FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I really don't know what to make of this...

Author Topic: I really don't know what to make of this...
KetchupPrinceConsort
Member # 8047

- posted      Profile for KetchupPrinceConsort   Email KetchupPrinceConsort         Edit/Delete Post 
I received an email from Pacific Fish Processing Co, Ltd (which is a real company)based in Thailand.

"It is upon this note that we are writing you this mail to seek your assistance
in representing our company in your locality as our distributor/Receiving.Note
that as a distributor of our company,You will be entitled to a basic salary of
48,000USD a year.That is 4,000 dollars monthly and 5% of any amount you receive
from customers on behalf of the company as payments for outstanding debts or
goods that they are wanting to buy.

As a distributor/Receiving officer of our company,your basic functions are as
follows
1 Maintenance of a sales office.The company will be responsible for the cost
2 Assume responsibility for all sales office
3 Lastly,contacting clients on behalf of the company who are ready to make
payments or wanting to pay for products they purchase from the company."

Surely, this is a spoof even though I have my resume posted on job sites, right? If anyone has any insight into this, please let me know.

Posts: 137 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
That's...strange. If that's real, would they want you to move to Thailand? Or do they have US sales offices?

I'd be suspicious too, but it might be worth inquiring further - with extreme caution, then immediately running if they try to con any money/personal info out of you.

Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd inquire further before assuming its a hoax.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
I think you could make hat or a brooch or a pterodactyl...
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
All I'm saying is, if it turns out to not be some kind of scam and you take the job... Could you hook me up with some halibut?

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
Spells like a hoax. By that, I mean the grammar is bad enough I would assume its a hoax immediately. Among other reasons, even if it were real, I wouldn't work for an employer whose business offer was so poorly written.
Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Contact them if you want, but I'd bet (a small sum of) money that you quickly learn of a need to send them money in order to secure the position [Smile] .

It reads like a classic 409 setup.

Silly typo; 419

[ November 19, 2005, 11:53 AM: Message edited by: fugu13 ]

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Jeff is going to see if there's a contact e-mail on the website and ask if they can verify this e-mail. At least, I think he is.

That's what we talked about in the car. (Among other things. [Wink] )

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
human_2.0
Member # 6006

- posted      Profile for human_2.0   Email human_2.0         Edit/Delete Post 
Fake:

http://www.419baiter.com/_scam_emails/419_emails_09-05_5.html

http://www.joewein.de/sw/419rep-0508.htm

"It is upon this note that we are writing you this mail to seek your assistance in representing our company in your locality as our distributor/Receiving."

I don't know who writes this stuff. I'm starting to think it is the same person. It has the same bad langauge. I bet if someone did a language usage test on all the spam, it would turn out there is probably only a dozen different people in the world writing all billion spam emails... stupid guess, but really, it all sounds so similar.

First thing that struck me about the content of the message is that they want you to do receiving. There are many out there recruiting innocent "mules".

Posts: 1209 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
He contacted the e-mails on the website and got two returned undeliverable. So yeah, gonna trash it.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
On some of the telephone poles around here there are flyers promising amazing job offers. "Earn $4500/mo at home in your spare time" "Up to $1250/week working at home. No Exp. Needed!"

No one takes such recruiting seriously.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Curse you, Megan, for stealing my joke!

[Mad]

*shakes fist*

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]

I do what I can.

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.