FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » ok... now I'm concerned (medical thoughts appreciated)

Author Topic: ok... now I'm concerned (medical thoughts appreciated)
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been trying to lose weight by moderate dieting and heavy excercise (2500-ish calories a day, 150-180 minutes a week of solid cardiovascular exercise -- running, high-resistance elliptical work, punching bag work-- and some light push ups just to maintain some mucsle up top)

I would have a little success, but would inevitably get worn out and need to take up to a week off (muscle pain usually) and in that time would gain back a lot of what I had lost... I was still making progress though, so I wasn't too concerned.

I decided to change things up to make more progress about three weeks ago. Dropping my caloric intake to about 2000-2200 calories a day and dropping my workouts to about 90-120 minutes a week of cardio so as not to beat myself up so much and allow a steadier pattern of exercise. This has worked out very well, as my body seems to be holding together so far.

However, I just weighed in last night for the first time in those three weeks and I have gained 10 pounds. Yes, there's Thanksgiving in there and I didn't *count calories* that day, but I didn't have *that* much... basically one full (not heaping) plate at lunch, and one at dinner, with a small slice of pie in between.

I am now thinking there's something wrong... anyone know of a condition that would cause weight gain with a moderate caloric intake and serious cardio exercise program? I'm going to see a doctor, but I can't make an appointment till Monday and I would honestly like an idea of what might be going on. Type II diabetes runs in my father's side of the family... could that be it?

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm no doctor, but are you gaining muscle?
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, my mom lost inches but gained pounds the first six months when she first started really working out and reducing calories.

(That was before the doctor ordered her on a 1000 calorie a day diet.)

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Gaining 10 pounds in three weeks is more than healthy muscle mass.

Are you sure you're counting every calorie?

It's common to forget drinks, little snacks, or miscalculate restaurant calories.

About half that weight gain could be scale error -- you weighed yourself three weeks ago first thing in the morning and then yesterday you weighed after a full meal. Or something like that.

I'd guess you're maybe eating more than you think you are and it's some scale error.

If not I'd be a little concerned.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
It could also be partly water retention-- have you been watching your electrolytes and water intake? Does it to me every time...
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theaca
Member # 8325

- posted      Profile for Theaca   Email Theaca         Edit/Delete Post 
That doesn't sound serious to me. Diabetes doesn't cause weight gain without a change in diet although weight gain can lead to diabetes. Don't spend your weekend worrying about it. Reevaluate what you are eating and what sort of exercises you are doing, how your clothes are fitting you, reweigh in a couple days, consider talking to the doctor for exam and discussion of diet and exercise in the next few weeks.
Posts: 1014 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
How do your clothes fit? If they're looser, it's muscle gain--although as JT said, that's a lot in 3 weeks. I'd second his "scale error/calorie miscount" theory.
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
I think Miro's right. If you're losing fat and gaining muscle I heard you'll still be gaining weight. Muscle mass is heavier than fat.
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
You might want to add weight-training in there. It will boost your metabolism (something like each pound of muscle burns an extra 50 calories just be existing).
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

I know it's possible to gain muscle mass. My clothes were a little tighter for awhile, though they are loosening again the last few days. The thing is, I'm not doing any excercise that should cause serious muscle gain, it's all cardio except for the push ups, now. I was doing weights earlier in the year, but left off because I *was* building muscle mass, and I'm more concerned to get pressure off my knees by dropping weight.

I'm counting the calories pretty closely, but not perfectly. There might be some issues with the timing of the weigh in, but it disturbs me that I gained at all, much less a significant weight gain over a long enough time for it to be the opposite of the results I looked for... I was hoping to have dropped 2-3 lbs in that time, so there's really a pretty big swing between anticipated and actual results. On my prior program, I was losing about 1 lb a week, fairly steadily... it was just anytime I had to take a break, I'd put 3-4 right back on.

It really worries me that I'm having to push my body this hard and/or reduce my food intake this much to lose weight. I know 2000 calories is hardly starvation, but I was really hoping to be able to lose weight without dropping below that level and the initial 2500 calorie program was developed in conjunction with a personal trainer.

[Dont Know]

Oh well... I'll redo my math and double check the calorie info on my typical foods and see if there's something wrong there. Thanks for the help/reassurances...

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
I know 2000 calories is hardly starvation, but I was really hoping to be able to lose weight without dropping below that level and the initial 2500 calorie program was developed in conjunction with a personal trainer.

Sorry to say, calorie reduction at that level just doesn't work for everyone. Even on a 1,000 calorie a day diet designed by a nutritionist, my mom didn't lose any weight until she went back in and they designed a low-carb 1,000 calorie a day diet for her.
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, that's a good point. It can have a lot to do with how the calories are broken down (fats, carbs, protein) and the manner in which they're taken (one big meal = bad, many small meals = good).

Are you limiting saturated fats and refined carbs/sugars at all? Calories from these sources are more easily converted to fat (for storage) and if you take in too many it can lead to weight gain.

I don't trust the scale; I prefer to just go by how my clothes fit and how I look in the mirror to tell me how I'm doing. That way I don't sweat it if I gain a few pounds -- as long as I don't look different I don't worry about it.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

I was hoping to avoid the "carb" issue... as I've gotten conflicting advice from both doctors and nutritionists on it and all I've been able to determine is that both sides are pretty darned passionate about it.

I do know that the one time, since turning 30, I've been able to sustain weight loss without running myself into the ground was with a low carb diet -- almost exclusively green veggies and fairly lean meat cuts (a lot of lunches at Souper Salads in those days, lemme tell ya).

Edit: I have been, so far, avoiding refined sugars, but not carbs -- i.e. no sugared drinks, very few snack cakes or candies, but still eating fruits and multi-grain, high fiber, breads regularly.

El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

I don't think anyone's settled the "carb: good or evil" debate. I don't cut them, but I do monitor them. If I get 40% of my calories from carbs I figure that's alright, although I try not to eat them past 7 pm or so. In other words, if I'm not gonna have time to burn them off I avoid them. Then I also go about 30% protein (trying to avoid really fatty meats, but not always succeeding.) and the rest fat (but limiting saturated and trans fats).
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

*nods* I think part of my mom's issue is that given a choice, she would eat almost no meat and about 70% carbs to begin with.
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

the really ironic thing is my parents (who visited for Thanksgiving) made the unsolicited comment that I looked like I was losing weight... but again, my real concern is at my age (37) and with both knees previously injured and lacking in cartilage (from surgery) I really want to get the actual, physical, weight off of them. The kung fu work does a nice job of keeping them strong and well-supported (low stances and all that) but I want to ease the strain on them to facilitate my staying active for a long time to come and stave off the inevitable arthritis as long as possible.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Good plan, King. [Wink]
boogashaga
Member # 8881

- posted      Profile for boogashaga   Email boogashaga         Edit/Delete Post 
"We are two sedentary scientists. We hate diets and exercise. We want to have healthy, lean, muscular bodies without giving up our gourmet food, swivel chairs, and water beds. Of course, we always have something more interesting to do than exercise. We have taken seven years of our own research and hard thinking, and literally thousands of man-years of research and hard thinking from other scientists, and have developed a system that you are going to love, because all of this hard thinking is going to replace your hard work."

"We believe that you have been working far too hard to lose weight or to maintain your desired figure if you have been following conventional diet and exercise programs. Sweat is a poor substitute for knowledge."

"There is a much better way. You will have to think a little harder, but you will be rewarded by getting what you want with a lot less work."

"This is going to be far easier than you ever dreamed . . . "

Interested?

Posts: 101 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

well... when you put it that way, of course... but it sure smacks of a sales pitch, doesn't it?
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Yeah, I saw the "eat more, excercise less, and lose weight" ad on tv late last night while I was trying to stay awake and keep breathing. Sounds kinda the same to me...
boogashaga
Member # 8881

- posted      Profile for boogashaga   Email boogashaga         Edit/Delete Post 
"No matter how much you weigh, you should not be on a weight loss program! If you are fat, you should be on a fat loss program. There is a vital difference."

Is the Governor of California overweight? He is if you look at the conventional height/weight tables. Do you believe that it reasonable to say that he is "overweight?" I wish that I was THAT type of overweight!

What I posted before was the first page of Chapter One of a book that I discovered (by accident) in 1987. I used the program a year later and lost about 25 pounds of body fat in about 5-6 weeks. Note, I did NOT say that I lost 25 pounds of weight. Due to my love of Polish food (and Italian, Mexican, Chinese, Kosher, etc.), I am at the point where i am going to try the program again.

Here are details of the book:

Pearson, Durk, and Shaw, Sandy. The Life Extension Weight Loss Program: Lose Fat Without Dieting, Hunger, Or Exercise." Garden City, New York: Doubleday, 1986.

I bought my copy of it for about $1.00 in a used bookstore. I still have it. It gets somewhat technical and their safety appendix is about 50 pages long, but you CAN understand it if you go slow. Therer is a lot of stuff in it that is meant for doctors, so they need to be technical, I guess.

Anway, I am getting ready to start the program again (January 2006).

Posts: 101 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shawshank
Member # 8453

- posted      Profile for Shawshank   Email Shawshank         Edit/Delete Post 
Wouldn't losing 25 pounds of fat still be losing 25 pounds of weight? Because no matter how you classify what you lose in weight- it still be losing from your total weight. Unless you converted 25 pounds into all muscle...
Posts: 980 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
Is the Governor of California overweight?
Well, sometimes his head seems rather fat...
boogashaga
Member # 8881

Shawshank--I had my body composition measured by going underwater. I actually gained 3 pounds of muscle during that period. The total change measured by the scale did not account for the distinction between muscle gained and fat lost; it only relected the weight change. The GH releasers helped to force the metabolism into utilizing the body fat as an energy source as well as causing the body to build muscle. It is difficult to explain without getting into biochemistry, but it worked for me once. I am thinking that it will do so again!
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

thanks for the rec.... will check it out...

also thanks all, again, for your thoughts.

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jim-Me:
with both knees previously injured and lacking in cartilage (from surgery) I really want to get the actual, physical, weight off of them

Try sitting more. [Evil]
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
*nods* I think part of my mom's issue is that given a choice, she would eat almost no meat and about 70% carbs to begin with.

[Angst] I would never do that!
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamson
Member # 7808

- posted      Profile for Hamson   Email Hamson         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, doesn't seem like running would be a good idea if your trying to go easy on the knees (not trying to discourage you, just might suggest something like biking). Also, running, or biking, and cardio things should still increase your muscle mass. Shouldn't they?
Posts: 879 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiua
Member # 7825

- posted      Profile for aiua   Email aiua         Edit/Delete Post 
Swimming's lovely on the knees. And you don't get sweaty!
Posts: 1215 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Elliptical is good on the knees [Smile]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Swimming's lovely on the knees. And you don't get sweaty!
Laps with half-fins can be good for strengthening knees.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
I would never do that!
Me, neither. But she could totally live on bread, rice, fruits and veggies, if she wasn't a nurse and such. (Although every once in a while she'll get really anemic and buy a big 9 oz. steak and eat it medium-rare.)
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
That sounds nummy. I think I need some protein. Ummmmm.
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Me, too.

But then, I've been big on the protein cravings recently. I think it comes with being 19 weeks pregnant.

Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have that excuse. *twinkle*
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:

That's the way I eat. Mmmm, carbs. The best kind of food. I do eat some meat, because I make it for my husband, but I rarely crave it. I eat a lot of dairy. If we can afford it, I'll happily drink a gallon of milk in three days. Too bad milk is so expensive; we really need to get a cow.

No, I'm not overweight. Not anemic either; the Red Cross people always remark positively on my iron count when I donate blood. No, not taking any iron supplements, either.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

mmmmmmmeat...mmmmmmm...
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
I crave carbs like crazy, especially white bread and pasta. It's just so yummy.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.