decisions" were clearly defined as "decisions to end a life" (one was about disabled newborns). Not only euphemistic - it has an elegant circular logic going for it.

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

sn, you just reminded me of another; "products of conception".
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by littlemissattitude:
quote:

No, no, no!

Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach. Those who can't teach, teach teachers. [Big Grin]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Another not-exactly-a-euphamism that I've enjoyed for a long time, also from a Krazy Kat cartoon, is referring to falling asleep as "beaching upon the shore of snores". I really like the fun that George Herriman was willing to have with the language in his strips.
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Any euphemism relating to death. Just say dead, died, death. I do use the word 'lost" sometimes but rarely. I find this to be the worst among other parents who have lost babies, who use such phrases as " angelversery" ( date of the baby's death), earned his wings", etc.
This is really interesting. I met a woman this week who said that her 4 year old daughter drowned. It was so baldly stated that I actually didn't understand her at first. Yes, drowned as in dead, and is no longer living. I'm so used to the euphamisms that said starkly, it functioned to hinder communication instead of enhance it. How strange, eh?
Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Princess Leah
Member # 6026

- posted      Profile for Princess Leah   Email Princess Leah         Edit/Delete Post 
"Mode execute ready" to replace the old "action standby" which replaced the appallingly stone age "off".

to vageuly paraphrase Douglas Adams in (I think) SLaTfAtF. Which I don't have with me right now.

Posts: 866 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by King of Men:
'Religion' for ... ah, never mind, I'll be good.

[ROFL]
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
"I need to see a man about a dog"
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Atlantis
Member # 8788

- posted      Profile for Atlantis   Email Atlantis         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a bunch to replace "Go to the toilet".

Answer the call of nature, be excused, check on the scones, do the necessary, ease yourself, explore the geopgraphy of the house, find a haven of refuge, freshen up, go into retreat, go to Egypt, go to the library, go to your private office, lay some cable, mail a letter, pay a visit to your uncle, pick a rose, powder your nose, relieve yourself, see a man about a horse, see your aunt, shoot a dog, shoot a lion, use the cloakroom, use the facilities, visit Sir John, visit the bathroom, viisit the old soldiers' home, wash your hands.

The list will never end...

Posts: 37 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
This thread reminds me of a completely inappropriate song by Henry Phillips. But I won't go into that.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
use the cloakroom
I actually had a hard time locating toilets in one of the department stores in Scotland cause they were called cloakrooms.
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate the euphamisms for death. My mother did not pass on, go to the next life, or stop being around. She died. It did startle people sometimes. At least I never used adverbs.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
tap a kidney
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Euphemism
Turkey in a Crockpot?

Okay, so what's a "turkey in a crockpot" a euphemism for?

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

OK, aspectre, I give up. What is it a euphemism for?
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

Oh, never mind, just saw the thread elsewhere. *gets it now* *she thinks*

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.