FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I need bad javelin jokes

Author Topic: I need bad javelin jokes
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
bad javelin joke
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Believe it or not, I actually read the link to this dobie. [Roll Eyes] And I have to say, it made me giggle becuase it's a classic example of dry, humorless writing about humor. There is just something hilarious about the explanation of why that gruesome joke was not funny! OK, so I'm weird, but really, does this make anyone else laugh?:

quote:
First, a person with a javelin through their head would hardly be concerned about their inability to turn around in doorways. The moral principle here is that people should be concerned with things that are important, and not bother about irrelevancies.

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeap, totally made me laugh. Talk about missing the point of the joke! [Roll Eyes] I'd write something like this with the intention for the text to be seen as funny! But to take it seriously?! Oh, come on!
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
Er, no. He was explaining why most people don't find the joke funny. This is a paper that describes a theory of humor, and that was just one of the jokes that was analyzed using the theory. It's an interesting paper, if you like reading scholarly works.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
calaban
Member # 2516

- posted      Profile for calaban   Email calaban         Edit/Delete Post 
"The Moral Principle" Ha. Not that I find the joke humorous, there are always bad jokes.

Perhaps "The Moral Principle" is not to be looking for "The Moral Principle". If you're looking for a moral principle in humor you're hopeless. Humor is an emotion, I love the feeling of an emotionally charged disencumbering laugh out loud.

Maybe theory is used to explain emotions that can't be felt by those trying to explain it. The guy who wrote that takes himself way to seriously.

Posts: 686 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

Now, for a good example of writing about humor, OSC's current "Are Mormons Funny?" essay made me snort in several places--not "at" him but "with" him! And the thing that works about it is his understanding that you really can't write about what is funny and what isn't unless you are . . . well, funny. Which I'm not so I'll quit while I'm ahead! ;-)
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
All of you are missing the point.

Get it? point? Javelin?

Oh, please, spear me the morality. Lance this hurorless boil and just chuck the whole thing.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I was wondering when someone would just let fly in here.
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Dan, I don't think people got your jokes, not by a long shot.
Uprooted
Member # 8353

Let's not discuss this any further. Just makes me want to hurl.
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

You won't go far with an attitude like that. Just chuck it out there, I say.
punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought Dan's observations were rather pointed and on target.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Bad Javelin Joke

A guy in a bar was telling a few jokes to his friends.

He asked them "In the Parolympics, which sport is this...", mimicking the throwing of a javelin, which was of course the answer.

Then he said "which sport is this...", mimicking throwing a shot put, which again was the somewhat obvious answer.

For his next sport, he simply hit his head with the flat of his hand repeatedy. The answer... Hurdles!

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Bad Javelin Joke

Q. How is playing a bagpipe like throwing a javelin blindfolded?
A. You don't have to be very good to get people's attention.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
A person with such an injury certainly has more important things on her mind than this particular inability
Or perhaps in her mind.
Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, makes you wonder what's going through her head at that point.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lord trousers
Member # 8741

- posted      Profile for lord trousers   Email lord trousers         Edit/Delete Post 
Or rather, what point was going through her head.
Posts: 73 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
You can bet she was surprised. Such a thing had never entered her head before.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dantesparadigm
Member # 8756

- posted      Profile for dantesparadigm           Edit/Delete Post 
Who would throw a javelin at a nun? That's not funny at all, that's just cruel. Unless she tripped and accidently impaled herself on the javelin, then it would be funny.
Posts: 959 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
<--- Proudly throws javelins at nuns.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never thrown a javelin at anyone, much less a nun, but I've been known to crosss words with a few.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Lawn darts at acolytes is about as far as I've ever gotten, but then, I'm trying to set a good example in the community.
Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
(Hi, Mel!)

This was a really great paper. Maybe I'll find some exception to the principle he has of what makes things funny, but I can't just now. The competing theories he lists, I can easily find exceptions to.

The other cool thing is that when I thought of things that matched his setup of what makes something funny . . . they were funny! Not wildly so, but I could see them being inherently funny situations.

Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
"Who would throw a javelin at a nun?"

Someone who would throw one at a senior citizen? Be careful of what you ask for, cuz ya really do not want to see this.
And no, I'm not kidding about not wanting to see it. So you've been warned.

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dantesparadigm
Member # 8756

- posted      Profile for dantesparadigm           Edit/Delete Post 
What was the guy doing standing in the middle of a javelin range. I believe he deserves a Darwin award for that.
Posts: 959 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
He didn't die, so he doesn't qualify. Wouldn't have linked to it if he had.
He's a field judge assigned the task of marking how far a toss had travelled, who misjudged the distance that particular javelin was going to fly from shorter throws earlier in the track&field meet.

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
That's messed up.
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.