FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Closing the Manufacturing Plant where I work (Update--I got a job offer!)

Author Topic: Closing the Manufacturing Plant where I work (Update--I got a job offer!)
Crotalus
Member # 7339

- posted      Profile for Crotalus   Email Crotalus         Edit/Delete Post 
Got the news this morning. I work for Merck and the announcement was made this morning that our facility would be one of those that is closing. Just in time for Christmas too! They'll need to keep the place staffed till the end of '06, so there is a buffer, but still it stinks.

If anybody knows of any jobs for someone with a Biology major and a Chem minor then let me know. I've got 7+ years experience in a quality laboratory running LC, GC, AA, and various other wet chem testing. I'd like to stay here in Georgia, but if it comes down to feeding my family I'll do whatever I have to. Gonna go home tonight and update the old resume. Thanks for listening.

Crot

[ February 27, 2006, 10:37 AM: Message edited by: Crotalus ]

Posts: 232 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
So sorry, Crotalus.

I had read on the web they were cutting back, but I didn't know you worked there.

I would think with that kind of talent and your experience, it should be pretty easy for you to find something. I hope.

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's wishing you and yours the best.
Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Lots of jobs in that line working for medical tech and drug companies here in Indiana (Bloomington and Indianapolis, specifically).
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck, and I'm sorry to hear about the plant closing. [Frown] Do you get bonuses for staying until the end? I've known some places to do that to encourage people not to get new jobs and leave as soon as the announcement is made. . .
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to hear that, Crotulus. I hope you find something that works well for your family. [Frown]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I hope you find something better, then.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crotalus
Member # 7339

I hope i find something better too. Thanks all for the good wishes. ElJay, there is talk of that. Conversely there will be severence packages for those who are laid off. So all things considered it could be much worse.
Posts: 232 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Man, that sucks. Good luck on the job hunt.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck. I have a relative-by-marriage who has an in with the City of Seattle (I think that's where, anyway) along those lines, but I'd guess you don't want to go that far. I can ask him if he's heard anything else (he has a degree in Chemistry and works along the same lines as you.)
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crotalus
Member # 7339

I haven't been posting very often lately, because I've been looking for a job. But I was never a heavy poster anyway. At any rate, I wanted to let the fine folks here know that I got a job offer. And I'm taking it.

I've been offered a position with Southern Nuclear. It's a subsidiary of Southern Company (Ga power is another subsidiary). I will be working as a Chemistry technician at their plant in Baxley, Ga. Actually it is about halfway between Vidalia and Baxley. Podunk, here we come.

We will be much closer to my family (about 30 miles away from my hometown) and about 80 miles from my wife's mother, so that is a positive. The only negatives are leaving the home and friends we have here in Albany, Georgia.

As for Hatrack, once things settle maybe I can post more. Good thing about the internet is that you can keep in contact from just about anywhere.

For now, I must go and rejoice. And post this over on the writer's forum.

Peace,
Crotalus

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.