FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » TiP??

Author Topic: TiP??
Shawshank
Member # 8453

- posted      Profile for Shawshank   Email Shawshank         Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone other than me ever participated in or ever heard of Duke TiP?

Just wondering- Hatrack seems like such a good place to find fellow TiPsters...

Posts: 980 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiua
Member # 7825

- posted      Profile for aiua   Email aiua         Edit/Delete Post 
Nope, sorry. What is it?
Posts: 1215 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shawshank
Member # 8453

TiP- Talent Identification program

Run by its own organization in affiliation with Duke. Allows 7th graders to take part in the ACT and SAT tests- may even allow 4th and 5th graders, not sure, or at least those students who show a gifted aptitude for learning.

If they do well on either one of those tests- they are reinvited later to take part in a 3 week summer program where you live on a college campus- in a dorm room with a roommate. You take 108 hours of course work (my local high school is 125 hours throughout the school year per course) in an advanced topic of your choice (I did JAVA for Videogames and International Relations)

It's offered in like 16 different states- mostly the southeast- if any of you parents think your child may be elgible I would highly recommend checking it out. I'm a recent graduate of it, and it was my last year possible: summer between 10-11th grade, and it's been one of the best experiences of my life.

Posts: 980 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I can see how Java would be useful for videogames, but how does it affect international relations?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
Clearly you're not advanced enough for that topic. [Wink]

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ambyr
Member # 7616

- posted      Profile for ambyr           Edit/Delete Post 
Check out the JHU SET mailing list over at http://cty.jhu.edu/set/ -- lots of TIP people there.
Posts: 650 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
I did TIP. I liked it a lot.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I know a few people who did, but I'm not totally sure.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Princess Leah
Member # 6026

- posted      Profile for Princess Leah   Email Princess Leah         Edit/Delete Post 
This sounds like the Johns Hopkins talent search, which I guess is the northwest equivalent.

I qualified but wasn't really interested in anything they had to offer. As I recall it was pretty science-oriented. Not surprising since it's Johns Hopkins.

Posts: 866 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, aside from the classes (I took something about Roman History one year and social psychology another year, I think) the social aspect was great, as I'd never been a very social creature in my life. It kind of helped me learn how to interact with people and make friends.

And I held hands with a boy for the first time there. [Blushing] It was really cute.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shawshank
Member # 8453

That's great pH.

The social atmosphere really is great- that's the best part.

mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I did tip. Sorta. Took the test and all and then parents said no to the summer program.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
I also know it as CTY. My sister did that for years. I really wanted to, but I had to choose between that and backpacking camp. Backpacking camp won.
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parsimony
Member # 8140

- posted      Profile for Parsimony           Edit/Delete Post 
I participated in the Johns Hopkins equivalent, lo those many years ago. I scored very high, and received a scholarship to a school in my area of PA that was good for taking a few college courses during your high school years.

Unfortunately, the only time I had spare time to take those classes, they weren't offering anything worth taking. So I can't say that I got much out of the program.

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 367 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I did the testing, but nothing further.

Although I think the testing mighta got me into Carolina Summer, which I thoroughly enjoyed.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pelegius
Member # 7868

- posted      Profile for Pelegius           Edit/Delete Post 
Both me and my sister participated, no permanent damage was sustained.
Posts: 1332 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
My son did Duke TiP.

But... he's not a Hatracker. My daughter is a Hatracker, but she chose to not go to the TiP program...

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shawshank
Member # 8453

That seems like how the world would work....

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.