FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I think we need to organize a protest march on Hollywood

Author Topic: I think we need to organize a protest march on Hollywood
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
Because whoever thought that a movie based on Dead or Alive would be worth making needs to be told otherwise in a fairly forceful manner.

*edited for clarity [Blushing]

[ November 24, 2005, 12:53 AM: Message edited by: Boris ]

Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steev
Member # 6805

- posted      Profile for Steev           Edit/Delete Post 
Another very popular forum that I frequent would completely disagree with you. It's clear that you are obviously not the intended demographic for that movie.

Oh, and I agree with you too.

Posts: 527 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MandyM
Member # 8375

- posted      Profile for MandyM   Email MandyM         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought we already HAD 2 Charlie's Angels movies.
Posts: 1319 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
OK. I've never been to Hollywood.

<goes hunting for the movie star sunglasses>

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J T Stryker
Member # 6300

- posted      Profile for J T Stryker   Email J T Stryker         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm as bad of an idea as it sounds... I think I'll still go see it...
Posts: 1094 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
Hollywood is so uncreative. Pretty much every movie lately has been based off of a book, a video game, or it is a remake of an older movie. There are so few original movies now.
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah. Like we needed yet another remake of "Pride and Prejudice".
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrMojoDriver
Member # 8852

- posted      Profile for MrMojoDriver   Email MrMojoDriver         Edit/Delete Post 
Amen Tante, I thought the first Ms. Havershim was bad enough (stupid honors English, had to read the book AND watch the stupid movie. Atleast my teacher was liberal enough to let us sleep)
Posts: 42 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

I'm pretty sure that Mrs. Haversham is from Dicken's "Great Expectations", not Austin's "Pride and Prejudice".

Or maybe that's what you meant? [Confused]

the_Somalian
Member # 6688

- posted      Profile for the_Somalian   Email the_Somalian         Edit/Delete Post 
This is cute since a fair number of studio executives have acknowledged that the constant stream of derivative material is the probably the leading cause of the recent box-office-slump. I think the popularity of the DVD may be another, but in my opinion the masses have realized that movies just in general don't surprise and delight as they once did and thus don't bother with the hassle of going to the theater. Perhaps a protest is indeed necessary....a protest for quality.
Posts: 722 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Funny, I've gone to the theater more often in the past 6 months than I have in the past.

Not that the movies have gotten any better.

Personally, I think CG killed the movies. Directors start to depend on it instead of on good acting or stories.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
calaban
Member # 2516

- posted      Profile for calaban   Email calaban         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL] There is nothing like a good laugh to start your day. Was I hallucinating or did they actually have a stunt in that trailer where the actress uses her bra as a weapon, throws it in the air and puts it back on without her hands. I think the funniest spoofs are unintended.
Posts: 686 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by calaban:
[ROFL] There is nothing like a good laugh to start your day. Was I hallucinating or did they actually have a stunt in that trailer where the actress uses her bra as a weapon, throws it in the air and puts it back on without her hands. I think the funniest spoofs are unintended.

Nope, you were right about the bra part. [ROFL] That said, I don't think I'm going to see this movie. Got better things to do, and as MandyM said, we already had 2 Charlie's Angels...
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
So is the Dead or Alive that this movie is based on a game?
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Uprooted:
So is the Dead or Alive that this movie is based on a game?

Yeah. It's a fighting game, like Mortal Kombat or Street Fighter, or Tekken, or whatever. Generally, movies based on fighting games are doomed to failure because fighting games have all the plot of a limp spaghetti noodle.
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
Hm. Are we doing a protest march or starting the revolution? Because for the protest we'll need some big steel barrels with fire inside and signs, but for a revolution we'll need berets, pitchforks, and possibly Melba toast.
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tmservo
Member # 8552

- posted      Profile for tmservo   Email tmservo         Edit/Delete Post 
And even games with a decent plot make terrible movies (see: Wing Commander); and great games with good plot will never make a film (Gabriel Knight, as an example) because they are attractive to an audience too small.
Posts: 202 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.