FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » TMBG Kids music

Author Topic: TMBG Kids music
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I just ordered Sasha a couple of Christmas presents (though the Hatrack Amazon link, your welcome sirs) of They Might Be Giant kids music. Am I correct in happilly saying this will be something that we can both enjoy? (I can only listen to Mary Had A Little Lamb so many times before going postal)
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steev
Member # 6805

- posted      Profile for Steev           Edit/Delete Post 
Which album did you order? Their CD "Here Come The ABCs" won't be released until February.

EDIT: never mind I've been out of it for awhile. It is already out.

Posts: 527 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
"Here Come The ABCs" is released. I ordered it, and saw it at Borders (in the kids section) yesterday.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steev
Member # 6805

- posted      Profile for Steev           Edit/Delete Post 
Well if you've ever heard any of their "adult" albums and liked them then you will like the stuff they do for kids. They don't change their style at all they just do songs that are more accessible to the young ones.
Posts: 527 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
My daughter loves "Flood". And I don't mind it, either. [Big Grin] Maybe I should add this to our Christmas list.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Christy and I own "Here Come the ABCs" and "No!" -- and love both of them. [Smile] We also strongly recommend Boynton's "Philadelphia Chickens."
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
I have their children's album "No!", and I'd say that while it's not as entertaining to me as their regular adult albums, I do actively enjoy many of the songs on it. If I had a child, I could definitely stand the many repeated listenings children subject their parents to.

This Might Be of interest; it's from their official website. "F", for those of you unfamiliar with the band, stands for John Flansburgh, and "L" for John Linnell.

quote:
Do you think kids need music created specifically for them?

F: That's a good question. Except for obscenity or overt [sic] maybe that's your answer.

quote:
Why couldn't they listen to their parents' TMBG? Or then again, why couldn't their parents listen to their kids' TMBG? What's with the segregation?

L: One of the reasons we got into kids' music is that parents had been playing our "adult" records for their kids, much of which they seemed to think was appropriate. However there's a raft of topics that we get into that I think are either over the kids' heads (divorce, alienation), uninteresting (midlife worries, obscure historical figures), or totally inappropriate (substance abuse, violent death, Edith Head).

quote:
A lot of bands do a semi-unplugged folksy thing when they create for kids, but not you -- have you any regard for children's eardrums?

F: I suspect kids like the energy of all kinds of music, and it's only some parent's projection of what is "nice" for kids that makes it such a gentle genre. Danny our bass player's son responds very positively to the Ramones. Not softening our sound probably plays in to why kids respond to our stuff, but, you know, the listener really determines the volume, so that's kind of up to the kid. Somewhere Barney is probably being played at 130 db.

quote:
Have you had any responses from your first-wave adult fans -- now parents?

F: It's generally positive. The only down side is that some people can't understand that we are actually doing two different things. Parents not down with that. Crowd surfing and piggyback rides are both fun, but they should never happen at the same time.

quote:
What do you think makes your music appealing to children?

F: We might be the worst judges of that. We only think of how our songs are going to work with our audiences- young or old- in the most general way. There are some things about the way we make kids music, like we don't make it any more gentle than our adult music, that might help us get past some kids' intuitive "jive" filter. I do remember as a kid finding the hushed tones of "kids' music" kind of bogus, but I was a kid pretty in love with rock music.

Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
I've never heard They Might Be Giants. What are some of their best songs?
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Start with two albums: Flood, and Apollo 18.

If you really want to just do songs, I can't help you 'cuz there are just too many, they're all different, and I wouldn't want to think that their stuff is all like one thing or another.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Our favorite kids' cds:

Rosenshontz

Priscilla Herdman: Star Dreaner was my fave

Dan Zanes and Friends

Jerry Garcia/Dave Grisman: Not for Kids Only

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
I had to drive from NY to North Carolina with my son (we took two days, so as not to overextend ourselves) and listened to "Here come the ABCs" over and over again. I wouldn't suggest *that*, but the first three times was (were?) great. *G* My son (7 y.o.) particularly enjoys "C is for Conifer". I myself like "E eats everything".

I also bought the Veggietales CDs, but since Christopher thinks those are 'for babies', I only listened to them when he was watching movies on the portable DVD player with headphones. *G*

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Bob: I agree with starting with Flood, but how can you not recommend Lincoln?

*starts a TMBG Holy War*

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite off "No" is "I am not your Broom". I sing it every time I sweep anything. It is charming and wonderful. "I've had enough I'm throwing off my chains of servitude."
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tarrsk
Member # 332

- posted      Profile for Tarrsk           Edit/Delete Post 
GaalDornick, start with "Ana Ng" (off "Lincoln") and "Birdhouse in Your Soul" (off "Flood"). Those are two of the finest songs ever written, in my opinion, and best sum up TMBG's unique take on rock 'n roll- witty, often non-sensical lyrics about life, death, love, and whatever comes into their heads, set to some of the catchiest tunes ever written.
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Like I said, we only have "Flood", and Emma's favorite song on it? "Particle Man". (We like it, too. We all sing along to it on repeat when she's starting to get grumpy.)
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
The quick answer is "They wrote the theme song for 'Malcolm in the Middle' and the only song of theirs that sometimes gets played on standard radio is 'Istanbul (Not Constantinople)', both of which, like their other music, are maddeningly addictive."

The long answer is really, really long, but Tarrsk did a nice capsule summary.

[ December 05, 2005, 03:32 AM: Message edited by: Chris Bridges ]

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
I always find myself singing "Everybody wants a rock to wind a piece of string around."

Also from "Flood".

Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
"Someone in this town
Is trying to burn the foreheads down
They want to stop the ones who want prosthetic foreheads on their heads"

Anyway, along with Flood and Lincoln, you must get the Pink Album. It's the one just called "They Might Be Giants", but the cover is pink, so it's known as the Pink Album.

I have a 2 CD set called "Then and Now", which has Pink and Lincoln and lots of bonus tracks. It's amazingly good.

"In the morning hours, 'round seven o'clock
The parking lot fills at Toys R Us
And my little girl, she will get away
Drive her bike down
Toddler highway
Save your Close n' Play
Toddler highway"

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of kids' songs, there's a great radio show from a local college station, WERS (Emerson College radio) called The Playground. 3 hours each on Saturday/Sunday, 5pm-8pm (Eastern Time). They play new stuff, obscure stuff, cheezy stuff, classic stuff. I've heard Weird Al, TMBG, MAry Poppins, VeggieTales, you name it. If you are in the Boston area, it's at 88.9FM, but they also have a live stream at their site. They also have past playlists, and hopefully soon they'll have archived shows.

ketchupqueen, on the aforementioned Then and Now 2 CD set (which includes TMBG's first 2 albums, plus extras, including their EP "Miscellaneous T" [The section in music stores their albums were usually filed under early on in their career [Smile] ]), they actually have as the last song on CD 2 (the one with Lincoln), a version of Particle Man done by some 2nd or 3rd grade class. It's straight from a tape they received from the teacher. [Smile]

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

- posted      Profile for sweetbaboo   Email sweetbaboo         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank Bokonon! Just moved to the Boston area and have kids who like music, The Playground sounds perfect.
Posts: 697 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

My wife and I (we don't have kids currently) listen to it whenever we can. You get random surprises like the Gummi Bears or original TMNT cartoon theme songs sometimes, which is always fun. [Smile]

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

- posted      Profile for sweetbaboo   Email sweetbaboo         Edit/Delete Post 
Any other things I should know about in the Boston area Bok? (I realize that's quite a question but sometimes when you don't even know what to ask, you have to start somewhere?)
Posts: 697 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pat
Member # 879

- posted      Profile for Pat   Email Pat         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't worry Dan. Both of those albums are Floodesque in their creativity, execution, and wit. The fact that I can listen to them with all my kids is just dang awesome.
Posts: 1800 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
My three and four year olds love the DVD. I took them to the concert they did at Ameoba Records in LA when the album came out.

Here're some samples of the songs and videos.

Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

There's a show on Disney called "Higglytown Heroes" that my daughter is totally addicted to. The theme is sung by TMBG.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
A User's Guide to They Might Be Giants has all you need for a good introduction.

My son and I love to listen to it together (he's a teenager). He taught his five-year-old cousin "Doctor Worm", and it was a big hit.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

"No one in the world ever gets what they want
And that is beautiful
Everybody dies frustrated and sad
And that is beautiful."

I'm not 100% sure why this is considered a child friendly TMBG song. That's from "Don't Let's Start". "They'll Need a Crane" has these:

"And there's a restaurant we should check out where the other nightmare people like to go
I mean nice people -- baby wait, I didn't mean to say nightmare."

"Lad looks at other gals
Gal thinks Jim Beam is handsomer than lad"

I mean, I love TMBG. But if you're picking out songs that are kid-friendly, a better job can be done, no?

Bokonon
Member # 480

Heh, that first quote is one of my faves... And They'll Need A Crane is one of my favorite songs.

Another fave quote, from Ana Ng:

quote:

When I was driving once I saw this painted on a bridge:
"I don't want the world, I just want your half"

-Bok

EDIT: Create a separate thread, telling me where you are, sb, and I'll help you the best I can.

Tarrsk
Member # 332

- posted      Profile for Tarrsk           Edit/Delete Post 
That bridge from "They'll Need a Crane" consists of my favorite TMBG lyrics of all. Somehow, Linnell takes that awkwardly realistic sentence and makes it extraordinarily tuneful- and soulful.

Other favorite lines:

Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders
What the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of

-from "Where Your Eyes Don't Go," off "Lincoln"

-------
Never to part since the day we met
Out on Interstate 91
I was bent metal you were a flaming wreck
When we kissed at the overpass

I was sailing along with the people
Driving themselves to distraction inside me
Then came a knock on the door which was odd
And the picture abruptly changed

At the end of the tour
When the road disappears
If there's any more people around
When the tour runs aground
And if you're still around
Then we'll meet at the end of the tour

The engagements are booked through the end of the world
So we'll meet at the end of the tour

-from "The End of the Tour," off "John Henry"

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
Uh, guys? That "two line maximum" rule doesn't just apply to our lyrics game, you know. There are legal reasons we have it, and it covers the whole board.
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.