FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Help! With a Christmas Carol

Author Topic: Help! With a Christmas Carol
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
There are lots of musicians here on this forum. Help! I have lost my "story" of the events that lead John MacFarlane to write "Far, Far Away on Judea's Plains. I believe that I found it in an old "Instructor" and I kept a copy for years. Now that I need it it is gone. Can anyone help?
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I know it (this is what I read in Our Latter-Day Hymns: The Stories and the Messages.) He was working with another writer, supposed to be composing music for a Christmas hymn or poem or something that he had written. He was having difficulty, and went to sleep one night. He woke up with a tune and words in his head, turned to his wife, and said, "I've got a tune and I think words, too!" He wrote it down, but when the other writer looked at it, he said, "This is so different from what I wrote, it's not my work. This is completely new work, and you should take all the credit for it." (This is, of course, all paraphrased, as our books are still mostly packed and I have no clue where my copy of that book is. I love that book, though, and highly recommend it.)
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
I think you are right. It was Charles Walker, the guy who wrote "Saint George and the Drag on". I have that book somewhere, but am also suffering from the just moved syndrome. However, what I am looking for was a two or three page story suitable for a Christmas program intro for the Carol.
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I've never seen a 2 or 3 page story about it! The only thing I've ever seen it in is that book, and that's got about 1 page on it.

I really am not a big fan of that carol, though, you need two pages worth of talking about it? That seems a lot of talking for an intro for one song. And remember that you can't use anything verbatim unless you obtain permission from the publisher or they gave permission already (if it was in a Church magazine, they probably did, but anything else might be iffy, and I'd check.)

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

The tune may be dated. But, I think the poem is one of the best of the "traditional" carols. MacFarlaine is suposed to have had second thoughts about moving to St. George. His wife convinced him that he had been lead to a place that looked like "Judea's plains" to give him the inspiration to write the carol.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

No, see, I don't like the words, don't mind the tune at all. (Although I in no way consider it one of the "traditional" carols, having not grown up in the Church, so that might be part of it. I much prefer the really universally traditional carols-- which, luckily for me, are what usually get emphasized in my stake, since Christmas is a time when people are more willing to go to a Church program with their friends.)
boogashaga
Member # 8881

- posted      Profile for boogashaga   Email boogashaga         Edit/Delete Post 
KQ--If your Stake/Ward is doing one of those types of programs that you spoke about at Polka, tell me where and when, maybe I can go see it.
Posts: 101 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
*Random*
I just really like your name, Artemisia Tridentata

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
KQ--If your Stake/Ward is doing one of those types of programs that you spoke about at Polka, tell me where and when, maybe I can go see it.
No info is out yet, but I'll get it to you when I know of it. [Smile] Since it's nearly every year, I'm pretty sure we will.
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Synesthesia:
*Random*
I just really like your name, Artemisia Tridentata

Me, too. [Big Grin]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

Its just plain old latin
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
It's close to the name of a plant i like.
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

It is a plant I like, three tooth artemisia, Sage Brush. It's the Nevada State Flower. (and tree, and bush)
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm hoping that you have more than three teeth, however. [Evil] <--lots of teeth
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.