FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » In case we were in any doubt as to who "R.A.B." was (*SPOILERS*)

Author Topic: In case we were in any doubt as to who "R.A.B." was (*SPOILERS*)
Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
I just read that the Dutch version of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince was published, and the initials in the locket were "R.A.Z." instead. Sirius Black's name was translated in Dutch as "Zwarts" (which is just funny all by itself). Thus we have positive proof. But I knew all along, and I felt really smart when I found the proper locket.

R.A.B.

Jen

Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, my dad and I figured it out together... I was also really proud! [Big Grin]
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samarkand
Member # 8379

- posted      Profile for Samarkand   Email Samarkand         Edit/Delete Post 
Dutch for Black is Zwarts? Does the B sound normally move to a Z in English to Dutch translation? I happen to agree with the RAB/ heavy locket in Book 5 idea, but I wonder if the Dutch translation make it quite so obvious.
Posts: 471 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
Heh, that's cool.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know that it's any more obvious in the Dutch version than in the English version; in comparison, though, it's pretty obvious. [Smile]
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
In German, Black is Schwartz. Dutch has some similar sounds. *Guesses that in the German version, the initials would be R.A.S.*
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
So, you are saying that the note was left by Sirius? What is his real name if not Sirius? Or is it a relative of Siruis's? I'm so darned confused.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
SteveR, R.A.B is Regulus Black, Sirius's younger brother who was a death eater and killed.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalD
Member # 6222

- posted      Profile for GaalD   Email GaalD         Edit/Delete Post 
and "killed".
Posts: 853 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalD
Member # 6222

And is it possible that Regulus is a girl or is Regulus ever referred to as a "he"?
Posts: 853 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Sirius refers to him as his brother, so I really don't think there's any doubt as to his gender.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Why would it matter Jaime? But yeah Sirius said brother multiple times.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalD
Member # 6222

No reason, just wondering.
Silkie
Member # 8853

- posted      Profile for Silkie   Email Silkie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Samarkand:
Dutch for Black is Zwarts? Does the B sound normally move to a Z in English to Dutch translation? I happen to agree with the RAB/ heavy locket in Book 5 idea, but I wonder if the Dutch translation make it quite so obvious.

[The Wave] C [Kiss] L!

In Book 5, huh! [Eek!] Looks like I need to read that one again!

Thanks for the tip off!

Posts: 337 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

Books five and six. Book five it mentions it, but never mentions RAB, or why we need to know, and in book six we make guesses, and yes to read a spoiler thread you should have read it, but if it doesn't bother you, oh well.
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
So, Siruis's brother snatched the Horcrux? Is that what we are assuming?
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

Yeah, but we don't know why, maybe he wasn't a deatheater, maybe he knew it was a horcrux, maybe something weird.
Fyfe
Member # 937

And also Book 5 mentions that Harry and the Weasleys find a heavy locket in Grimmauld Place (the ancestral Black home), which I noticed all on my own and felt very clever about. So we're pretty sure it's Regulus.

Jen

Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Oooh, Fyfe, I didn't pick up on that!! Good one!
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lord trousers
Member # 8741

- posted      Profile for lord trousers   Email lord trousers         Edit/Delete Post 
It could also be Sirius's uncle Alphard, if Alphard went by his middle name.
Posts: 73 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Princess Leah
Member # 6026

- posted      Profile for Princess Leah   Email Princess Leah         Edit/Delete Post 
Nah, he's barely mentioned, and Regulus is known to have been (or pretended to be) a Death Eater who was supposedly killed by Voldemorte, or rather one of his henchmen. He made him angry! And if Regulus was powerful enough to get through the hiding place that nearly killed Dumbledore (not to mention how powerful Sirius was), Voldemorte might have been afraid to face him...
Posts: 866 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fyfe
Member # 937

And also, Book 6 mentioned Regulus a lot. Considering how minor a character he appears to be, his name comes up a surprising amount in a book that doesn't have him or even his brother in it. So.

Jen

lord trousers
Member # 8741

- posted      Profile for lord trousers   Email lord trousers         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't say it is Alphard, I just said it's a possibility. That is, it is if Alphard also had the last name "Black," which isn't clear from the text.

I put him at a low probability for the same reasons you two cited.

Posts: 73 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

More proof that Regulus is R.A.B.

quote:
JK Rowling: We are back to me being a murderer, aren't we? People have asked me this a lot. I have been repeatedly told Sirius was my favourite character, why did he have to die? You can imagine how bad that makes me feel and in fact after I killed Sirius I went on the Internet and somehow stumbled across a fansite devoted entirely to Sirius and I killed him in the last 48 hours, so that wasn't good.

I think you will realise why he had to go in terms of plot when you read the seventh book. It wasn't arbitrary although part of the answer is the one I have given before. It is more satisfying I think for the reader if the hero has to go on alone and to give him too much support makes his job too easy, sorry.

Emphasis mine.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, 'cause if Sirius was around he could just say, "Oh, yeah, that was my brother. One night he came home with a big heavey locket and..." or whatever.

Still, I think it might be tedious to read book 7 if we have to wait too long for Harry to figure out what we already know.

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

Oh, I think the whole introduction of R.A.B. was a cheap plot device. Which has, you know, no effect whatsoever on the amount of time I spend combing the internet reading HP theories.
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

but we love you anyway dear

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.