FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Hatrack reply function is screwy today?

Author Topic: The Hatrack reply function is screwy today?
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
I can't reply to anything.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silent E
Member # 8840

- posted      Profile for Silent E   Email Silent E         Edit/Delete Post 
That's what you think.
Posts: 202 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty
Member # 8855

- posted      Profile for smitty   Email smitty         Edit/Delete Post 
I've had to hit "add reply" twice on occasion, but I assumed I was just messing up
Posts: 880 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't see what you mean.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty
Member # 8855

I've had to hit "add reply" twice on occasion, but I assumed I was just messing up

now for example

Posts: 880 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty
Member # 8855

now for example

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
It's busted.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
No, you can. You just don't THINK you can, so you wind up replying eighteen times.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I was having the same problem, and may still be.

Here goes...

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
Works for me
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

Don't you see what I mean?
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

Silent E
Member # 8840

- posted      Profile for Silent E   Email Silent E         Edit/Delete Post 
Now, why would you think you're messing up?
Posts: 202 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't seem to post.

[/pointlessattempt]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

I can't seem to post.

[/pointlessattempt]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty
Member # 8855

now for example

MrSquicky
Member # 1802

I don't mean what you see.
smitty
Member # 8855

wow, I'll stop hitting it, didnt' realize it was doing that
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

MrSquicky
Member # 1802

See what? I don't mean you.
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a thing happen that I'd never seen before. I wrote a reply, clicked "Add Reply", and watched the browser spin. Eventually I got tired of waiting, stopped the browser, and just went back to surfing other people's posts. About a half hour later, my post appeared. It was definitely not there when I first resumed surfing (well, actually, it could have been, but the thread's post count didn't change for about a half hour).
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

Daisy...Daisy...Give me your answer do...

[ December 06, 2005, 04:17 PM: Message edited by: MrSquicky ]

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
It's SLOW. But it works. What's happening is that people don't realize the server has seen their request and hit "Post Reply" some time later, usually too late for flood control to prevent their double -- or triple -- post.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
The other odd thing is that there is a rather long delay between the time you push add or edit, get kicked-out with 504 error, return to the forum, then see the edit or reply.
Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, it seems to be at least a little buggy.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
There seems to be about a 20 minute delay between the post time and the time it appears in the forum. Is that possible?
Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
It's Squicky vs. Bizarro-Squicky.

'Me reply post you, Squicky!'

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty
Member # 8855

Well, Tom, I kinda notice that now.
smitty
Member # 8855

oh, there's just a really long delay, that's the problem
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, that is my experience, too. I fought the urge to hit reply more than once. My post showed up only once. So Far.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aerto
Member # 8810

- posted      Profile for Aerto   Email Aerto         Edit/Delete Post 
Porteiro: Just hit reply once, wait a bit and then go back to the message board. Your replies should then appear after a while. Hitting add reply multiple times doesn't do any good.
Posts: 102 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
Happened to me once already. Today is Patience Day on the Hatrack Webserver...
Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
Testing...123
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Not that simple, Tom. I have replies that I only hit once that still haven't shown up.

(In other browser windows.)

Icarus
Member # 3162

Actually, I'm finding that hitting reply multiple times does help.

My posts get multiplied, but they go through faster.

As a test, I have another reply pending to this thread that I typed up about ten minutes ago (4:11) that has not posted yet. Let's see if my multi-post of this reply gets through faster.

Icarus
Member # 3162

Hmm . . . actually it would seem that hitting the reply button multiple times pushes your earlier replies through faster. I have posts that have been hung up until I try to post something else in the same thread--to to double post.
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
its very strange ... I accidently posted something 3 times. At least this alleviates my embarassment to know that its not only happening to me.
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I clicked the button to save an edit at about 2:35. The edit time is 3:08. My clock is within a minute of the forum's.

Weirdness.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

My 4:11 reply went through the moment I hit reply on my 4:22 post.

Interesting . . .

Icarus
Member # 3162

My 4:11 reply went through the moment I hit reply on my 4:22 post.

Interesting . . .

Aerto
Member # 8810

- posted      Profile for Aerto   Email Aerto         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Icarus:
Hmm . . . actually it would seem that hitting the reply button multiple times pushes your earlier replies through faster. I have posts that have been hung up until I try to post something else in the same thread--to to double post.

Well, ok then. Yet another example of "I don't know what the heck I'm talking about." Still, multiple posts are annoying. (Please let me be right about that, this blind squirrel needs to find a nut)
Posts: 102 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

quote:

I have replies that I only hit once that still haven't shown up.

That's baffling. I haven't double-posted yet, but my posts are still obviously showing up. Perhaps hitting "add reply" in any thread has this effect, even if you're not waiting on a post in that thread?
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Testing Tom's theory at 5:07.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I haven't been able to edit or delete anything, so

I've deleted the test sentence which was above completing the 'so' and edited in this one

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

That may be, Tom.
cheiros do ender
Member # 8849

- posted      Profile for cheiros do ender   Email cheiros do ender         Edit/Delete Post 
If it seems to take forever to load, that's the loading to the "thank you for posting...." screen. Today, at least, don't bother waiting until it's finished loading if it's taking for ever (like in my experience where I had 5 posts in one [Blushing] ), and don't click more than once. It's not worth deleting them all afterwards. It will show up in a few minutes after you've closed off.
Posts: 1138 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
So everyones running up there post counts today by posting the same things multiple times. lol. When you do that and then delete the posts does it still show up on your post counter thingermajig?
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Unless the latest version of the forum software has changed this, then yes, it does count.
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, it does count. Just tested it.
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.