FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Why the hatred of John McCain?

Author Topic: Why the hatred of John McCain?
Ben
Member # 6117

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben         Edit/Delete Post 
Skimming through talk shows on the radio and television, along with reading countless editorials spewing nonsense about the man, I wonder why there is such a disdain for McCain.

As far as right winged talkshows and publications are concerned there is no indifference toward McCain in the Republican party. No, you either hate him or love him. I understand he has broken party lines on several votes, and he has been a key player in some investigations and social injustice issues, but seriously! What vile, despicable, unforgivable actions has this man done to be attacked so? He's fiscally conservative, pro-military...I don't understand.

Hell, i am willing to jump party lines to support him in the 2008 election.

i...just...don't...understand. My brain hurts.

that is all...

[ November 30, 2005, 05:03 PM: Message edited by: Ben ]

Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I was happy with him until a little while ago. Unfortunately, I can no longer trust him.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 6117

explain why. what has he done to burn your trust?
Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tern
Member # 7429

- posted      Profile for tern   Email tern         Edit/Delete Post 
One (hyphenated) word: McCain-Feingold.

See the thread about NPR, McCain is just another fox promising to make the henhouse foxproof.

Posts: 561 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 6117

McCain was found to have no involvement in the Keating scandal.

Why does supporting Campaign Finance Reform = untrustworthy?

Yank
Member # 2514

- posted      Profile for Yank   Email Yank         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
One (hyphenated) word: McCain-Feingold.

Have to agree on that one. I generally very much like McCain otherwise; I supported him in the Presidential primaries back in 2000.
Posts: 1631 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
He's becoming more of a "politician" lately. Starting to make deals, vote for things he doesn't believe in to gain backing. He didn't used to do that so much a few years back.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 6117

What does he not believe in that he has voted for?
Silent E
Member # 8840

- posted      Profile for Silent E   Email Silent E         Edit/Delete Post 
I am (nominally) a Republican, and I quite like McCain. I would vote for him for Pres. in a heartbeat.
Posts: 202 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
While I haven't studied McCain, he seems to be conservative where I am liberal (ie: abortion) and liberal where I'm conservative (ie: he wants big government)

I wouldn't vote for him for dog catcher and I wince everytime his name is mentioned. I'd prolly vote for Bill Clinton before I would vote for McCain.

Further, He's anti free speech as shown with his campaign finance reform bill. I don't see how a man with such blatant disregard for the constitution gathers such a large following...

Pix

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 6117

See, i view the reform bill as pro-speech actually. It allows little man stan a fighting chance to get his voice heard (in theory) even without necessarily having deep pockets or Corporate Company behind him. It keeps Corporate Company from flooding the airwaves drowning out free speech. i feel unregulated finance leads to strongarming in advertising and political support, eliminating that free speech for those unable to compete.
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
You consider making campaign donations an exercise in freedom of speech?
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yank
Member # 2514

quote:
See, i view the reform bill as pro-speech actually. It allows little man stan a fighting chance to get his voice heard (in theory) even without necessarily having deep pockets or Corporate Company behind him. It keeps Corporate Company from flooding the airwaves drowning out free speech. i feel unregulated finance leads to strongarming in advertising and political support, eliminating that free speech for those unable to compete.
Well, that's the theory, and it would be nice if it worked that way, but it doesn't. The "Fat cats" just find lots of loopholes, and mostly it just ends up giving WAY too much power to single-issue special-interest groups, which are one of the greatest political plagues of our time; whenever you hold up one virtue as THE virtue, you're well on your way down the road to Hell. C.S. Lewis said something along those lines, but I haven't time to look it up.

In our age of mass communications, in limiting campaign finance contributions, you're essentially limiting how much one can say. Trying to govern something like this is always dangerous, and ALWAYS has unintended consequences.

Posts: 1631 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tern
Member # 7429

Some of the campaign reform measures are being used against bloggers, who are definitely little guys.
Posts: 561 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't like him because he was meddling in major league baseball in a pompous fashion.

They have a union negotiated collective bargaining agreement, and their drug policy is none of Congress' gosh durn biznath.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yank
Member # 2514

quote:
I don't like him because he was meddling in major league baseball in a pompous fashion.

They have a union negotiated collective bargaining agreement, and their drug policy is none of Congress' gosh durn biznath.

Yep. I remember watching that debacle on C-SPAN and thinking, "We *pay* these clowns for this?" What a waste of time.
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
There's plenty of reasons why people don't like McCain, but I think the reason you're seeing such an onslaught is that McCain threatens the Big Business conservatives. They've had an amazing sweet time under Bush but a President McCain will not be as accomodating and will likely turn back a lot of the gifts that the Bush administration has been giving them.

[ November 30, 2005, 05:40 PM: Message edited by: MrSquicky ]

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm... I haven't really seen all that much negative press on McCain. Maybe I'm just watching the wrong shows.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by twinky:
You consider making campaign donations an exercise in freedom of speech?

Welcome to America.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nato
Member # 1448

- posted      Profile for Nato   Email Nato         Edit/Delete Post 
Some things I've heard:

As Katrina's costs were snowballing, McCain was saying how Bush's tax cuts must be preserved... yet he voted against those tax cuts.

He's anti-gay-marriage, he supports teaching some form of creation/intelligent design in public schools...

Posts: 1592 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't like him at all these days...anyone who can support the very people who attacked him so wrongfully during his own campaign just to garner their votes at a later date is not the person I want in the White House.

We already have someone I don't trust there, thankyouverymuch.

[ November 30, 2005, 11:51 PM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tern
Member # 7429

What, we can trust any of them?
Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
Some clarifications are in order.
quote:
McCain-Feingold bans individuals or groups of individuals from criticizing (or even mentioning) candidates in mass media, in the 6 months before an election. It does not give the "little man" a fighting chance to have his voice heard; it makes it a crime for him to have his voice heard. On the other hand, the very rich can buy their own media companies (or their very own Senators), and are thus not limited by this bill, as media companies and candidates are exempt.

There is currently the 527 exception: individuals can come together and form groups solely for the purpose of doing such advertising, without being prosecuted. McCain has stated an intention to make this a crime, too.

Donating to a political party or candidate was not banned or limited by this bill. Of course! What politician would outlaw people giving him money?

Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.