FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Well, duh! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Well, duh!
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a box of sugar in my pantry that says in a big banner across the front "A Fat Free Food".

And I have a jar of mayonnaise that is similarly emblazoned "Zero Carbohydrates!"

My bottled water brags "Sodium Free".

Since when has anyone thought that sugar was fatty, mayonnaise sugary, and water salty?

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, non-distilled mineral water (and tap water in some areas) can be a significant source of sodium.

But yeah, that's aimed at stupid people.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Ketchupqueen -- no artificial sweeteners!
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jaiden
Member # 2099

- posted      Profile for Jaiden   Email Jaiden         Edit/Delete Post 
Homemade mayonnaise will sometimes have sugar in it (to balance the tartness of the lemon juice and help camouflage the oil)....

And some Chef's buy different concentrations of salt water for cooking with....

[Taunt]
[Kiss]

Posts: 944 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
That always bothers me... Low in carbohydrates indeed...
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Yup. People are dumb.

It's my motto. [Razz]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Eeeew. I hate artificial sweetners. (Except aspartame, which I don't mind, but avoid anyway because if you eat too much it can leech the calcium from your bones!)
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
didn't you just know that starting this post would get the ball rolling on everybody pointing out that there is a trace amount of sodium in water, sugar in mayo and fat in sugar? Do we always have to go down the mr obvious route in our society? I am not being snarky, I really do this too, I can't control the impulse sometimes to point out the blindingly obvious, but I feel like such a jerk when I do it!
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theaca
Member # 8325

- posted      Profile for Theaca   Email Theaca         Edit/Delete Post 
I found the follow up posts educational, myself...
Posts: 1014 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
Or those bags of peanuts with 'PEANUTS!' written across the front in big silver letters and, in tiny writing on the back 'may contain nuts'. Things like that just scare me.
Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Tante, I always have the exact same reaction to those labels. [Roll Eyes] Those marketers surely are counting on a dumb public!
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Bella Bee:
Or those bags of peanuts with 'PEANUTS!' written across the front in big silver letters and, in tiny writing on the back 'may contain nuts'. Things like that just scare me.

I think that one's more the company covering their rear so they don't get sued by some greedy idiot.

But those others...I just shake my head in wonder and dismay. [Dont Know]

Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
My favorites are the signs over the cheese section in grocery store that proclaim Low or No Carbs!

Um yeah.. just pure fat. Go ahead, gnaw on a big chunk. You'll lose a ton of weight. I swear.

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
No, butter is (mostly) pure fat. Depending on what type of milk it is made from (cream, whole, X% or skim), cheese can be very low in fat. Also, some breeds of goat have naturally lowfat milk (around 1-2%) so cheese made from that milk would also be lowfat.

<--loves dairy

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Yeah, my Planter's Mixed Nuts with Peanuts has a warning on the back -- Warning: Contains Nuts and Peanuts.

I'd have been shocked if it didn't.

xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought the "may contain nuts" thing is because peanuts are actually a legume, and by "nuts" they are referring to tree nuts. Which there may be traces of in the bag of peanuts because of how the processing plant is set up (machines used for multi purposes, and stuff like that).

I'm trying to google to back this up. Will link sources if I find them.

Linky. Talks about the difference in peanut allergy vs. tree nut allergies and why cross-contamination is a problem in manufacturing plants. Doesn't specifically mention the "may contain nuts" warning on bags of peanuts, though.

Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
I like labels that say things like "93% Fat-Free." I guess that's a better selling point than "7% Fat!"

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

The bottle of water I had today boasted "zero calories"!
Pelegius
Member # 7868

- posted      Profile for Pelegius           Edit/Delete Post 
What I find awful is that Coke and Sprite now have "Coke Zero" and "Sprite Zero" which have"0 carbs, 0 sugar and 0 calories." In other words, they are diet.
Posts: 1332 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a bigger fan of the epidemic of "0g Trans Fats" labels. Especially on things that don't contain partially hydrogenated oils.
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luthe
Member # 1601

- posted      Profile for luthe   Email luthe         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Pelegius:
What I find awful is that Coke and Sprite now have "Coke Zero" and "Sprite Zero" which have"0 carbs, 0 sugar and 0 calories." In other words, they are diet.

Yes, but people are use to diet product still having a few calories, and using aspertame(sp?) for their sweetener. So the newer products based on splenda are attempting to differentiate themeselves from the older diet products.
Posts: 1458 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
So, splenda works because it's a type of sugar that the human body can't process, right? What if there is a subset of the human race that can break down splenda? So, they eat lots of splenda-sweetened foods and get really fat? Is that possible?
Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
I've discovered that my body doesn't like Splenda. I get nauseous about a half hour after drinking anythign with it, and I've tried a couple different prepackaged sodas as well as packets of the stuff in my tea. Plus I think it has a bit of a funny aftertaste to it in my tea, hard to tell with sodas if that's the cause or if it's the soda itself.

I'll stick to the pink stuff in my tea now ... as long as the office manager remembers to keep it on hand.

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Splenda tastes strongly of burnt rubber or plastic to me and my father. I won't go near it.
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Splenda > Nutrasweet.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luthe
Member # 1601

- posted      Profile for luthe   Email luthe         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mr.Funny:
So, splenda works because it's a type of sugar that the human body can't process, right? What if there is a subset of the human race that can break down splenda? So, they eat lots of splenda-sweetened foods and get really fat? Is that possible?

I believe I have read a short story or two about a scientist inventing a machine that makes him able to only proccess right handed sugers, rather than the left that we normal people use.
Posts: 1458 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

In my supermarket, there is "Coke Zero" and "Pepsi One". I keep hanging out in the beverage aisle, to see how the match ends.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Dr. Pepper kills them both.
smitty
Member # 8855

- posted      Profile for smitty   Email smitty         Edit/Delete Post 
Amen kq!

When I went on WW and actually started reading labels, I loved the ones that say "1/3 Less Fat" - Of course, 1/3 less is still 3 times more than the RDA...

My dad is diabetic, and has to watch those "No Sugar Added!" labels. It can be pure sugar, and still have "No Sugar Added"

Posts: 880 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

My favorite was the pricey organic drink that was sweetened with "evaporated organic cane juice" instead of sugar. Now, what is "evaporated cane juice"?

Sugar.

pH
Member # 1350

Also, Pepsi One is far superior to any form of Coke.

Splenda Pepsi...so tasty.

Also, why don't we have Fresca in the South? I think I'm addicted.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian J. Hill
Member # 5346

- posted      Profile for Brian J. Hill   Email Brian J. Hill         Edit/Delete Post 
Fresca is by far the best 0-calorie soft drink. It isn't too popular in VA, so it's very rare when it goes on sale. But when it does, I buy 4 or 5 12-packs.

And saying
quote:
Splenda > Nutrasweet
is kinda like saying
quote:
death by guillotine > death by disembowelment

Posts: 786 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty
Member # 8855

What, they're both unpleasant?
Posts: 880 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

"Unpleasant" would be an understatement.
pH
Member # 1350

I like Splenda a lot, really. And it takes less to make coffee sweet enough for me to drink, so I don't look like a complete psycho dumping sixteen packets of sugar in my small hazelnut coffee.

-pH

smitty
Member # 8855

For death in general, or Splenda?
smitty
Member # 8855

pH, my wife wanted to like Splenda for exactly that reason, but it doesn't do good things to her insides. I just started mumbling "psycho" under my breath now instead of screaming it, and it seems to make her happy [Smile] Of course, I still smirk when she asks for ketchup with her steak, kq [Big Grin]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
Of course, I still smirk when she asks for ketchup with her steak, kq
Well, that's your problem, not hers. [Razz]
smitty
Member # 8855

[Smile] I'm sure she agrees.
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
so I don't look like a complete psycho dumping sixteen packets of sugar in my small hazelnut coffee.

Not to be prejudiced, but if I saw someone dumping 16 packs of sugar in her small coffee, I'd assume she was a psycho or an addict.

And hazelnut, by the way, is an awful thing to do to coffee. Makes it smell like smelly feet. And gives it a nasty artificial flavor. What is wrong with coffee smelling and tasting like its own delicious self?

I like coffee, I like tea, I like the Java Jive and it likes me.

romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm a bigger fan of the epidemic of "0g Trans Fats" labels. Especially on things that don't contain partially hydrogenated oils.
I'd like to see manufacturers forced to put the g of trans fats in big letters on the front. How fast would the consumers force them to go no trans fats then?
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Coffee and tea and the jivin' and me,
A cup a cup a cup a cup a cup.

Tante, look what you did to me.

Griffin
Member # 7166

- posted      Profile for Griffin   Email Griffin         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Orincoro:
didn't you just know that starting this post would get the ball rolling on everybody pointing out that there is a trace amount of sodium in water, sugar in mayo and fat in sugar? Do we always have to go down the mr obvious route in our society? I am not being snarky, I really do this too, I can't control the impulse sometimes to point out the blindingly obvious, but I feel like such a jerk when I do it!

That's interesting, do you feel like a jerk when you point out the obvious or when you point out pointing out the obvious. Because there's nothing wrong with helping people see the obvious. I can be stupid sometimes too. Everyone is dumb at something, common. It's only wrong when you tell someone else to stop saying the obvious when they're helping someone else learn. Or it's wrong when they say the obvious to make a point, and you say it's stupid. But when it comes to the government, media, and big corporations, it's never wrong to point out thier flaws.

Griffin

Posts: 131 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:

Tante, look what you did to me.

:Dances and twirls with KQ: [Big Grin]
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

I didn't think that song was big in LDS circles. Who knew?
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
my wife wanted to like Splenda for exactly that reason, but it doesn't do good things to her insides
I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one who reacts badly to the stuff. I'm sorry to know that anyone, including myself, does, but I'm glad to know that if I gotta have issues, at least I'm not alone...
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
Tante, I thought of you today at the produce mart, when I picked up bananas with a "Fat Free Food!" sticker.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Shoot me the pot, and I'll pour me a shot.

Were I the one designing packaging, I'd definitely put "zero carbs!" on everything that has none to begin with, purely for the added revenue. If there's enough market for low carb food that PASTA companies are making "low carb" versions of their products...well, that says something.

Namely, that people are idiots.

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mimsies
Member # 7418

- posted      Profile for mimsies   Email mimsies         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I personally think that Coke zero tastes better than reguar diet coke. Diet coke wth lime isn't too bad though. My mom likes diet coke with splenda... babbling

edit spelling

Posts: 772 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:

I didn't think that song was big in LDS circles. Who knew?

[ROFL] Actually, I know it from my 10th grade Pops Concert (the spring concert of popular [or once popular] and popular-ish music-- as opposed to the one where we sang Broadway tunes and choral pieces.) It was performed by the Charismatics, the school's top a cappela group. [Smile]
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.