FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » CS Job Search Ended (Updated 4/28) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: CS Job Search Ended (Updated 4/28)
Swampjedi
Member # 7374

- posted      Profile for Swampjedi   Email Swampjedi         Edit/Delete Post 
I need a bit of info - I have a few people offering me contract stuff, and they want a hourly rate. I have no idea, though I am about to start searching.

Anyone have a quick answer? Xavier?

Posts: 1069 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll ask a friend who's done some contract stuff as soon as he comes back in the lab...

In the mean time, what kind of contract stuff is this?

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swampjedi
Member # 7374

Thank you. I am posting a Java Developer resume online, so I assume it's Java/J2EE stuff. The emails I have recieved are very vague.
Posts: 1069 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
Haha, I have no idea.

If you take my yearly salary, and divide by 52, then divide by 40, it comes out to about 27 dollars an hour.

When I started here about 11 months ago, it would have been about 22 dollars an hour.

But that's salary, not contract work. I think contract work generally pays more. Plus you need to factor in that you have a Master's Degree, and I only had a BS. Also, this is a small company, and they generally pay less. My benefits are pretty nice as well.

So yeah, I have no clue. Most of the developers here used to do contract work, but that was years ago.

One thing I should point out is that contractors can charge more for you work if you have desirable certifications. Get Java certified at least (if you are not). It shouldn't be very hard. Being certified doesn't make your work any better, but it does get you more pay in the contracting world. Plus it would help get more interviews.

I'm not Java certified, but I wish I had been when I was doing my job search. My company offers a $100 bonus when you get a new certification, so that should motivate me to get it at some point.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swampjedi
Member # 7374

I do want to get certified, at some point.
Xavier
Member # 405

I would do it before taking any contracting work. It shouldn't be very hard to pass, only costs 50 bucks or so (plus maybe another 50-100 for practice materials if you aren't confident), and when you get it, your contracting rate goes up by a substantial margin. It would be an investment that pays off big time, and after a very short amount of time [Smile] .
Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swampjedi
Member # 7374

Alright, thank you. I'll start on that after tomorrow (interview for a full time Java position in Atlanta with qualifications that I exceed).
Xavier
Member # 405

Wow, awesome. Good luck [Big Grin] .
Swampjedi
Member # 7374

Thanks Xavier. I'll post here tomorrow, after I am done being 'evaluated' by their CTO.

They have a 60 minute test of technical skills, for goodness sake.

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
You said they are very vague -- are they for sure companies offering you contract work? Or are these headhunter guys, trying to sign you up and then farm you out as contract through them?

(I just ask because that is what happened with a co-worker of mine. However, it did work into a good job for him in the long-term. But what he thought at first was a company contacting him actually turned out to be a type of employment agency contacting him. So they were very vague).

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey swampjedi,
Contacted friend. He said that he does work from job to job, not hour to hour. He charges $120 for an hour-long consultation. [Eek!] (I need to get into this field!) For jobs, he estimates how long it will take him if he just codes like mad, and charges $40-$50 per hour for that. Normally he doesn't work quite that hard, so the job ends up earning him around $20 to $30 per hour. He also has a lot of certifications, which allow him to push up his rates a bit.

Hope that helps! [Smile]

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swampjedi
Member # 7374

Thank you Jhai.

Farmgirl - I'm not all that interested in contracting yet, as I'd rather have the security of a full time job. They're just out there, for the moment.

My First Interview (tm) tomorrow! [Big Grin]

Swampjedi
Member # 7374

Well, it went ok. The CTO interviewed me, and asked me some questions that I couldn't recall the answers to (best way to solve Traveling Salesman, how to solve TSP using Linear Programing, 2 stage commit). I nailed the J2EE EJB stuff though.
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Jhai: unfortunately, the realities of most freelancing mean a freelancer's equivalent hourly salary is maybe half (at most) what he charges.

A pretty decent computer systems architect, freelancing, charges well over $100 an hour, billed by hours worked.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swampjedi
Member # 7374

Well, they called me back today - apparently I impressed the CTO and he told the HR lady to move me to the next part of the process. Educational verification, criminal history, work history - all things that I'm not worried about. She said at that point (after the things have come back) that she would be in the position to make me an offer.

Does this sound like I have the job if I check out (which I do)? Or am I excited over nothing?

edgardu
Member # 242

- posted      Profile for edgardu           Edit/Delete Post 
It does sound promising. They wouldn't be wasting time checking up on you if they weren't interested.
Posts: 176 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swampjedi
Member # 7374

Oh, I forgot to mention. When I finished the interview, the HR lady told me I'd hear from them in about a week and a half. I heard within 24 hours.

Of course, this could mean that the other candidates dropped out.

human_2.0
Member # 6006

- posted      Profile for human_2.0   Email human_2.0         Edit/Delete Post 
It sounds like you have the job to me. But once I was told I pretty much had a job and didn't hear back and finally I called and they said they hired someone else and didn't seem to care one wit they totally left me hanging.

I've heard of consulting rates from $50-$250.

Posts: 1209 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swampjedi
Member # 7374

I got an offer today! I'm so excited. It's a Java/J2EE position that was targeted to recent MS CS grads. I'm comfortable posting the salary, if that's not TMI.
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, if you want to tell us, who are we to argue? [Razz]

Congrats, btw. That's exciting! [Party]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
Way to go, swampjedi!
Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

[Big Grin]
DarkKnight
Member # 7536

- posted      Profile for DarkKnight   Email DarkKnight         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations!
Posts: 1918 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swampjedi
Member # 7374

Thank you everyone.

I've encountered some complications.

The Java Job (60k/yr) is now joined by the C Job (Electronic Warfare, AFB Job, 50k/yr).

The Java job promises to be a workaholic job. The CFO told me this - to expect the first couple of years to be very intense and lots of overtime. It's also in Atlanta, the city that I hate.

The C job is 10k less a year, but in a MUCH cheaper part of the state (Warner Robins). They are very laid back. They pay me to go to the gym 3 hours a week. Overtime is not paid, but instead transferred into vacation time. It's in a slow part of the state. No awful commute. The big drawback is that I don't have an offer. The hiring guy told me that he's as sure as he can be that I have the job... but that the process takes 6 weeks. So if I wait for it, that's 6 more weeks at home.

Family is of utmost importance to me. I don't have one currently, or even the possibility of one. However, I don't want to work so hard that I have no time for a girlfriend. The Java job, while offering better rewards, expects much more. I just don't know if I'm willing to sell my soul for money.

I'm not thinking about it right now. I have faith that God will lead me where He wants me to be.

I interview with the Air Force Base tomorrow.

Swampjedi
Member # 7374

I want the job at the base. None of the 70-hour a week nonsense. They made it a point to say that they rarely do more than 40. When overtime is needed, it's either paid, or an equal amount is credited to vacation time.

The place was just so relaxed. The work they do is cool, too. They have the electronic guts of a B1 Bomber inside the facility! [Big Grin]

Furthermore, the retirement plan was light years better for the government job.

I want that job. I feel like that's where I'm supposed to be.

Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
I assume paid overtime means an hourly, not salary position?

Might want to think about that.

Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
Swampjedi-

I took the "base job" (I actually do work on an airforce base, for a pseudo-government organization) rather than the "gobs-of-money" job. I haven't regretted it so far. I think my wife is pretty happy about it, too [Smile]

<edit> and it may help to think of that $10,000 difference as an hourly wage. If you're regularly working, say, 20 hrs more a week that's an extra 1000 hrs a year (assuming 2 weeks vacation), which is a $10/hour wage. Significantly less than your 40-hour a week base salary (appr. $25/hour).</edit>

Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swampjedi
Member # 7374

Yeah, thanks Retep. I thought of that today on the way home. I don't think my sanity is worth that.

Valentine, the position is salary. Apparently overtime pay is relatively rare. The extra time off is not.

Swampjedi
Member # 7374

I got the Air Force civ job, and I start May 15th. I believe it was worth the 4 month wait. Warner Robins GA, here I come! I already have my apartment, furniture is ordered, and I'm packing. It'll be strange to be out of my parents home for the first time in my almost 24 years. But dang, does it ever feel good.

Thanks everyone for resume help and job advice!

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
CONGRATS on the new job, SwampJedi!

Thanks for letting us know an update!

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

Congratulations, SJ. I hope everything turns out well. I'm glad you got the job you wanted.
Swampjedi
Member # 7374

Thanks SR and FG. I felt/feel strongly that this job is where God wants me. Turning down a great job for the chance at job with lower salary was quite a test of faith, lemme tell ya.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.