FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Novel titles that might not work (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Novel titles that might not work
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
As NaNoWriMo draws to a close, I thought it would be helpful to provide titles for people to avoid. Feel free to add your own to the list:

The lighter side of slavery

Fastener Fascination: The Nuts and Bolts of Nuts and Bolts

White Like Me: One man's desperate attempt to be himself

The Fanfic Bible: How to avoid copyright infringement lawsuits and still rip-off best-selling authors and screenwriters

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
Pinching it Off: Being the Epic Struggle to Answer a Ringing Telephone While on the Toilet
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Humor: An Exhaustive Scholarly Analysis
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

I Want To Murder a Light House Keeper!
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Pull the udder one: A milkmaid's tail

(of course, it got reviewed instantly):
"Like A Handmaid's Tale but it certainly pails by comparison."

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

The Adventures of the Single, Cookie-Baking, Cat-Owning, Milton-Quoting Amateur Detective in Cozyville, USA!
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
The Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants

Yes, I know it's been done, but in Britain this sounds like a very icky idea for a book. Let alone a movie. Second hand underwear! [Angst]

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

"Pants" never means underwear in the USA unless preceeded by "under" or rendered as "panties". So...I didn't get the ickiness. [Big Grin]
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
"Fastener Fascination: The Nuts and Bolts of Nuts and Bolts"

Some of us might find this one engrossing. [Big Grin] "More riveting than the AISC Steel Manual!" "I was nailed to my chair through the whole thing!" "Shot through with useful information!"

[ November 26, 2005, 03:54 PM: Message edited by: Tatiana ]

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ifmyheartcouldbeat
Member # 8692

- posted      Profile for ifmyheartcouldbeat   Email ifmyheartcouldbeat         Edit/Delete Post 
Funerals are Fun
Posts: 82 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Tic Tac Toe for Dummies
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Please Do Not Steal This Book
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Luxembourg: An Intensely Comprehensive Tour
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
title: ?
content: !
review: ...

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
The Bible II : Return of the Son of God
The Bible III : Bride of the Son of God
(...)

The Bible XIV : Return of the Revenge of the Bride of the Father of the Nephew of God!

Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Origin of Species II: Revenge of the Pachyderms
Origin of Species III: Survival of the Fattest

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lord trousers
Member # 8741

- posted      Profile for lord trousers   Email lord trousers         Edit/Delete Post 
101 Ways to Get Killed on the Freeway

Contemporary Cannibal Recipes

Making Fun of Nuns: A Serious Passtime

Your Intestines (In Color!)

Record-Setting Kidney Stones (and their proud owners)

Posts: 73 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lord trousers
Member # 8741

- posted      Profile for lord trousers   Email lord trousers         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by advice for robots:
Origin of Species III: Survival of the Fattest

Heh.

I'm Not Fat, I'm Famine-Tolerant

Posts: 73 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lord trousers
Member # 8741

Heather Has Ten Mommies
lord trousers
Member # 8741

Help! Mom! There Are Libertarians In My Sock Drawer!
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Sam 'n Ella's Favorite Poultry Recipes

Fear And Loathing in Los Altos (kinda have to be a bay area person to get that.)

Home For the Holidays - The R. Gene Simmons Story

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Dubya Does Dallas
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Puppies and Kittens from the Inside Out

Unicorn Stew

How to Make Annoying Noises

Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
So You Want to Be an IRS Auditor

...but then the thread title says NOVEL titles that might not work, and I can't think of any. Every awful title I can think of, I think -- I'd read that!

Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tmservo
Member # 8552

- posted      Profile for tmservo   Email tmservo         Edit/Delete Post 
Puppies and Kittens from the Inside Out<

Hmm. Interesting idea for a VetMed book [Wink]

Ok, a man, a woman, his children all walk into a talent agency..

The Novel.

Posts: 202 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
Holy Cuisine, Batman! How to Fry, Julienne, and Broil Nuns, Monks, and Priests

Pope on a Rope

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beanny
Member # 7109

- posted      Profile for Beanny   Email Beanny         Edit/Delete Post 
A hundred ways to kill a mockingbird
Posts: 803 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steev
Member # 6805

- posted      Profile for Steev           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Bob_Scopatz:

How to Make Annoying Noises

According to my parents I've written that book already.
Posts: 527 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Originally posted by Beanny:
A hundred ways to kill a mockingbird

Go ahead, click on it. You know you want to.
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Law & Order : Crime Scenes

oh wait . . . they did that one. And it was a bestseller.

(I mean, eww, the parts I don't want to look at in the show and they make stills you can examine in great depth? What does it say about us that we spend money on this stuff? Ewww!)

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
Tante, I was worried there for a second, but of course I was curious. Curse my curiosity! Thankfully it was nothing to wrong.
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

[Wink]
Beanny
Member # 7109

Tante, that was one of the most bizzare things I ever saw
Posts: 803 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lord trousers
Member # 8741

Yeah, way to kill the thread, Tante. [Razz]
Beanny
Member # 7109

The ULTIMATE book of Science and Smart Stuff
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Cat’s Got Your Tongue? The Story of One Cow’s Journey through 100 Stomachs
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
Spoilerama: Twist Endings to Movies You Haven't Yet Seen Revealed!

Okay, not a novel. But we do seem to be straying.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
Jack the Ripper and Jillian
Weretigers, Werelions, and Werebears, oh my!
Interview with the Accountant
Queen of the Darned

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zarex
Member # 8504

- posted      Profile for Zarex   Email Zarex         Edit/Delete Post 
The Wizard of Osteoperosis
Posts: 250 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
The Bourne Redundancy

We've already read it.

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
That Darned Snail.
Fun with Fungus and Rot.
The Locker Room Scratch and Sniff Collection
Only Idiots Would Read This Piece of Garbage

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Bowles
Member # 1021

- posted      Profile for David Bowles   Email David Bowles         Edit/Delete Post 
Gone With the Wind III: Revenge of the Carpetbaggers
Posts: 5663 | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Caribbean There, Caridone That
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Helvetica Bold! The Search of the World's Greatest Font and the Men Who Were There!

How to Lie Without Statistics

Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Wire Cutters and the Male Anatomy: A Pop-Up Book For All Ages
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Wire Cutters and the Male Anatomy: A Pop-Up Book For All Ages
Can I just say: OW!!!
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

The Penguin Edition, Complete Collection of Vogon Poetry
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

The Moron's Guide to The Complete Idiot Book Series.

Inside the Colon, A Pictorial Tour (Coffee Book Edition)

The Life of Lint

Dan_raven
Member # 3383

And with an Ode to David Bowles:

The Implications of Tiebout's Hypotheses for School Choice
The Impact of Secondary Orality on Literacy in the Río Grande Valley
Wild Organizational Structures in Public Education
Historical Effects of Inequitable Facilities Funding in Texas

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.