FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I got my *#%^$#@!@J$#% flu shot last night.

Author Topic: I got my *#%^$#@!@J$#% flu shot last night.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
My daddy gave it to me. (He gave Jeff his last week, but waited for mine to be cleared by my doctor, then gave me mine next time I remembered to ask for it.) (Yes, he's a doctor.)

I hate flu shots. Not because of the prick; no, that's not bad at all. Not because of the ache as stuff is pushed into my muscle, which I get with all shots; no again, I could live with that if it subsided within a couple of hours like it does with tetanus shots. It's the reaction I have to flu (and a couple of other) shots. I get achy all over. My whole arm swells up. Luckily I no longer get fevers like I did as a child, but that doesn't really make me feel much better. I feel miserable all over. My joints and muscles all hurt. Every one of them. I can barely type-- I'm doing most of it one-handed because one arm is so sore, and slowly, because the other one hurts, too.

I hate getting flu shots.

Even though I have asthma and am considered "high risk" and high priority to get a flu shot, I usually skive off and chicken out when I'm not pregnant. But being pregnant this year, my dad, doctor, and husband pretty much guilted me into it. [Grumble]

I hate flu shots.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
Poor KQ, I know how you feel. I had a horrible reactions to the Rubella shot. I was innoculated as a child, but for some reason I came up as "not immune" when I was pregnant with my first, so after he was born I was given the shot. I had a high fever & was so sick I just lay on the couch with the baby & couldn't move, could barely even feed him. Then when I got pregnant with my 2nd they said I was "not immune"! I refused to have the shot after that baby, since it didn't work anyway and I wasn't going through the process of not being able to care for my children again!
Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
Everyone I know that had the flu shot had pretty much the same reaction as you, kq. Sore. Sore. Sore. Myself included. As yucky as I felt, I still prefer it to the actual flu.
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow - finally someone who reacts to flu shots like I do! My arm swells up too, I get a hard knot under the skin and it's hot to the touch.

When I told my doctor that he said don't get any more, I might be allergic. But I don't think so...most people who react to flu shots are also allergic to eggs which I'm not.

I certainly sympathize, kq, and I have to go get mine on Thursday. [Grumble]

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't had a flu shot in five years. Not because I didn't want it or anything. My parents just forgot. The rest of my family gets a flu shot, but I get forgotten. Everytime we drive by a shot station they'll say, "We need to get your flu shot sometime." And that is that.

Anywho, if it is any consolation I am expierencing excruciating back pain. I think its from my backpack.

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
(Whoa, I really am beginning to think JennaDean is my double!)

My Gram has always had that reaction to flu shots, and as a result I have just never gotten one. She and I have similar biologies- if she reacts to something, I avoid it like the plague.

Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Jeff says HIS didn't hurt at all. [Grumble]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
I never get flu shots. I've heard that if you get a flu shot once, you're better off getting them every year, and if you haven't got a flu shot, you're better off never getting one. My brother told me this; I believe it was something he got from one of his biomedical engineering classes.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I need a flu shot because I have minor asthma and will have the same stupid cough for 2 months without one.
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never, to my knowledge, gotten a flu shot.

I've never gotten the flu either.

I consider myself lucky on both counts.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never had a problem with flu shots, but this year I got flumist, which is a live attenuated flu vaccine given intranasally instead of intramuscularly. High risk folks (pregnant, chronic illnesses, etc) are not eligible, and at this time it's only licensed for people aged 5 to 50, but it's supposed to be more effective than the shot, since it stimulates IgA antibodies in the mucous membranes. I had a mild runny nose and headache for about a day after I received the vaccine, but that was all.
Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
romany, I have the same thing with my grandmother. She's got a wonky metabolism and reacts oddly to all kinds of drugs. So I take what she takes and avoid what she avoids. Weird, the things you inherit.

KQ, I'll trade you a cortisone shot for a flu shot.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Oooh, mac, I hate those, too. But at least I don't react like this. Deal.
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
The problem is I can't get anyone to give me Demerol now. I want to see the little people my Gram saw!
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, at least you didn't get the Fake Flu Shots in Texas that some Exxon-Mobil people were given....

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
14 residents of a suburban nursing home were injected
This is evil.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
When I went to the pulmonologist yesterday, they offered me a flu shot, and were very surprised that I turned it down.

I've had the flu only once in my life, and that was when I was a kid.

Boy did it suck, but the small chance I get it this year didn't seem worth it.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
KQ, awesome. I still need a flu shot. >_<
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
I got the shot a couple times when they gave it to students for free. I've never had a problem with the flu, but I figured free is free. It didn't bother me at all...but my immune system has always been good so maybe that kept the shot from making me feel sick.
Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I think it's more to do with I have wacked out reactions to shots than other people have really good immune systems. *sigh* For instance, my aunt, who has lupus, heart problems, and ten gazillion other things wrong with her, doesn't react at all, same as Jeff.
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think most people should get it. There doesn't seem to be enough to go around.

I get it when I can, because I am a teacher and am exposed to more germs, because my kids have asthma and end up in the hospital almost every time they get sick, and because my wife, also a teacher, has no spleen.

Some years, though, I never really get a good opportunity to get it. (Read "an opportunity to get the flu shot without making a dotor's appointment.")

I got it this year, though.

-o-

You know, it's funny, FG, when I got the shot this year, I joked to my wife about how they could be injecting us with saline or whatever at $20 a pop and we'd never know it.

I wonder how they caught this woman.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

She probably bragged to someone. *sigh* People are not only evil, they're stupid sometimes.
Traceria
Member # 11820

- posted      Profile for Traceria   Email Traceria         Edit/Delete Post 
If you all don't mind, I'm going to bump this thread because for the first time our office is offering free flu shots on site. I've never gotten a flu shot before (and hate shots in general, though that's not a serious consideration), and was hoping to get some input on why someone may or may not want to get one when it's free and extremely convenient.

Suggestions anyone?

Posts: 691 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh my stars. I didn't even see the dates. I was wondering why I didn't know that KQ was pregnant right now.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Traceria
Member # 11820

- posted      Profile for Traceria   Email Traceria         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by katharina:
Oh my stars. I didn't even see the dates. I was wondering why I didn't know that KQ was pregnant right now.

[ROFL] Oh gosh, that's too funny. Sorry about the confusion!
Posts: 691 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:

But being pregnant this year

Wait what?? You've been pregnant for like 5 years now. Didn't you just start a new baby thread like 4 months ago or something?
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow - I didn't realize it was bumped until I saw I had already made a comment on it that I didn't remember making... [Smile]

Sorry, Traceria -- I have nothing to add. I avoid the shots, myself; and I'm not in a high risk group.

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, that makes more sense.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't give the unannounced KQ pregnancy second thought. It was the post by Mack that caught me off guard and prompted a date check.

It's strange, the way different people cue on different environmental changes.

Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
*laugh* Want to identify a Hatrack regular? Have them read this thread. A real regular will think, "KQ is pregnant again? And hey, look, Mackillian! Um, what...?"
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
I did the exact same thing! I was like, wow, I must have missed an announcement!

As far as flu shots go, I think I'm going to suck it up and get one this year. I've never got one before, but I'm thinking my luck may be close to running out.

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
*laugh* Want to identify a Hatrack regular? Have them read this thread. A real regular will think, "KQ is pregnant again? And hey, look, Mackillian! Um, what...?"

A real regular would notice that a thread with 20+ posts had magically appeared since 10 minutes before and check for fishiness.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
A lazy regular would miss the other clues since he was skimming this thread and then be jolted by a post they made 4 years ago.

(Looks like Farmgirl and I qualify)

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.