FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Serenity is still in theaters, you know

Author Topic: Serenity is still in theaters, you know
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Check out imdb's theater list for Serenity for tomorrow. There's still a chance to see it if you haven't, or see it again if 7 times just weren't enough. There's one near central Florida; I'm seriously considering a Thanksgiving night movie...
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grisha
Member # 6871

- posted      Profile for Grisha   Email Grisha         Edit/Delete Post 
it is?! cool, i hope one is near here.

<goes to check list>

Posts: 376 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grisha
Member # 6871

- posted      Profile for Grisha   Email Grisha         Edit/Delete Post 
nope, nearest is in lexington, but hey, i'm going to harry potter tomarrow.
Posts: 376 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeni
Member # 1454

- posted      Profile for Jeni   Email Jeni         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Chris, I didn't realize it was still playing. There's a place near me, so I think I'll go one more time.
Posts: 4292 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Either it's not playing in Canada, or imdb is perpetuating the "US is the centre of the world" stereotype...
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
You mean it isn't? (ducks)
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalD
Member # 6222

- posted      Profile for GaalD   Email GaalD         Edit/Delete Post 
Any chance for a sequal Chris? I haven't been keeping up with the news so sorry if it's been answered already...
Posts: 853 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
airmanfour
Member # 6111

- posted      Profile for airmanfour           Edit/Delete Post 
We are the center of the world, and more importantly, we made spelling better.
Posts: 1156 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

Hevn't heard a peep. The movie cost $40 mil and it's made, more or less, $38-39 mil so far worldwide. If DVD sales and rentals are impressive enough there's always the possibility but I would think they'd have to be pretty darned impressive.

There's also original novels coming out next year from Pocket Books, and Joss has announced another Firefly comic book series, so it'll live on one way or another. Here's hoping.

Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Is that a hint, Chris?
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eldrad
Member # 8578

- posted      Profile for Eldrad           Edit/Delete Post 
I doubt a second movie will be made; the execs said that it would have to make at least $80 million worldwide in theaters for them to consider the possibility. They probably won't go off DVD sales, either, given that that was the reason this one was made in the first place. The first was kind of a gamble for them, since the name and the actors involved were relatively unknown; another gamble when the first one didn't really pan out (though I truly hope DVD sales skyrocket for the movie; December 20, I'm looking at you) is pretty unlikely in an industry where it's getting more and more expensive to make hit films. I don't think I could possibly be happier to be proven wrong, though...
Posts: 143 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalD
Member # 6222

- posted      Profile for GaalD   Email GaalD         Edit/Delete Post 
"the execs said that it would have to make at least $80 million worldwide in theaters for them to consider the possibility"

I heard that an $80 million mark would guarentee a second movie, not make them consider it. If the movie did make $80 mil then I think Uni would be pretty stupid not to make a second.

Posts: 853 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

There have been movies that have underperformed and still gotten sequels (like, say, Chronicles of Riddick) but usually it's because someone powerful wants it made (like, say, Chronicles of Riddick). Serenity got started because the studio wanted Whedon and Whedon wanted Serenity. The DVD sales just helped them greenlight it faster. If Wonder Woman does fantastic Joss might have the weight to get another Serenity movie, but that's a few years down the road.

Won't be seeing it tonight - found out my eldest hasn't seen Harry Potter yet so we'll be seeing that tonight. But Friday night? Hmm...

Icarus
Member # 3162

Friday, you say?
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Bridges:
There have been movies that have underperformed and still gotten sequels (like, say, Chronicles of Riddick) but usually it's because someone powerful wants it made (like, say, Chronicles of Riddick).

Yeah, you know. I gotta throw my weight around every once in a while to get more quality Vin Diesel action. Yeah, my people called their people, and our people all did lunch, and thus, my bidding was done. [Cool]

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Damn you.

[Mad]

pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
My next Hollywood project: Vin Diesel, Cillian Murphy, and Colin Farrell nudity. All in one movie.

Quality cinema, I tell you. Quality cinema.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Not a bad idea.

If it's all contained in just one movie I can just stay the hell away from it.

Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

Ic, Friday night looks good, at least for me and my son. It's at 9:55 p.m, at Touchstar Cinemas, 303 E. Altamonte Drive, Altamonte Springs, FL 32701, 407-888-2228. I'll prolly shoot to be there around 9:30, and I'll post here if anything changes about that.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I bet if they played it in China it'ld make 50 mil, think about it, Harry Potter made 120 million Yuan in the first 2 weeks (which I think is about 30 million dollars US).
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Sounds do-able. [Smile]
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I still want to see Serenity.

I still can't get anyone to go see it with me.

I hate going to see movies by myself.

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrMojoDriver
Member # 8852

- posted      Profile for MrMojoDriver   Email MrMojoDriver         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:
I bet if they played it in China it'ld make 50 mil, think about it, Harry Potter made 120 million Yuan in the first 2 weeks (which I think is about 30 million dollars US).

Not enough chinese in the movie, but the series is another story
Posts: 42 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry: I saw it, I liked it, but the logistics behind seeing a movie these days (have a 2 1/2 year-old) makes seeing the same movie in a theater multiple times pretty much unthinkable.
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, the other day SciFi channel was having a Firefly marathon and I watched my first episode all the way through.

It was the one where Jayne gets his goofy hat and they pick up a body of an old war buddy of Mal and Zoe's.

I have to admit - that was a very good show. One of the best hours of television I've seen.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Oh Belle, if you haven't given it a chance, you really need to borrow the DVDs and watch them in order.

(And not let the first one scare you off, if it doesn't do it for you.)

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.