FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Indiana Hatrackers

Author Topic: Indiana Hatrackers
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Wednesday, I shall be gracing South Bend with my presence. [Smile]

Anyone wanna hang out?

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually...

I'm going up to South Bend Wednesday night. What time do you think you'll be in town?

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

I think 3. I think I'm taking a train, which will be a new experience. If anyone wants to help me understand trains, be my guest.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aerto
Member # 8810

- posted      Profile for Aerto   Email Aerto         Edit/Delete Post 
They run on tracks. Exhausted my knowledge.
Posts: 102 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Trains are simple. You arrive a bit early, you board them, and when you reach your destination, you get off. If you can't sleep on a plane/in a car, then you won't be able to sleep on a train, so if you're not planning on sleeping or can't, bring something to do.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
And they move fast (usually) LOL. Are you taking Amtrak from Union Station?
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

The train I picked runs from a station on Randolph Street, apparently. I picked it because it is apparently near Millennium Park, and I was there on Friday. All of the other stations seem to be in areas with which I am completely unfamiliar. I think it might be Amtrak, but I'm not sure.

Oh, and I'm definitely bringing books, my laptop, and some movies. [Smile]

-pH

smitty
Member # 8855

- posted      Profile for smitty   Email smitty         Edit/Delete Post 
Where are all you from, since pH is just visiting the Bend? I'm from Bloomfield, but have a good friend who has family up there - actually going to visit this weekend
Posts: 880 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
I won't be able to be in South Bend, unfortunately. [Frown] I'll be in Bloomington, and I'll just have gotten there so I can't very well leave. Also, I'll have a friend at home with me. But I hope you have a great time, and I hope I get to meet you at a later date!
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dante
Member # 1106

- posted      Profile for Dante           Edit/Delete Post 
I knew it was only a matter of time until you came looking for me. "For suns are bound by mutual gravity..."

Which is to say, I live in South Bend and would be happy to see you. Feel free to drop me an e-mail if you'd like, and I'll give you my cell number.

Are you taking the South Shore line? It starts at Randolph street in Chicago and ends up at the South Bend Regional Airport. You can find out more here. So, yeah, let me know if you have any questions, and shoot me an e-mail.

Posts: 1068 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I love the South Shore!!! If that's what you're taking. Don't drink the water on the train though, at least that's my experience, it tastes nasty and is room temperature or warmer. This will add to your midwest experience for the year.

I have relatives in South Bend, but they'll be on their way to Hartford City to see me at my grandma's.

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow... it took a moment or two after I clicked on this thread for me to realize that I'm not an Indiana hatracker anymore o_O
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
but won't you be in Indiana on Wednesday? or at least thursday?
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

I am indeed taking the South Shore line, it seems. But according to their website, they don't take credit cards?

Dante, you've got mail.

-pH

Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
but won't you be in Indiana on Wednesday? or at least thursday?
I get back very late wednesday... and am immediately gonna start LANning :-D

But yeah, I'll be back for thanksgiving.

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

Yeah I remember that, they didn't take my grandma's credit card, so mom just paid it.
kyrie
Member # 6415

- posted      Profile for kyrie   Email kyrie         Edit/Delete Post 
-Alcon: you still count as an Indiana hatracker, infact you count as a hatracker of two different states (like me:D).
Posts: 264 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

quote:
Originally posted by smitty:
Where are all you from, since pH is just visiting the Bend? I'm from Bloomfield, but have a good friend who has family up there - actually going to visit this weekend

You're from Bloomfield! Wow, small world. My grandparents live there and my dad grew up there. If your older (in your 40s or 50s) and grew up there you might know him. Heck, if you're younger and your parents grew up there, they might know him. We live in Bloomington now, and I go to Purdue.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dante
Member # 1106

- posted      Profile for Dante           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Wow... it took a moment or two after I clicked on this thread for me to realize that I'm not an Indiana hatracker anymore
I'm just the opposite; it took me a moment or two to realize that this thread applied to me.
Posts: 1068 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty
Member # 8855

Nope, just hit 30 this year, and I'm originally from "Dresdon", which is just a pothole around Owensburg, which most people don't know, either. I don't know too many Bloomfielders, except through work.

You're from Bloomington, and going to Purdue? I wasn't that brave...

Posts: 880 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

Alcon, I hope you won't be LANning the WHOLE time, I'd like to see you!
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theaca
Member # 8325

- posted      Profile for Theaca   Email Theaca         Edit/Delete Post 
Of course I just LEFT South Bend. Funny how that works.
Posts: 1014 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
psst...Raia...while you're in town, we should grab some Esan Thai. [Big Grin]
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

Smitty, where do you work? Oh and I'm from the very west side of bloomington (like as in right off 45 four miles from the county line). Also, I know where Owensburg is, but not Dresdon.
Raia
Member # 4700

Aaah we should!! It's a date!
blacwolve
Member # 2972

quote:
Originally posted by smitty:
Nope, just hit 30 this year, and I'm originally from "Dresdon", which is just a pothole around Owensburg, which most people don't know, either. I don't know too many Bloomfielders, except through work.

You're from Bloomington, and going to Purdue? I wasn't that brave...

Ah, do you work at Crane then? (I'm trying to think of reasons why someone not from Bloomfield would move there, it's not exactly a haven of industrial growth)

As I tell anyone who asks, Purdue gave me money, IU didn't. Also, I don't really pay any attention to sports, so if anyone starts ribbing me about sports rivalries I just sort of ask innocently what the heck they're talking about. I do sort of wish I had gone to IU though, better Liberal Arts school.

Raia
Member # 4700

You should come here. [Smile]
pH
Member # 1350

Here's the deal, for me:

I'm getting in to South Bend at 4. My friend Rin, her husband, Dante, and I are going to see Harry Potter that evening. If anyone wants to come, email me at yourprecious at gmail.

I'll be in South Bend until 1pm Friday, when I will take a train back to Chicago...and then probably go to Naperville for the weekend.

-pH

breyerchic04
Member # 6423

Awesome pH, sadly it's too far and I'm busy. Though I won't be that far away even.

Just in case she reads this, Space Opera, you aren't going to your inlaws for christmas or thanksgiving are you? Because if so, I'll meet you guys at some point.

smitty
Member # 8855

I work at the REMC in Bloomfield - breyerchic, you may be on our lines, being that close to county line. If so, please don't hate me, whatever it is, it's probably not my fault. Just because I have a lot of responsibility doesn't mean I have much authority.

Dresdon used to be a RR stop, back in the old days. It's mostly a bump in the road between Owensburg and Koleen, which just a curve in the road between Owensburg and Bloomfield.

blacwolve, I understand totally. I had three options for engineering - Rose, Purdue, and Indiana Institute of Tech (IIT, not ITT), and only IIT ponied up the cash. Of course, I was told not to bother coming home if I went to Purdue...

breyerchic04
Member # 6423

Hehe yeah I'm on your lines, and it's not "your" fault, but 4 days in july of 04 with no electricity when I needed to be sewing and typing was bad. [Wink]

Well there are a ton of jatraqueros around here if you ever wanna get together.

blacwolve
Member # 2972

Yea, if you ever want to meet during the spring and summer I'm in Bloomfield a lot. Which is good, because it'll probably take until spring or summer for you to be confident I'm not a crzy serial killer.
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

I'm not totally confident of that one, and I've known you really well for like 6 years. I'm not totally confident I'm not a crazy serial killer. [Wink]
smitty
Member # 8855

I think anyone from Greene County is likely at least crazy. I think I rememeber the July 04 storm - had to put in a lot of unpaid overtime on that one. Didn't realize there would be many "jatraqueros" around here. Yeah, we'll have to meet sometime once the crazy holidays die down. Maybe if I can even convince my wife to read at least a couple of the books....
smitty
Member # 8855

Oh, by the way, the South Bend trip was AWESOME - met my best friend's fiance, and hung out with his huge family, then watched the ND game... plus tossed back a few pints between us. Then went and watched the Colts kick the heck out of the Steelers! What a great holiday weekend! (plus a few days of course, had to take Tuesday off to recover from Monday)

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.