FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » people are going flipping nuts over xbox 360s

Author Topic: people are going flipping nuts over xbox 360s
solero
Member # 8668

- posted      Profile for solero   Email solero         Edit/Delete Post 
on ebay people are buying them for like $1000 what do you think of this?
Posts: 32 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
Some people have poor impulse control and little ability to wait a month or two.
Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's stupid when none of the current games out for it are really good. At least Xbox had a killer app in Halo. I've heard Perfect Dark Zero is about equivalent to Perfect Dark on N64 (which was good back in the day, but come on, it's been years). Personally if I wanted a 360 (which I don't since I'm mostly a Nintendo fan), I'd just wait till after the holidays to get one, since they should be more plentiful then (particularly if you wait out until the PS3 comes out and the 360's price should be dropped some).
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Have you seen the trailer (with in game action) for Prey?

Freaking. Awesome.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah. It's so good that you don't need to drop $450 to play the game; you can just watch the trailer over and over again for free.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Damn straight. [Smile]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
It makes me wish I had preordered one and then sold it on ebay. [Smile]
Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't need one. I waste enough time on Hatrack. [Big Grin]
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Hear hear!
And who needs it when you have Ogame! [Big Grin]

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chreese Sroup
Member # 8248

- posted      Profile for Chreese Sroup           Edit/Delete Post 
Eventually I'll stop playing it long enough to write a review.
Posts: 189 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I really like the idea of the Xbox Live Marketplace. Good on Microsoft for providing a delivery system for small games that aren't necessarily by big developers and publishers. It's also nice to see Valve's Steam service being used similarly.

I don't have an HDTV. My 17" LCD will handle the Xbox's native 720p output, but as long as I've got wireless controllers I'd rather game on something a big larger and sit comfortably on the futon. I will probably get one in the future, but apart from periodic irrational bouts of shiny hardware lust I'm not in a rush.

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

I really like the idea of the Xbox Live Marketplace.

I'm iffy, however, on the idea that the best items and/or powerups available on a multiplayer server might cost extra through that same Marketplace. It makes me cringe.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
How likely do you think that is to happen? I can't decide.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

lupus, I had the same thought yesterday.
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I had that thought a month ago, but I totally spaced the release date. I was going to buy 5 from walmart, then sell them on ebay. I would've made about 3 grand.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Some people have poor impulse control and little ability to wait a month or two.
A lot of people pay extra to see a movie in the theater for the exact same reason -- they can't bear the idea of waiting six months to see the movie when others are watching it now.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chreese Sroup
Member # 8248

Well, there is the fact that Microsoft says they are pushing out weekly shipments, so it may be a good idea to sell soon if any of you have them and are waiting.

I believe I heard Jallard say that they didn't want to see what happened with the PS2 where everyone wanted one, but there were none to be had for 6 months.

Also, it is in their best interest to get as many out to the public as possible, because while they are losing roughly $70 per console and $50 more on accessories on the Premium bundle, they can make more on the games that people buy. The more people that own them the more titles sold.

I really like the Live-Gamercard system. Here is me if you would like to take a peek.
http://card.mygamercard.net/chreesesroup.jpg
It shows my Gamer points, meaning how many Achievements I have unlocked per game; Each Achievement has a different set amount and they are worth roughly 10-20 points each. It also shows what games I have played recently in order. The guy in the blue helmet is for SmashTV a game I bought on the Live Marketplace for 400 points. I bought a 1600 point card for $19.99, making the game about $5.

Posts: 189 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
quote:
A lot of people pay extra to see a movie in the theater for the exact same reason -- they can't bear the idea of waiting six months to see the movie when others are watching it now.
The difference is that the marginal cost of seeing a movie now to seeing it six months from now is pretty low - we're talking, at most, five or six bucks. And the return to utility can be quite high, if you consider the whole movie-going experience.

On the other hand, waiting a few months for an X-box will probably lower the price by at least a few hundred dollars (compared to what people are paying on eBay). The wait might be only a few weeks - it depends on when supply of X-Boxes increases, but I'm sure Microsoft is pushing hard to get more shippments out before the holidays. I think the people who are buying X-Boxes on ebay for $1000 are misjudging the utility that having one now will really bring them, compared to what else they could get out of that $500 that they're paying extra.

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chreese Sroup
Member # 8248

Jhai if by few months you mean a year it makes sense.

Secondly, I saw the new Harry Potter opening morning for roughly $4. (Early Bird)

Edit: ah, I see what you mean, about E-Bay. I thought you were referring to the eventual price drop of the actual console.

Jhai
Member # 5633

According to Microsoft, the core system costs $299 and the *good* system costs $399. If people are paying over $1000 for an Xbox, then they're paying over $600 more than the suggested retail price. Should Microsoft up the supply of Xboxes, as I understand they're trying very hard to do, then the price on them should eventually fall to around the suggested retail price.

Edit: Yup, I was referring to the eBay prices. [Smile]
I can understand why someone might not want to wait for the eventual drop in the "offical" price. I would, were I considering buying a 360, but that's because I don't gain all that much utility from playing console games.

Chreese Sroup
Member # 8248

300,000 go on sale in EU on friday.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The difference is that the marginal cost of seeing a movie now to seeing it six months from now is pretty low - we're talking, at most, five or six bucks.
For many of us with kids, going out to see a movie in the threater costs several times as much (two evening tickets plus babysitting) than to rent the movie in a few months. And yet we sometimes do it anyway.
quote:
On the other hand, waiting a few months for an X-box will probably lower the price by at least a few hundred dollars (compared to what people are paying on eBay).
It's a difference in degree, not in type.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

But there's a large difference between having a Saturday evening date out at the movies without the kids and watching a movie on your old 25" at home, no? So you aren't comparing like goods - the gain of utility (i.e. happiness) from doing one may be much higher than doing another.

Playing an Xbox now and playing an Xbox a month from now are basically the same experience. The only difference is the timing - which also exists in the movie example, but is only one of many factors in your decision to rent vs. go out to watch a movie.

Plus, when you factor in two tickets into the equation, you're fundamentally changing it: now we're talking about the utility gained by two people, not just one, as in the Xbox example.

It IS a difference of type, as well as degree. But even if you don't agree with me on that, differences of degree do matter. If I'm paying 100 times more for an early Xbox vs. an early movie viewing, I better get 100x more satisfaction out of it, or I've wasted my money. I doubt that most of these people are really getting this much utility out of their Xboxes. Rather, they just have taste preference curve that is skewed towards the immediate over the long-term.

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
But there's a large difference between having a Saturday evening date out at the movies without the kids and watching a movie on your old 25" at home, no?
There is truth to that, and there are times when I pay the extra just to have the theater experience.

But there are other times when a large part of reason why I (and others) go to the theater is that I can't stand not seeing the movie NOW. For me, one example is the movie Serenity.

Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Or perhaps they feel that the experience can't be dryly quantified, as you attempted to do just now.... [Wink]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chreese Sroup
Member # 8248

I'm growing ever tired of the quality of theaters.

I'd much rather have an HD projector with HD movies.
If my projector wasn't going to cost a bunch to fix, I would probably not go to the theater ever again.

I wouldn't have to deal with crappy audio, and scratched film, not to mention horrible splices at reelchanges.

Black Fox
Member # 1986

- posted      Profile for Black Fox   Email Black Fox         Edit/Delete Post 
I am evil and had mine preordered a eternity ago. Though I have to wait for my mother to ship it to me here in Germany. Hopefully it will be everything that I paid for ( 700 dollar bundle). Luckily all the games/accesories that are coming with it are the ones I would have bought anyhow.
Posts: 1753 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
A few weeks ago, one of my coworkers offered to sell me his spare XBox 360 (he'd preordered two of them) at cost. Really nice of him to offer, and I very nearly took him up on it. I finally decided not to do it, as Oblivion wasn't going to be available, and it's really for that game that I'd be buying to console.

He sold the spare console on EBay for $1,500.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The difference is that the marginal cost of seeing a movie now to seeing it six months from now is pretty low - we're talking, at most, five or six bucks. And the return to utility can be quite high, if you consider the whole movie-going experience.

On the other hand, waiting a few months for an X-box will probably lower the price by at least a few hundred dollars (compared to what people are paying on eBay). The wait might be only a few weeks - it depends on when supply of X-Boxes increases, but I'm sure Microsoft is pushing hard to get more shippments out before the holidays. I think the people who are buying X-Boxes on ebay for $1000 are misjudging the utility that having one now will really bring them, compared to what else they could get out of that $500 that they're paying extra.

A more apt comparison might be computer hardware: when the brand new, bleeding edge components come out, they're ludicrously expensive. Most of them have depreciated significantly within 6 months. You have the crazies who need the newest everything when it comes out and are willing to shell out the dough for it, and you get the people like me who still play Starcraft and are willing to wait a few years for a 128 mb video card until the price has dropped from $599 to $59. [Big Grin]
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.