FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Anyone like Bob Dylan

Author Topic: Anyone like Bob Dylan
Gecko
Member # 8160

- posted      Profile for Gecko           Edit/Delete Post 
He's my favorite singer/songwriter of all time.

Anyone a fan of his? What are some songs you enjoy?

Posts: 340 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
No.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Early Bob Dylan, yes. Nowadays he can wail and scream and people will still buy his stuff. I miss the old before I was born days of Bob Dylan.
Blowing in the Wind.
Subterranean (something or another)Homesick Blues I think
It's Alright Mom, I'm Only Bleeding
Hurricane.
Now he's just... well...

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Bob Dylan's Greatest Hits album from the late sixties, early 70's, is the only thing of his that I have owned and truly treasured (it's the one with a photo of him on a blue cover).

But I do consider that among the best albums ever recorded, so the fact that I haven't purchased anything else by him doesn't really mean that I don't like him.

He just hasn't put out anything as good as that collection.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah. Nobody can carry a tune like Dylan can.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitz
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for Fitz   Email Fitz         Edit/Delete Post 
I love Dylan. I started a thread a while back about Martin Scorsese's documentary on Dylan, No Direction Home, and it got about two responses. Thus, I figure there aren't many Dylan fans on this board, as that was a major Dylan event. The documentary is great, highlighting his early years up to the release of Highway 61 Revisited in 1966, and the scorn he faced from Brits and other folkies when he went electric. Sure, his early years were his best and most prolific, but he also had some really sweet albums from the 70s, ie. Blood on the Tracks and Desire
Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gecko
Member # 8160

- posted      Profile for Gecko           Edit/Delete Post 
also Blonde on Blonde, which is one of his best albums.

I'd love to see a documentary of the same depth spanning from the 70s to now.

I still can't fathom how Scorsese got Dylan to do an interview after 20 years of silence

Posts: 340 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitz
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for Fitz   Email Fitz         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm thinking it's not really a matter of Scorsese "getting" Dylan to do anything, but more Dylan wanting to tell his story in his own words. Afterall, he has recently written the first volume in an autobiography called Chronicles.

According to IMDb, "Martin Scorsese never met Bob Dylan." Whether this means he never met him prior to the making of the film, or has never met him at all, I do not know, though I imagine they must have met or at least spoken by now.

Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
I like Bob Dylan. [Smile]
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lucy hummer
Member # 7740

- posted      Profile for lucy hummer   Email lucy hummer         Edit/Delete Post 
Chronicles is an amazing book, ok so I've only read half of it, but my parents bought it recently, and it is interesting.
Posts: 94 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silent E
Member # 8840

- posted      Profile for Silent E   Email Silent E         Edit/Delete Post 
Dylan's picture is in the dictionary under "overrated".
Posts: 202 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
I like Dylan's music a lot. Saw him in concert 3 years ago though. Didn't even acknowledge the existence of the audience.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't heard a lot of his music, but I have liked what I heard.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
Some favorite Dylan songs:

Tangled up in blue
To make you feel my love
The mighty quinn
Hard rain's a-gonna fall
Stuck inside of Mobile with the Memphis blues again
It's all over now, baby blue
House carpenter (?)

I'm a bigger fan of acoustic Dylan than electric. But then, I'm a bigger fan of acoustic anyone than electric.

Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

- posted      Profile for TheHumanTarget           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm kinda like Bob Dylan...just better looking...
Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omega M.
Member # 7924

- posted      Profile for Omega M.           Edit/Delete Post 
I've always found him too whiny to listen to, except maybe on "Mr. Tambourine Man." But I've liked the Bob Dylan songs I've heard done by Billy Joel ("The Times They Are a' Changing," "To Make You Fell My Love") and Rod Stewart ("Sweetheart like You"), so I guess he has something going for him.
Posts: 781 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lucy hummer
Member # 7740

- posted      Profile for lucy hummer   Email lucy hummer         Edit/Delete Post 
he really is great for covers, because his lyrics are great, if performed a different way.

I don't like the dylan cd I have (some live tour from the sixties), but I like the tape my dad has (highway 61)so I guess you have to explore.

Posts: 94 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by lucy hummer:
he really is great for covers, because his lyrics are great, if performed a different way.

True, but IMO he can't compare to Leonard Cohen. He's the epitome of beautiful songwriting and terrible performance (no disrespect intended to any Cohen fans out there).
Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lucy hummer
Member # 7740

I honestly don't think I've heard any Cohen.
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

Most people know him from the "Hallelujah" song that was everywhere a few years back. I heard it as the climax to at least three tv show episodes (west wing and a couple others, I can't remember) as well as on Shrek. It's a beautiful song, but when Cohen growls it in his deep, unmelodic bass voice I cringe. <edit> The popular covers were done by Rufus Wainwright and Jeff Buckley.</edit>

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.