FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I got a job...temp as it may be. (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: I got a job...temp as it may be.
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
People who get married get all these great wedding gifts to fill a house with.
Yeah but if they want people to give them gifts, then they have to a party, invitations, pictures, flowers, food, cake, etc. Unless somebody else is paying for those things, you'd probably be better off financially buying your own gifts. Or you could charge your wedding guests and have a for-profit wedding. [Razz]

And congrats ketchups!

Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so glad for y'all!

Those knives sure do sound sexy.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Our wedding cost a grand total of $720, not including travel expenses (which my husband's parents mostly paid) but including the dress, rings, cake, other refreshments/serving stuff, invitations, etc., etc.

We definitely got gifts worth more than we spent, although I can't begin to total up the value. All our dishes, silverware, towels, shower curtains, pots and pans, other cooking stuff, two crockpots, iron and ironing board, glasses, table linens, bathroom accessories, sheets and comforter... And on and on, not even including the thousands of dollars in cash and checks and Target gift cards. We have a lot of generous friends and family. Point is, weddings don't have to be that expensive to be great.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KetchupPrinceConsort
Member # 8047

- posted      Profile for KetchupPrinceConsort   Email KetchupPrinceConsort         Edit/Delete Post 
Update: The job is going pretty well. I am learning all kinds of new things. It turns out that Cuto has its own gift registry for weddings, birthdays, and anniversaries! KQ would have loved to know that BEFORE we got married.

I was offered the Assistant Manager position with one condition...I need to sell $25,000 worth of Cutco from now until May. It is not impossible to do, but it will be very hard (unless I can find a lot of soon-to-be-married people that want knives as a gift). The position pays a salary plus commission on sales, that would help with the new Ketchup packet on the way.

So, any thoughts, prayers, good vibes, etc. would be appreciated.

Posts: 137 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I hope it works out for you.

I have heard a lot of good things about the Cutco stuff, although I hate their marketing methods.

Best of luck! [Big Grin]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

quote:
Originally posted by Dante:
quote:
o_O How old are you?
Thirty-one, living by myself, and working at a Ph.D. program. At this point, I'd feel a little guilty having a 20-something-style wedding with lots of gifts.

On the other hand, I could use them (as anyone who has seen my big empty apartment could testify).

I got married at 33 My wife was x-y years old if you ask her [Big Grin] ), and we had a big wedding. Not huge, but a full blown one.

It was my first wedding, so I don't feel guilty about it one bit. [Big Grin]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll keep you in my prayers, KPC. [Smile]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
KPC:

if there are any wedding shows in your vicinity, you might be able to show the knives there, maybe have a drawing for a giveaway - but that would get potential brides registering for the knives. We've got a wedding show in my area this coming Sunday, which is why I thought of it.

Another possibility - a small business fair. We have one in our area in September called Fall Fest. Tupperware and Pampered Chef people are there along with artists and crafters selling their work. (And other kinds of small businesses.)

We occasionally have a Taste of Home demo in our area, and I think other companies can display there, too. I think those have been in the early spring in the past.

That's all I can pick out of my tired brain. I hope there's something useful in it for you. [Wink]

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Cutco typically always has some sort of presence at those types of things.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Yep...and that presence could be him! [Big Grin]

I love my Rada knives, myself. [Big Grin] We have several of their items, and we love them all.

I have never been able to slice a tomato so thin before. [Wink]

I have heard Cutco is great stuff though.

krynn
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for krynn   Email krynn         Edit/Delete Post 
hmm, some of my friends used to do the same thing. its a good temporary job. dont let it slip into a permenant one tho. if youa re part of a more affluent social area, then u can really make a killing selling that stuff. if not, sales might be slow. regardless, i really hope it goes well with you, and i hope u do great at it.

BTW: dont ever be nervous. most potential buyers wont mind if u have to pull out your book to look something up during an interview. my friend had to do that a couple times and he said no one really cared and that they liked the fact that he carried his manual with him.

Posts: 813 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.