FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Vampires

Author Topic: Vampires
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
One of my friends wrote a novel about vampires for NaNoWriMo. The introduction of vampires into the story was a bit of a surprise for her, so now she's editing and is looking for information about vampires. Does anyone know of any good sources of historical superstitions about vampires? Collections of legends or anything like that? All I can think of is Dracula, which is rather obvious.

I have to admit, I'm not just asking for her, I've been wondering for a while what the actual legends surrounding vampires are. It seems like all of the authors writing about them today just pick and choose what they like and make the rest up.

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
This episode of The X-Files has a hilarious take on vampires, and touches on their charisma, their obcessive-compulsiveness, and even mentions the fact that in one region, vampires were supposed to be redheads. [Wink]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Vampires have ocd?

Let's see.

Ocd, check.

Stays out of the sunlight, check.

Primarily nocturnal, check.

[Wink]

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Have you checked the character & realism board on NaNoWriMo? I saw a whole lot of vampire threads on there.
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a short story that blurs the line between vampirism and chronic depression. (Insomnia, tired all day, hates mirrors, etc.)

(My "Agent/Editor" gave it the following comment: I just love the ending. It is the best ending you've done. Now, we just need to change it so its not so depressing.)

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
Octavia Butler's newest book out, Fledgeling has a very interesting take on vampires.

Have you tried just surfing the net? A google search for "vampire myths" came up with a ton of interesting links, including this page.

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

- posted      Profile for sweetbaboo   Email sweetbaboo         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't think of the author but it's a fairly recent book titled The Historian that is all about vampires, Dracula and that sort.
Posts: 697 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aerto
Member # 8810

- posted      Profile for Aerto   Email Aerto         Edit/Delete Post 
Best somewhat realistic take on Vampires is I Am Legend by Richard Matheson. It attempts to make scientific explanations for some of the Vampire myths and dispels others. Worth a read.
Posts: 102 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
The Historian is by Elizabeth Kostova.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I've read The Historian I just don't know what parts of it are in line with other vampire stories. I'm really looking for myths and stuff. Not modern day interpretations, but what the modern day writers are basing their stories off of.

I did try a google book search and *shudder* there are some pretty creepy people out there.

Thanks Jhai and Aerto! I'll check those out.

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Octavia Butler's newest book out, Fledgeling has a very interesting take on vampires.
[Eek!] Octavia Butler has a new book out? [Hail]
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes she does! It's pretty good, although not my favorite of her works ... it seems too short, though.
Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
I still enjoy the Buffy/Angel take on vampires the best.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
It was pretty darn inconsistent. Whedon repeatedly sacrificed continuity and consistency in order to make things more convenient for the plot.

That that that's wrong -- it makes for a better story, but for a worse "world" and "mythology".

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
That's the strangest typo I think I've ever seen.

Does that even count as a typo?

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of vampires and ocd, Hubby notes that Japanese vampires can be deterred by scattering rice. The vampire will be compelled to count every grain before chasing you.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
Japanese vampires also detach their heads at night, and the head flies around to feed. They have to reattach to their bodies by sunrise. Or at least that's one type of vampire legend in Japan.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
Try The Vampire Book: The Encyclopedia of the Undead (1994) and The Vampire Gallery: A Who's Who of the Undead (1998), both by J. Gordon Melton.

For what it's worth, Melton is a religious historian with the Department of Religious Studies at UC Santa Barbara. I've don't know these books, but I've seen them fairly widely in libraries. I have used his writings on new religious movements for papers when I was in school, and found them to be fairly helpful, so these might be helpful, as well.

Oh, and EDIT: because I hit "post" instead of "italics". Teach me to get on the net so early in the morning (well, early for me). [Razz]

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toretha
Member # 2233

- posted      Profile for Toretha   Email Toretha         Edit/Delete Post 
Dude, I thought it was only the loup garou that was deterred by scattering rice so it would have to count it. Reason was different though, you scatter 13 grains, and it has to count them before it can pass but it can only count to twelve.
Posts: 3493 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Speaking of vampires and ocd, Hubby notes that Japanese vampires can be deterred by scattering rice. The vampire will be compelled to count every grain before chasing you.
Yup. That was how it came up in the episode-- Mulder threw sunflower seeds on the floor so the vampire would have to pick them up before attacking. Also, they mentioned that vampires can't stand a tied knot, have to untie it.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
Also, they mentioned that vampires can't stand a tied knot, have to untie it.

[Big Grin] And for the longest time after that episode aired, that was a joke between myself and my two best friends. We all worked together at the time, and if one of us noticed someone with a shoelace untied, they would be told that they must have a vampire following them.

Got a lot of odd looks. [Wink]

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luthe
Member # 1601

- posted      Profile for luthe   Email luthe         Edit/Delete Post 
Russian 0880(warning: pdf) has a list of books. And is a very enjoyable class if any of you are at Pitt
Posts: 1458 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

Porter, what did you think was inconsistent?

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Everything, almost....
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

[Roll Eyes]

If we can skip the condecention, I'd actually like to know, because aside from Angel and Spike and the oldest vampires on earth (the Master, Dracula, and that one cloven hoof guy) I don't see much that isn't consistent.

Ni

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
A friend and I came up with a vampire who was really worried about germs. He only liked artificial blood. He slept in a Tupperware coffin to keep freshness in. That sort of thing.
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
If we can skip the condecention, I'd actually like to know, because aside from Angel and Spike and the oldest vampires on earth (the Master, Dracula, and that one cloven hoof guy) I don't see much that isn't consistent.
The stories about Spike and Agel compose a huge percentage of the vampire lore on those shows. So saying that everything but them is mostly consistent isn't saying much.

Especially on Angel -- there just wasn't much vampire activity at all that didn't center on Angel (or Angel and Darla) or Spike.

But to answer your question -- I don't remember many specific inconsistencies. But I do remember time and time again as Beverly and I watched the show turning to each other and pointing out yet another inconsistency that we just saw.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.