FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Petals Around the Rose (A game) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Petals Around the Rose (A game)
Zarex
Member # 8504

- posted      Profile for Zarex   Email Zarex         Edit/Delete Post 
This is a game that has been driving me insane for the past three days.

If you can figure it out, well and good for you. But please don't post spoilers. I posted this so I could share my agony with my friends on Hatrack.

Petals Around the Roses

My only consolation is that supposedly the smarter you are, the longer it takes.

Posts: 250 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
Took me about a minute to figure out. My second theory on how to answer proved to be correct.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
My only consolation is that supposedly the smarter you are, the longer it takes.
Oy. I must be really dumb.
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow....this is really frustrating. *Brandishes fist at Zarex*
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coccinelle
Member # 5832

- posted      Profile for Coccinelle   Email Coccinelle         Edit/Delete Post 
woo hoo! first theory was right [Smile]
Posts: 862 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lukelmiller
Member # 137

- posted      Profile for lukelmiller   Email lukelmiller         Edit/Delete Post 
A little more than a minute, but I did get it. Now, this isn't really a hint, so I hope you don't mind - but if you read the instructions it says that the game can be played with five dice on a table. So that tells you something about some patterns that aren't relevant (as in, with five dice on a table there's no order of dice, no first or last.)
Posts: 97 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
How many times have we had this thread now?
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Second theory. Took about 3 seconds.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
If we've had it before, I haven't seen it.

But my first theory was right.

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiua
Member # 7825

- posted      Profile for aiua   Email aiua         Edit/Delete Post 
Gotch'y'all beat. 3 theories- 1 minute.
Posts: 1215 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
It took me an hour to figure the damn thing out the first time I encountered it. Too smart, that's me.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
This is the third time this thread has been posted, to the best of my recollection. The first time around, a fair number of people -- especially our engineers and math majors -- had serious trouble "solving" it; this new batch of Hatrackers must be smarter. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
Or lying.
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiua
Member # 7825

- posted      Profile for aiua   Email aiua         Edit/Delete Post 
Um..or stupid?
Posts: 1215 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
Two theories- about 30 seconds.
Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Or we all forgot that we'd seen it before, but solved it faster because we had?
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I remembered how to do it. [Smile]

First time it took me hours and in the end I cheated.

I am really bad at these things - I always come up with the most convoluted mathematical theories and patterns.

I think last time I was convinced it was all in Base 6.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Hooray! Oh, that didn't take very long at all. [Smile]
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
It took me a couple days first time I saw it ... but I did get it. There is hope
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
Meh. The whole "the smarter you are, the longer it takes" supposition was given by a professor who took a year to figure it out. If the engineers and math majors took longer than others I'd say it means they're overanalyzing it and ignoring the question.

Just my $0.02 though.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, I'm really smart, alright. Grrr.... [Wall Bash]

Edit: okay, I've got it now. Talk about overthinking. It was the "requires basic math" part that threw me. Let's see, that took maybe ... half an hour.

[ December 08, 2005, 12:12 AM: Message edited by: JennaDean ]

Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jennabean
Member # 8590

- posted      Profile for jennabean   Email jennabean         Edit/Delete Post 
OH how weird I just found that last night. It took me like six tries. Notttt too hard.
Posts: 308 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
Gah. I can't get it at all.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, I appear to have gotten it, but it's a theory I tried several times before and didn't work. I'm so confused now.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
I remember this a long while back. When I first encounted it, I pondered it for about 20 minutes and couldn't figure it out. I later came back to it and was able to get it. It frustrated the heck out of me, though.
Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
human_2.0
Member # 6006

- posted      Profile for human_2.0   Email human_2.0         Edit/Delete Post 
I would have never figured it out with out the instructions. "How you define the problem" "imagination" "smart people take longer".

So I decided to think like a dumb person (just kidding, just quit thinking tricky things like Soduko requires) and I finally got it in a few minutes.

Posts: 1209 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
[smart-assed insult] What do you mean, 'decided' to think like a dumb person? [/smart-assed insult]
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
human_2.0
Member # 6006

- posted      Profile for human_2.0   Email human_2.0         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]

I didn't mean to offend anyone really.

I just thought, ok, what does the author mean by "smart people take longer" and I decided he meant that they try and find a N solution (N = logical, whatever). So I wondered what a "dumb" person "with imagination" would think. It wasn't hard after that.

Posts: 1209 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
i couldn't get this AT ALL the last time it was posted, and i'm pretty sure Strider never figure it out either.

I got it in under two minutes this time around.

edit: hmpf, apparently Strider did figure it out. i guess i remembered the answer...i felt so cool! [Frown]

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zarex
Member # 8504

I still don't get it!!

[Wall Bash] [Wall Bash] [Wall Bash] [Wall Bash]

Posts: 250 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I've done this before and it didn't take me very long.

And it's not to do with smart-or-not its to do with your math-type skills. The more mathematical experience you have, the more you're likely to look in the wrong place for the answers. If you approach the problem with a very non-mathematical brain you're more likely to get the answer faster because you don't immediately go to that analytical style of thinking.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Spent two minutes, couldn't get it, read this thread, got it immediately. I'm not sure where the clue is in the this thread, but it did the trick.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
First theory - confirmed with first 4 rolls.
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
Did this in third grade. A teacher just rolled the dice for two or three minutes at the end of each class. Took about four or five class periods to get it.
Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
Aha! Got it in about five minutes. I didn't time it, so I'm not sure of the exact time. Without giving it away, I suspected something like the answer from the first, but got sidetracked into the math. This is a cool game; I'm sure it would drive my husband crazy for hours. [Evil]

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Holy crap, do I feel stupid! I've come back to this durn thing every other day or so since it first appeared, and I only NOW just got it!

[Wall Bash]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
Haven't gotten it right once. I must be a friggin' genius! Stupid game...grumble...
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zarex
Member # 8504

I just got it!!!!! Hooray!!! I'm a genius, cigars for everyone. Drinks on the house!
[The Wave] [The Wave] [The Wave] [The Wave] [The Wave] [The Wave] [The Wave] [The Wave]

Hamson
Member # 7808

- posted      Profile for Hamson   Email Hamson         Edit/Delete Post 
Took a couple seconds to run past a theory or two in my head, and then the first one I tried worked.
Posts: 879 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
Ahh my brain is too Sudoku-ed up to do this!
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Guessed it correctly on the second roll, rolled a few more times to confirm.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zarex
Member # 8504

Well for you fast people there's no sense of accomplishment that I got from working on it every spare moment for three days then finally getting it.
R. Ann Dryden
Member # 8186

- posted      Profile for R. Ann Dryden   Email R. Ann Dryden         Edit/Delete Post 
If the title was "petals around the rose(s)" I would have gotten it right away. My first guess was actually right, but because I was missing the plurality I got it wrong and went down other paths. It took me awhile to come back to that first theory.
Posts: 180 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dantesparadigm
Member # 8756

- posted      Profile for dantesparadigm           Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, I'm very upset with all of you because you've managed to prevent me from doing my homework, but I finally got it, and felt like a retard. I ended up writing out 50 answers and doing statistical analysis. Thanks. Really.
Posts: 959 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
I second Katharina's statement. I was getting nowhere, then I read the thread, went back and got it first thing.
Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Took me about 15 guesses.

But even the successfull theory was a guess. I still don't get it. But I figured it out. But I don't know how. And I can't explain it.

This is usually the type of problem that would take me days to figure out. The hints here all helped.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
okay. got it now.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stray
Member # 4056

- posted      Profile for Stray   Email Stray         Edit/Delete Post 
Finally got it; it took me 10 or 15 minutes even having read this thread first.
Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
It was called "Petals on the Roses" when I did it twenty years ago.
Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
calaban
Member # 2516

- posted      Profile for calaban   Email calaban         Edit/Delete Post 
heh, first guess [Smile]
Posts: 686 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.