FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Financial Software Suggestions

Author Topic: Financial Software Suggestions
BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

- posted      Profile for BaoQingTian   Email BaoQingTian         Edit/Delete Post 
I was wondering what financial software people here used and how they liked it. I'm mainly looking at Quicken 2006 Deluxe and MS Money Deluxe 2006. I'm especially interested in the opinions of those who have tried both. I'm swayed toward Money because I have a Dell Axim running PocketPC 2002 and I'd like to be able to add transactions with it and sync.

If anyone has any really awesome financial software from another company I would be happy to consider it. I'm mainly just considering the big two because my experience with small companies products is 0 support in 2 years and the product has disappeared.

My financial situation: 25 years old, married, recent college graduate in engineering with student loans.

Recommendations?

Posts: 1412 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I use Quicken, and can attest that it works great. Every review I've read comparing Quicken and Money in the last 4 years or so has said that there's no reason to switch from one to the other. So if you won't be switching, and have a reason to use Money, I'd guess Money is good.

But that's not first-hand info. The only first-hand info I have is "Quicken rocks."

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

- posted      Profile for BaoQingTian   Email BaoQingTian         Edit/Delete Post 
Does is sync to portable devices Dag? I haven't been able to find a yes or no on that on the web
Posts: 1412 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, but it costs extra.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I use Excel. [Embarrassed]

And yes, it syncs with my PocketPC.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Historian
Member # 8858

- posted      Profile for Historian   Email Historian         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Icarus:
I use Excel. [Embarrassed]

And yes, it syncs with my PocketPC.

I'm sure that helps him a lot

+1 Icarus

Anywho...

I've used Money for 4 years because it syncs so easily with the Pocket PC, not to mention my Bank. I have multiple accounts with one bank and it handles it quite well.

Though I would recomend getting a version prior to the current release as it will save you money and you don't really get that many extra features. I'm still running Money 2004.

Posts: 80 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Historian:
I'm sure that helps him a lot

+1 Icarus

Anywho...

[Confused]

-1 Icarus

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I use Money, especially in conjunction with PDA usage and online banking, and like it quite a lot.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
You don't mention your purpose in using it. Is it to keep track of personal finances, or are you planning to use it to keep track of small business finances, or what? Yes, it does make a difference.

If you're talking about personal finances only, or even adding a hobby business with only occasional income from other sources, then either of those two are perfectly fine.

If you're planning on using it to keep track of small business income, then I would tend to go with something like Quickbooks or Peachtree simply because they're set up to handle Accounts Receivable and Accounts Payable properly and more easily, whereas Quicken and Money are not (or, were not in the latest incarnations that I used).

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
I've used Quicken for the past two years and I love it. I like being able to look at its reports of where I spend my money. [Smile]
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.