FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I love Amazon! Finally, something I've been waiting forever for

Author Topic: I love Amazon! Finally, something I've been waiting forever for
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
Amazon now allows you to search not only by author and title, but also by character and by "statistically improbable phrases."

For ages I've been desiring an equalivalent to imdb only for books, and by adding a character search Amazon has finally produced one. I'm so happy.

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
It's not love. It's infatuation. [Evil Laugh]
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
blackwolve, this is incredibly cool. I can't think of a book I want to look up right now, but I know that I've many time Googled a name and phrase trying to recall a book I wanted.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, maybe I'm dumb, but I went to the Amazon page and didn't find those types of searches. Could you perhaps post a link? [Blushing]
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

What I saw came up when I looked up a book, like, I could look up one book and find all the other books with such and such a character in them. I'll mess around with it after class and see if I can figure out more.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

Ooooh, ok. I only went to "advanced search" and couldn't find any of those. [Big Grin]
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

Ok, I guess I got excited too soon. So far it only looks like it's available for s few books. Still, hopefully it'll be up and running for all of them in the future.

Here's the most comprehensive explanation I could find.

Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh man, I hope it's up and running for everything because that's just too awesome.

I've done the google thing too.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in love with Amazon myself. [Kiss]
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

So, did anyone try to use that to search for "it doesn't do anything..."?
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
My love for Amazon stems entirely from their current promotion: three months of Amazon Prime for free (read: free 2 day shipping on all orders).

My current hatred for Amazon stems entirely from their current shipping situation: despite my free 2 day shipping, it took them a week to process my order.

*sigh*

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Corwin:
So, did anyone try to use that to search for "it doesn't do anything..."?

LOL, I JUST did that, then scrolled down to see that you had mentioned it.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I love amazon, but for another reason. I just got my Firefly dvds! They're here and they are amazing. I can't wait to sit down and watch them.
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.