FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » movie moments that make you cry (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: movie moments that make you cry
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
OH my gosh, don't even remind me. There are so many weepy Captain Picard moments for me. *sniffle* And that is a great episode by the way.

social_chic, you nailed one of mine on the head. Deep Impact makes me bawl like a nutcase every time I watch it, and that's one of the parts. I also can't stand when Elijah wood has to get on the bus without her...I can't stand when Tea Leoni gives up her seat for Beth and Beth's daughter.

Little Women is one of those movies that make me bawl all the way through. Not just the sad, but the many happy parts all the way through that movie. I love it when Marmie reads their father's letter at the beginning of the movie, and when she has to say goodbye to them to go see him in Washington Hospital. Ah, it all just kills me.

I cried bitterly at the end of Forrest Gump, when he's at his wife's grave and starts to cry. I cried when he goes in to sit down with his little son for the first time...when Bubba dies....yeah. That's another one of those 'cry all the way through it' movies.

I cry in Serenity, but not where you would think. Not when 'it' happens, but later, when they pan over those faces on the stones, with that music, and everyone surrounding Zoe....*blubber* I also get all choked up during Mal's 'love' speech. It's just so great.

Return of the King is so full of bawling spots...but the one that gets me EVERY TIME is the charge of the Rohirrim. Theoden's speech, he crashes spear on spear with all of his riders and then BAM! Off they go! It kills me.

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dawnmaria
Member # 4142

- posted      Profile for dawnmaria   Email dawnmaria         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by starLisa:
The Professional.
The Family Man.
When I was a kid, the first time I saw Snoopy Come Home.
The ST:TNG ep "Inner Light". I bawled my head off.

I have that episode saved I love it so much! I cry every single time! My husband just laughs at me! When he(Picard) realizes whats happened at the end I just want to hold him!
Posts: 601 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

And then he goes off and plays his flute some more...:cries: It's fantastic.
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MyrddinFyre:
Oh! That reminds me that an episode of Star Trek made me cry too... TNG, when Captain Picard "lives" a whole life on a planet that is doomed.

That's "The Inner Light". The one I mentioned above. It was just absolutely heartbreaking.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I need to echo the cries of Return of the King. The first time I saw it, I cried starting about when Merry and Pippin got separated, and didn't really stop until half an hour after the film. (I was also sleep-deprived and had spent nearly 8 hours in the theatre at that point)

Others:

The Pianist - I bawl when he sits down for the Nazi dude.
Gladiator, Amadeus - Death scenes.
Les Choristes - the farewell notes. Oh goodness, do I cry at that part.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
foundling
Member # 6348

- posted      Profile for foundling   Email foundling         Edit/Delete Post 
Little Women is a movie that gets me everytime, too.
The scene where Beth is dieing, and comforts Jo frickin kills me. I HATE Claire Danes and her gyrating lower lip, but I still cant help but bawl.

I also cant seem to help but cry when the father dies in "The Lion King". I remember watching it with this little kids I was babysitting, and they made fun of me mercilessly for tearing up at that part. Little bastards.

Any book by Barbara Kingsolver is a pretty much garenteed to make me cry. Especially "The Poisonwood Bible".

Posts: 499 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
When I'm alone I cry. When I'm not, I rarely do, although I'm getting better.

-Nobody Knows, a Japanese film about a family of children abandoned by their mother. I watched it on my Birthday last year. It's NOT a Birthday film, although very good. I wept in the theatre.
-Serenity (I sniffled in the theatre. Later that evening, I sobbed.)
-Amadeus (I actually didn't cry. I watched it with my parents and I was so deeply affected that I didn't cry. I was angry at my parents for 'making' me watch it. But a few days later I sat down to practice my Mozart and teared up. So, yeah.)
-Various West Wing Episodes (Yup)
-The Return of the King (This varies with my mood)
-Goodbye Mr. Chips
- West Side Story. The second time around. I honestly didn't really "get" it when I saw it as a child.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BGgurl
Member # 8541

- posted      Profile for BGgurl   Email BGgurl         Edit/Delete Post 
The scene in The Titanic where Cathy Bates' character tries to get them to go back for the men [Cry]
Posts: 106 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
This whole thread is choking me up. [Frown] Especially when starLisa mentioned the TNG episode. Just one of many episodes that have brought many tears to my eyes. [Frown]
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Narnia, I was sniffling at the same spot in Serenity (not Mal's love speech, but the stones). When "it" happened it was just sort of blank shock . . . like, "huh? No, that can't be."

I echo Return of the King, Frodo's goodbye. The Grey Havens just kills me every single time I read the book. (followed by a teary read of "Bilbo's Last Song.") It's like I'm saying farewell to Middle Earth, too.

But I cry at sappy commercials, so really it doesn't take much for me to consider it a tearjerker!

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed 2: Cruise Control
Member # 6765

- posted      Profile for Speed 2: Cruise Control   Email Speed 2: Cruise Control         Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of Japanese movies, what about Grave of the Fireflies or After Life? The first of those made me cry harder, although it felt a little more manipulative. After Life, on the other hand, felt much more real, and left me not in despair so much as with a contented, cathartic release. I've got to respect a movie that opens me up emotionally in such an honest way.

Also, Harold and Maude has one of the best endings I've ever seen on film. To let an audience grieve and then turn it around at the last second from pain to joy in one move of the camera... if only all movies could end that well.

Posts: 127 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
W;t, where Vivian's teacher comes to visit her in the hospital and reads her Runaway Bunny, interjecting it with literary criticism. And how she stops doing it eventually and Vivian falls asleep. I love how childlike Vivian has become as she gets close to death.

I also tear up a bit when the nurse gives her a popsicle.

Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 6765

- posted      Profile for Speed 2: Cruise Control   Email Speed 2: Cruise Control         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, no. Please write the whole name of the movie, I'm begging you. Now I'm going to have to spend 15 minutes trying to figure out which of all the millions of movies that have ever been made start with "W;t". Then when I come up blank I'm going to have to meticulously re-read all the previous posts to see if it's already appeared in this thread. Then I'll have to go on Google and IMDB trying to find a movie with a character named Vivian whose teacher reads "Runaway Bunny." Please tell me what "W;t" stands for while I still have some of the day left to devote to other enterprises.

[Grumble]

Posts: 127 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
That's the name of the movie - W;t.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
If we can include video: I'd cry if somebody told me I had to watch Friends.
Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a pun on "Wit" (you may find it there), because there's one scene where a semicolon becomes of utmost importance to the meaning of a metaphysical holy sonnet. [Wink]
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 6765

It's called "W;t"? Pronounced "doubleyou semicolon tee"? That's a heck of a name. I can't find it on IMDB, but I guess I'll take your word for it.
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
IMDb link for "Wit" (I'm not sure about the semi-colon. It doesn't show up in the official title on the IMDb page.)
Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 6765

Okay, I found "wit".

Sorry to sound snarky. I just hate it when people abbreviate things, and I assumed that's what you'd done. Finally made me snap, but for no reason as it turns out.

Brinestone
Member # 5755

No worries. [Big Grin]
Ophelia
Member # 653

- posted      Profile for Ophelia   Email Ophelia         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to agree with everyone who's said the dog episode of Futurama. I bawl like a baby every time I see the end of that.

I cry a lot. Recently it's been the end of The Corpse Bride, the part with Cedric's dad in Goblet of Fire, and the part of A Muppet Christmas Carol where the Ghost of Christmas Future shows Scrooge the Cratchett family after Tiny Tim dies.

Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know what it says about me, but it was about my fifth viewing of Matilda before I didn't cry from start to finish.
Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Diffinatly Schindler's List.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't cry, but my wife's grandmother was in tears with "Ice Age" when it appears that (**spoiler**)
the tiger died. She almost turned off the video, but we made her wait out the happy ending. Her eyes were puffy until he showed back up.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
That's adorable...
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
"Bonjourno Principessa!"
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
Nnooo... Squicky! Why did you remind me?

[Cry]

How about in Remember the Titans when Julius blames himself for Gary's accident?

Edit: Oh! and in My Dog Skip when the man kills Skip?

Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Mry, that's "The Inner Light." I was going to say that one too.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

quote:
But I cry at sappy commercials, so really it doesn't take much for me to consider it a tearjerker!
Same here. [Smile]

Remember the Titans is a killer. I LOVE it when they win, I cry when thy come together, when Julius meets Bertram's mother and hugs the stuffing out of her...that's really a great movie.

pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, this is really silly, but at the end of the Mummy Returns, when Imhotep's eyes are all filled with tears, that makes me so sad. I want to scoop him up and give him a hug.

I also thought the ending of Hannibal was pretty sweet.

I'm such a sucker for men of questionable moral standing.

EDIT: Okay. Maybe not just "questionable moral standing" so much as "rather evil" in these cases. But I also loved Ep III Anakin, too. Sure, he turned to the Dark Side, but he just wanted to save his wife. Awwwwww.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
camus
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for camus   Email camus         Edit/Delete Post 
Some of the following qualify as *cry* while the others are just really emotional.

Braveheart had a couple of parts, though I can't pinpoint the specific scenes.

The Patriot had a small part where the little daughter finally speaks to her dad.

Schindler's List as described by SenojRetep

"You had me at hello" from Jerry Maguire

a couple of parts in The Notebook. The part Raia describes, their breakup scene earlier in the movie, and the final ending in the hospital.

Many scenes in Hotel Rwanda. Too many to describe, but the most notable was when the UN were evacuating and turning people away.

Awakenings when Robert DeNiro starts to, um, revert back to original condition.

A.I. when the mother dumps the child off.

A couple times in October Sky. Once when he is descending into the mine shaft and also when the teacher sees the rocket from the hospital.

The end of Finding Neverland.

...and many others but I don't have time to remember them right now.

Posts: 1256 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

*cries* I can't believe I forgot about Finding Neverland. I cry all the way through that one too. Well, not really, but the ending really does slay me. It starts when he comes to visit her during the opening night of his own play and they sit and talk that evening. He holds her hand, but that's all the physical contact they have...though she finally does admit to wishing there could be more between them. Then I cry all through the part where they're watching the play in the house (it's making me cry just to think about that) all the way to the end when he talks to Peter on the park bench. Darn that little boy for having such expressive and tear-filled eyes!!

My favorite line in that movie is at the end when he says "I loved your daughter very much." *sigh* It's wonderful.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.